The Student Room Group

Good enough for Cambridge Economics?

I’m hoping to do economics at Cambridge following my A-levels. Are these GCSE results going to be adequate?

Geography- 9
History- 8
French- 9
English Lit.- 8
English Language- 9
Biology- 9
Chemistry- 8
Physics- 9
Maths- 8 (worried)
Photography- 6 (worried)
Further Maths- A (worried)

I plan to do History, Economics, Maths and AS Further Maths at 6th Form.

I think they should be ok, as I have heard that Cambridge are less bothered about GCSEs than Oxford, and I’m willing to work really hard on my maths to get top grades.

Thanks
Reply 1
Without a doubt. It's a misconception that your GCSEs have to be flawless. Your A-level selection is excellent too.
I'm actually thinking about applying to Cambridge as well for Economics. I think you have really strong GCSEs and we're both taking similar A Levels too. I think you'll be fine in terms of clearing their GCSE hurdle, but it's your AS and A level results they truly care about.

You're fine.
Original post by Sinnoh
Without a doubt. It's a misconception that your GCSEs have to be flawless. Your A-level selection is excellent too.

Thanks so much. Made me a little nervous seeing people getting 7,8,9x 9s with A*s on their FM!
Original post by _Poseidon_
I'm actually thinking about applying to Cambridge as well for Economics. I think you have really strong GCSEs and we're both taking similar A Levels too. I think you'll be fine in terms of clearing their GCSE hurdle, but it's your AS and A level results they truly care about.

You're fine.

Thanks for your advice! Good luck next year 👍
Cambridge actually don't put that much weight on GCSEs, I know many people who have got into Cambridge with As and Bs at GCSE - you're good.

Quick Reply

Latest