How many A-Levels should I take if i want to go to Oxbridge? Watch

idkeither41
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have been told to do 3A-Levels and I'm doing maths, chemistry and biology but should I do 4 just for one year so when I apply it looks better? *EDIT* I want to do medicine at university and I read through some other threads and they said that because its a STEM subject i should do 4? But I want to do my 4th as Eng Lang so I was asking if there was any point.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by idkeither41)
I have been told to do 3A-Levels and I'm doing maths, chemistry and biology but should I do 4 just for one year so when I apply it looks better?
Three is honestly fine. 3 excellent grades outweighs 4 slightly weaker ones.

However, if you have the chance to start 4 and drop on at the end of Y12, that can be a good option- especially if you wanted to keep your subject choice options more open.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Three is honestly fine. 3 excellent grades outweighs 4 slightly weaker ones.

However, if you have the chance to start 4 and drop on at the end of Y12, that can be a good option- especially if you wanted to keep your subject choice options more open.
We endorse this advice.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Those 3 are perfectly fine. IMO, you should only take 4 if the extra one is:

-a language you're fluent in, OR
-further maths (and even then, only if you actually like maths).

You may have the option of taking 4 subjects to AS-level and then dropping one.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been told to do 3A-Levels and I'm doing maths, chemistry and biology but should I do 4 just for one year so when I apply it looks better?
Three unless your really want to add Further Maths.

Which course?
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't apply with 4 with the intention of dropping one, you will have to notify each uni individually. Then they can review their offer to you, or when you apply some unis can even make a four-grade offer
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For which course?

(Original post by Zaporizhia)
Don't apply with 4 with the intention of dropping one, you will have to notify each uni individually. Then they can review their offer to you, or when you apply some unis can even make a four-grade offer
You can take the AS-levels and drop one at the end of Y12 before applying with no risk of getting a four grade offer.

Also most universities, including Oxbridge, are usually fine with dropping a less relevant A-level partway through Y13, but yes the candidate must always check in advance before dropping it in those circumstances.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
We endorse this advice.
Thank you
meediaabid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Technically yes, but it's much easier splitting your time around 3 AS levels than 4. Do it if you really think it will benefit you as your place at university normally just rests on the 3 grades you get in two years time.
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
For which course?

You can take the AS-levels and drop one at the end of Y12 before applying with no risk of getting a four grade offer.

Also most universities, including Oxbridge, are usually fine with dropping a less relevant A-level partway through Y13, but yes the candidate must always check in advance before dropping it in those circumstances.
I think the OP was talking about applying with four, so 'it looks better', which I wouldn't advise given my experience of doing four
idkeither41
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Three unless your really want to add Further Maths.

Which course?
at uni, medicine
idkeither41
Rep:
?
For which course?

# to do medicine in uni
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
at uni, medicine
Definitely stick to your choice of three then.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zaporizhia)
I think the OP was talking about applying with four, so 'it looks better', which I wouldn't advise given my experience of doing four
No they said "just for one year".

# to do medicine in uni
Ok, it's definitely not needed then - an EPQ might be a better idea if you want to stretch yourself a bit in Y12.

FM would be the usual 4th A-level and that's really not very helpful for Medicine. Ditto Physics.
idkeither41
Rep:
?
No they said "just for one year".

Ok, it's definitely not needed then - an EPQ might be a better idea if you want to stretch yourself a bit in Y12.

FM would be the usual 4th A-level and that's really not very helpful for Medicine. Ditto Physics.
do you think that me applying with 3 A-Levels will negatively affect my chances? Like do you think they'll prefer someone with further maths as well as Chem, Bio and maths?
moggygeorgieee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah 3 is fine, take it from an Ox student x
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do you think that me applying with 3 A-Levels will negatively affect my chances? Like do you think they'll prefer someone with further maths as well as Chem, Bio and maths?
No. And I thought I already addressed that very point...

PS. I've moved this to the Medicine forum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads