Struggling to understand when watching film

Watch this thread
HeartBlink
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A bit of background for you to understand - i speak urdu which i learnt from my family, i understand everything and don't struggle to watch shows in urdu but my vocabulary is quite weak.
I'm also a native French speaker and same again i don't struggle with understanding movies in french, i catch all the words and find no difficulty in it. But with English, it's just so weird watching a movie in English can get so annoying because I don't understand most of what is said, either because i don't hear the word (it's not articulated properly so i get it confused with another word) they speak too fast, use idioms I've no idea of or use slang I've never heard of so i miss like a whole conversation and get lost in the film, it just really annoying. With subtitles the problems is solved (except the idioms maybe) but it gets tiring reading subtitles instead of watching the scene. The problem isn't my understanding of English, it's how the words are said. Why is there so so many different ways of saying the the same word, and why can't they speak normally?
It's been 5 years almost that I've been learning/speaking English but i still struggle with slang and idioms and different accents. Anyone else feels this way? There are so many other non native English speakers but they seem to understand movies fine, why can't i?
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HeartBlink)
A bit of background for you to understand - i speak urdu which i learnt from my family, i understand everything and don't struggle to watch shows in urdu but my vocabulary is quite weak.
I'm also a native French speaker and same again i don't struggle with understanding movies in french, i catch all the words and find no difficulty in it. But with English, it's just so weird watching a movie in English can get so annoying because I don't understand most of what is said, either because i don't hear the word (it's not articulated properly so i get it confused with another word) they speak too fast, use idioms I've no idea of or use slang I've never heard of so i miss like a whole conversation and get lost in the film, it just really annoying. With subtitles the problems is solved (except the idioms maybe) but it gets tiring reading subtitles instead of watching the scene. The problem isn't my understanding of English, it's how the words are said. Why is there so so many different ways of saying the the same word, and why can't they speak normally?
It's been 5 years almost that I've been learning/speaking English but i still struggle with slang and idioms and different accents. Anyone else feels this way? There are so many other non native English speakers but they seem to understand movies fine, why can't i?
I think because English is so widely spoken across so many countries and regions there's a lot of accents and dialect changes. I think use youtube and watch people with a range of accent on the more extreme ends. Over time hopefully you;ll get more used to them
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You must realise that French and Urdu are spoken with a wide variety of accents too. So if you can understand those languages without a problem, you will be able to pick it up in English eventually. Watch films in which the spoken English is closer to your own accent and/or the accent you're most used to hearing. For example, if you live in the UK but watch lots of American films with different accents and slang that you won't hear in the UK, you're not doing yourself any favours. I agree with what was said above, you need to keep speaking and listening to people with different accents as that will improve your understanding of dialogue in films.

I can sympathise - Urdu is my second language and I understand it perfectly when there is no accent, e.g. in Pakistani dramas or in Hindi films with shuddh Hindi. But when I watch Hindi films with regional accents or old/traditional language, I struggle and use the subtitles more. I've never been to India and never heard some of the accents or colloquialisms from the films in real life. There's nothing wrong with needing that little bit of help.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It happens to me when watching a British movie (especially ones with a low budget, which are usually pretty good). I don't hear everything and struggling to understand the accent/dialect. I end up rewatching parts of it many times, which ruins the flow of the film...
Happens to me with Ukrainian even more. I can undrstand it when spoken in a city accent/dialect but can't really catch what a countrymen/villager says.
Vinny C
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Practice, practice, practice. The TV was one of the last things I understood after learning French.
Vinny C
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
It happens to me when watching a British movie (especially ones with a low budget, which are usually pretty good). I don't hear everything and struggling to understand the accent/dialect. I end up rewatching parts of it many times, which ruins the flow of the film...
Happens to me with Ukrainian even more. I can undrstand it when spoken in a city accent/dialect but can't really catch what a countrymen/villager says.
Neither can the British half the time, lol.
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What sorts of films?

Trainspotting was iirc subtitled for release in the USA
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...s-1349197.html

maybe start on easier, American friendly films with BBC accents e.g. Hugh Grant rom-coms and work your way up from there to Local Hero, Ken Loach movies and Trainspotting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads