The Student Room Group

Are these grades competitive enough for Oxbridge?

I recently received my GCSE grades and I was wondering whether they are high enough to make a future application to Oxbridge competitive. The course I would be applying to is one of English Literature, History or Law.

Geography - 8
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Drama - 7
History - 9
French - 9
RE - 8

The reason I am worried is because I don't have a high proportion of 9s and my grade in Maths is only a 7 which might be a problem for Law.
Reply 1
Yes, these grades are competitive enough for Oxbridge. All of your grades are at the level of A/A*, with a higher proportion of your grades aligned with the legacy A*, which is expected of an Oxbridge candidate.
Original post by astones08
I recently received my GCSE grades and I was wondering whether they are high enough to make a future application to Oxbridge competitive. The course I would be applying to is one of English Literature, History or Law.

Geography - 8
English Literature - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 7
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 8
Physics - 8
Drama - 7
History - 9
French - 9
RE - 8

The reason I am worried is because I don't have a high proportion of 9s and my grade in Maths is only a 7 which might be a problem for Law.

Firstly, these are an amazing set of results, well done you!

I should say this is competitive enough for Oxbridge so I wouldn't worry at all. If you really, really want to resit the Maths GCSE you can do it alongside your A-Levels in the November exams, but I don't really see the point in doing so tbh.

Just make sure you don't relax during A-Levels and keep smashing it! It's a huge step up, but you should be able to tackle it with those grades!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest