Imfukd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got a 9-8 in the Combined Science and enjoy Physics but everyone is telling me GCSE is piss easy in comparison to A-Level Physics, and I agree, but is it really that hard?
Shakiras Law
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If someone with 9-8s can't do A Level Physics, then tell me who else can? Someone with a 3?

Let's stop with the grade flexing yall. You'll be fine. Work hard and efficiently. It's not impossible.
Imfukd
Rep:
?
(Original post by pokii)
If someone with 9-8s can't do A Level Physics, then tell me who else can? Someone with a 3?

Let's stop with the grade flexing yall. You'll be fine. Work hard and efficiently. It's not impossible.
Yeah but I already briefly started the A-Level course with private tutors since July and it's so much harder. Just afraid it'll be this way the whole way through.
Shakiras Law
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Imfukd)
Yeah but I already briefly started the A-Level course with private tutors and it's so much harder. Just afraid it'll be this way the whole way through.
Of course it's going to be harder? Just like GCSEs were harder than anything you did in Year 7. Just keep up with the work and ask for help if you're stuck; you already have private tutors so money, resources and help is seemingly no issue for you. Don't overthink it too much
alexban
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a 9-8 in the Combined Science and enjoy Physics but everyone is telling me GCSE is piss easy in comparison to A-Level Physics, and I agree, but is it really that hard?
I got A* in physics IGCSE and your gcse grade really doesn't have anything to do with how you can do in physics A-level if I'm being brutally honest- it has to do with how much you love it and are willing to work for it. Pretty much anyone can get an A* in physics if they put the work and effort in not much skill is needed but that is most definitely not the case in A-level physics (this goes to say for pretty much all a levels not just physics).

I started a-levels doing physics and then quit like in April because it was too much for me (our physics class started with 15 and now has 5), all the people who left in the class are people who really really enjoy physics and are amazing at it and need to do the alevel for their course in uni.

I really hope this doesn't discourage you if you truly enjoy physics and feel you are good at it, I feel that the main reason which I stopped is because it just didnt click with me and I had to do triple the amount of studying compared to everyone in my class to get below average grades and it was making me fall out of love with physics; that being said I also had two pretty bad teachers in physics who made the work so dull so having good teachers really helps too feel free to ask me any questions if you want me to evaluate on something I said or if you have other worries
Imfukd
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexban)
I got A* in physics IGCSE and your gcse grade really doesn't have anything to do with how you can do in physics A-level if I'm being brutally honest- it has to do with how much you love it and are willing to work for it. Pretty much anyone can get an A* in physics if they put the work and effort in not much skill is needed but that is most definitely not the case in A-level physics (this goes to say for pretty much all a levels not just physics).

I started a-levels doing physics and then quit like in April because it was too much for me (our physics class started with 15 and now has 5), all the people who left in the class are people who really really enjoy physics and are amazing at it and need to do the alevel for their course in uni.

I really hope this doesn't discourage you if you truly enjoy physics and feel you are good at it, I feel that the main reason which I stopped is because it just didnt click with me and I had to do triple the amount of studying compared to everyone in my class to get below average grades and it was making me fall out of love with physics; that being said I also had two pretty bad teachers in physics who made the work so dull so having good teachers really helps too feel free to ask me any questions if you want me to evaluate on something I said or if you have other worries
Thanks this is what I was looking for. Just don't want to pick up a subject then find out it was a mistake several months in.
JaydorIV
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's hard, but it's fun so you'll be fine👍
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any A-Level subject is hard and there is a gap between GCSEs and A-Levels but if you work hard by focusing in lessons and revising for exams you'll be fine.
username3262012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
physics is actually easy at a level. same with maths subjects. biology is surprisingly hard
Imfukd
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Any A-Level subject is hard and there is a gap between GCSEs and A-Levels but if you work hard by focusing in lessons and revising for exams you'll be fine.
The jump in Physics GCSE to Physics A-Level is far bigger than any other subjects though.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The jump in Physics GCSE to Physics A-Level is far bigger than any other subjects though.
I don't study A-Level Physics but there is a big jump in all subjects not just Physics.
Bogotá
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Went from a low A at GCSE to a high A at AS, just work hard. It’s quite different to GCSE
username3262012
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i really didnt feel a jump from physics gcse to a level, but i did for biology. trust me, biology is harder, all my friends think so too.
got quite a high A* in physics and mid A in biology when i put more effort into biology
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The new gcse is a bit harder than the old one but think general consensus is that it doesn't prepare you great for a-level. What did you get in maths gcse? Physics is very mathematical so if you wanted to do anything with physics after a-level you'd need maths too. If you wanted physics as one on the side then you'd still need to be fairly competent at gcse maths to be able to handle the algebra involved.
Imfukd
Rep:
?
Thing is though, I got a 9-8 in the combined science and didn't do the separate sciences so the skill gap is probably huge.
cosmin0406
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Physics is know to be one of the hardest a levels.Doing maths with A-Level physics helps a lot, especially the mechanics bit. You just need to revise a lot and keep the stuff fresh in your mind. Physics is more about exam practice, ask your teacher to give you lots of exam questions for every chapter. Also, knowing the 12 practicals helps, some questions are related to practicals you did. I got A at gcse physics, i still find some chapter from the physics book hard, especially electricity one.

If you want to do physics, you need to be good at maths or do maths at a level because they link so much is unreal. Some parts of the chapters are exactly the same. Maybe have a look at the course and try learn the first chapter. At first you will be like WT* is this, but after you revise it starts to make sense. Because you got 9-8 i guess you are a smart student, so you know you need to revise a lot.

A big difference between a level and gcse is that at gcse you can revise 1-2 days before and still manage to pass. At a level if you revise even 1 week before trying to learn everything(which i think its impossible as there are 400 pages) you are likely to get less than an C. I dont want to put you off, this is how i feel about physics. You are a smart student so i think if you work hard and you think this course is going to help you to complete the course you want at uni you should do it.

dm me if you want to ask me something, i can send you some good revision sites so you can see how its like.
LG as you were x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh the jump is large, but quite honestly GCSE physics is piss easy, so it’s not that hard. First year really tells you whether you can do it or not because it is actually easy if you put work in, and although second year is harder, it’s not unbearable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (272)
67.16%
No (133)
32.84%

Watched Threads