The Student Room Group

Can I still get into Oxford to study medicine with these GCSE results?

In my GCSE's, completed in 2018, I came out with:
Maths:8
Biology:6
Chemistry:7
Physics:7
Religious Studies:7
Geography:5
French:3
English Literature:5
English Language:4
Business studies:B
ICT:B
I know my results are pretty poor but I do suffer from Dislexia and the exams were taken in Ramadan where Muslims such as myself fast which could be considered as extenuating circumstances. I would a precise it if you could tell me if their is any chance of me getting into Oxford to study medicine and if so then could you direct me to how much I would have to score in my BMAT exam and what other extra-curicular activities I should do to generate a reasonably competitive application.
Thank you for your help.
Original post by Shakeel Ibrahim
I know my results are pretty poor but I do suffer from Dislexia and the exams were taken in Ramadan where Muslims such as myself fast which could be considered as extenuating circumstances. I would a precise it if you could tell me if their is any chance of me getting into Oxford to study medicine and if so then could you direct me to how much I would have to score in my BMAT exam and what other extra-curicular activities I should do to generate a reasonably competitive application.
Thank you for your help.

Oxford publish stats for their Medicine course here: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Honestly, looking at those, your chances look very slim. I’m not sure how much your dyslexia will play into it but did you apply for special circumstances when you did your exams? I don’t think Ramadan will count as one, though.
Oxford are heavy on the GCSE's so I wouldn't recommend applying with those GCSE's-Cambridge would be a better option
Thank you for your help.

Ramadan is not extenuating circumstances, it’s a ritual you choose to engage in and it was a poor decision to do so if it affected your grades negatively, which is what you’re subtly implying.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
You're incredibly unlikely to get into oxford, I strongly suggest looking into other medical schools. And no, Ramadan is not an extenuating circumstance...
Thank you for your help.

All medicine degrees are equal so I would look elsewhere.
Thank you for your help.

Simple answer is no. Ramadhan isn't extenuating at all (I'm a Muslim myself and a lot of people fast during the uni med exams too)
thankyou for your replies but then I would also like to add, after these results say if I get really good results in my A-Level's and BMAT exams, would that show extreme improvement and so could that benafit me or would that just be considered as normal/ insignificant?
If you are looking at doing medicine and practicing in the UK, it really doesn't matter which Uni you go to. The wages in the NHS are the same regardless and jobs are guaranteed out of uni AFAIK, unless this is a personal goal if so disregard.
thankyou for your replies but then I would also like to add, after these results say if I get really good results in my A-Level's and BMAT exams, would that show extreme improvement and so could that benafit me or would that just be considered as normal/ insignificant?

If you got an extremely good BMAT its not impossible. Just very very improbable.

If Oxford start to accept the September BMAT, and you still aren't letting go of this idea, then you could sit the BMAT and see how your result is before you apply. It will need to be truly exceptional though.
okay thankyou.
I guess I'll seriously have to think about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending