The Student Room Group

Good enough for vet medicine?

Hi guys, I'm looking to take Veterinary Medicine at university and I was wondering whether my results at GCSE are good enough to try for it- my results are the following:

Physics- 9
Chemistry- 9
Biology- 9
Maths- 8
English Lang- 8
German- 8
Geography- 8
Music- 7 (3 marks off an 8 so i may press for a remark)
English Lit- 6
Design and Tech- 6

For A level I'm taking Biology, Physics and Chemistry as well.

I was just worried because of the low grades in English Lit and DT- if anyone could give an insight into whether they're a big enough issue to be concerned about, that'd be wonderful! Thanks!
Yes, your grades are definitely fine for Vet Med.

If you google something like "Vet med gcse requirements" one of the first results will be a PDF from RVC summarising the requirements of all the UK vet schools. I would link, but as it's a PDF it's a bit tricky.

Don't forget you will need plenty of work experience for Vet Med as well.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Yes, your grades are definitely fine for Vet Med.

If you google something like "Vet med gcse requirements" one of the first results will be a PDF from RVC summarising the requirements of all the UK vet schools. I would link, but as it's a PDF it's a bit tricky.

Don't forget you will need plenty of work experience for Vet Med as well.

Thanks for the speedy reply, was just concerned as i've been doing work experience at a practice for 2 weeks now and I've loved every moment of it! I've secured long term work experience at the place and i'm shadowing consultations once a week; another quick question though, would work experience at say a supermarket or small shop be good? Just thinking about the human aspect of the job.
Original post by Ruuski
Thanks for the speedy reply, was just concerned as i've been doing work experience at a practice for 2 weeks now and I've loved every moment of it! I've secured long term work experience at the place and i'm shadowing consultations once a week; another quick question though, would work experience at say a supermarket or small shop be good? Just thinking about the human aspect of the job.

You're better off going for non-clinical work with animals so e.g. on a farm, at a riding stables, as a lot of unis ask for this as well as clinical work.

I know RVC ask specifically for 70 hours of non-clinical work with animals (as I looked it up for someone the other day). So I'd focus on that before getting customer service experience- although if you want to get a job anyway, then I'm sure it won't hurt.
yes those grades are amazing well done
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You're better off going for non-clinical work with animals so e.g. on a farm, at a riding stables, as a lot of unis ask for this as well as clinical work.

I know RVC ask specifically for 70 hours of non-clinical work with animals (as I looked it up for someone the other day). So I'd focus on that before getting customer service experience- although if you want to get a job anyway, then I'm sure it won't hurt.

Ah right, thanks! I did have some work experience with a local farm planned (as i'm looking moreso at livestock and equine as opposed to small animal) but they seemed to be really indecisive as to when they wanted me in. I live in an area where there are a lot of stables, so I guess I could apply to work at one for a while. Thanks once again!
Reply 6
Original post by TofAndMow
yes those grades are amazing well done

Thanks! Hope all went well for you too.
Original post by Ruuski
Thanks! Hope all went well for you too.

haha didn't do them
Original post by Ruuski
Ah right, thanks! I did have some work experience with a local farm planned (as i'm looking moreso at livestock and equine as opposed to small animal) but they seemed to be really indecisive as to when they wanted me in. I live in an area where there are a lot of stables, so I guess I could apply to work at one for a while. Thanks once again!

Riding stables will often be happy to have you- riding schools are often set up to have U18 helpers.

A range of experience is always a good thing though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending