A Level German help Watch

rachaellouwhite
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So I got my GCSE results today and have elected to take A-Level German ( I got a 7 at GCSE). What should I expect? How should I revise for the start of the year?

Many thanks,
Rachael. xs
Lmaoihategcses
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rachaellouwhite)
So I got my GCSE results today and have elected to take A-Level German ( I got a 7 at GCSE). What should I expect? How should I revise for the start of the year?

Many thanks,
Rachael. xs
Hello! I'm about to go into year 13 and I do A-level German (predicted an A in A-level and I got A* at GCSE). I think the difficulty may depend on what exam board you do, not too sure though. I do AQA and I find it to be quite a chill subject and really relaxing compared to my other subjects, at this point you start getting the hang of all the grammar stuff that was really tricky at GCSE for sure. However, my friend does Edexcel German and got the same GCSE result as me, and she says Edexcel is extremely difficult so that's something to bear in mind.

It is a good idea to get a grammar workbook and work through grammar in your spare time, whether that be on the bus or in your free periods. But once you get the hang of the grammar, like sentence order and stuff, it all starts to naturally fall into place and you find yourself just coming out with grammatically correct sentences, if that makes sense? The best thing is practice, practice, practice.

I really, REALLY recommend getting the Quizlet app on your phone. It is amazing for vocabulary revision. The best thing about Quizlet is that you can just search your exam board and the topic, and most likely people have already compiled that list of vocabulary for you. From there, you can practice all the vocab until you've mastered it. My teacher does one vocabulary test a week to ensure we've got the hang of it.

Aside from that, I listen to a lot of German music and analyse the lyrics so you can get used to hearing German. Some good bands/artists I recommend is Dat Adam, Kraftklub, K.I.Z, but look around and have a browse on Spotify or YouTube to see if you can find anyone that you enjoy listening to. German films and TV shows are good too! Start off with English subtitles, then German subtitles and then when you're confident enough, no subtitles!

Another app recommendation I have is Tandem, which is a language-learning app where you can speak to native speakers of a language that you're learning. You can chat with them, video call them and it's really useful because you help them learn English and they help you learn German!

That's all I can think of saying right now. German is a really fun A-level and I'm so glad I chose it If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
rachaellouwhite
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you! I’ll give your suggestions a try xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
evoevo101
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rachaellouwhite)

Many thanks,
Rachael. xs
Learn ur irregular verbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads