Social anthropology vs anthropology Watch

Animalstudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Could someone please explain to me the difference between social anthropology and anthropology when studying it as a degree

University of Roehampton offer both but I don’t understand the difference?
I’m considering applying for it when I finish my college course
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Animalstudent)
Could someone please explain to me the difference between social anthropology and anthropology when studying it as a degree

University of Roehampton offer both but I don’t understand the difference?
I’m considering applying for it when I finish my college course
Sit down and work your way through each module to work out what the differences are. You might find that the modules are similar with some minor differences to cover the social part of things.
Ann_ette
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anthropology broadly deals with the science that studies humans in its broadest sense, ranging from evolutionary origins, physical and cultural diversity and changes to the social and political organization of societies. I usually describe anth as bridging human biology and sociology because in order to understand humanity we must not create superficial categories such as medicine, human bio, social science, rather in order to understand the human species we need to adopt a holistic and interdisciplinary approach, this is what anthropology does. Yet, most university institutions differentiate between biological anthropology (genetics, evolution, research in labs) and social anthropology (social science, social theory, research method is ethnographic fieldwork), some also offer medial anthropology. Social anthropologist usually have nothing to do with evolution, physiology, hormones, genetics etc. whereas biological anthropologists do. Social Anth studies human cultural and social diversity, literature draws on social theory and social anth have developed their own unique method: ethnography/participant observation. This means that their empirical work is based on the collection of QUALITATIVE data, rather than quantitative; anthropologists go to the field (a field site can be the village where ebola outbreaks frequently occur, north east Harlem, gehttos in London to study youth culture, populations with high numbers of teenage pregnancy, divorce rates, or heart disease rates, or something more "exotic" such as the impact of the buildings of dams in papua new guinea or the consequences of genetically engineered crops in the amazon) where they spend months or even years to try to understand the "native's point of view", to answer the WHY and HOW questions regarding human behavior, questions which cannot be fully answered by applying quantitative methods/statistics.
So, to respond to your questions, if they offer a "social anth" course, then most likely by saying "anthropology" only, they mean biological anthropology.
Last edited by Ann_ette; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed