The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

UoS halls? Ask me anything!

Hi all, I lived in Connaught, Wessex Lane (aka the best place ever) in my first year and had friends in almost all of the other halls (Glen Eyre, Montfoire, Archer's Road, Mayflower, Highfield & Gateway). I also had friends in private rented and private student accommodation providers. AMA! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bekahw96
Hi all, I lived in Connaught, Wessex Lane (aka the best place ever) in my first year and had friends in almost all of the other halls (Glen Eyre, Montfoire, Archer's Road, Mayflower, Highfield & Gateway). I also had friends in private rented and private student accommodation providers. AMA! :smile:

yo I was assigned to Glen Eyre Brunei House and I am just wondering about the general feeling there / opinion on the halls.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Iolu
yo I was assigned to Glen Eyre Brunei House and I am just wondering about the general feeling there / opinion on the halls.
Ah Brunei! It's at the back of the main Glen Eyre site, behind the big newer buildings. It's a cute little building with trees surrounding half of it. It's not the most modern inside, but it's got a really nice homey feel and great heating. Glen Eyre itself is a really great spot, with plenty of opportunities to make friends. It's also the perfect distance from Highfield Campus. Everyone I know who lived in Glen absolutely loved it, and I'm sure you will too :smile:
Reply 3
Ah Brunei! It's at the back of the main Glen Eyre site, behind the big newer buildings. It's a cute little building with trees surrounding half of it. It's not the most modern inside, but it's got a really nice homey feel and great heating. Glen Eyre itself is a really great spot, with plenty of opportunities to make friends. It's also the perfect distance from Highfield Campus. Everyone I know who lived in Glen absolutely loved it, and I'm sure you will too :smile:

Hey, I got South Hill in Glen Eyre (my 2nd choice) and I was just wondering what your general opinion was on there, whether there's a common room or something there, etc?
Reply 5
Original post by Collosso.james
Hey, I got South Hill in Glen Eyre (my 2nd choice) and I was just wondering what your general opinion was on there, whether there's a common room or something there, etc?

I have to admit, I haven't been inside South Hill. However, it has the bus stop right outside which is super convinient with the free bus pass. Here's a map of where it is in relation to the rest of Glen Eyre, and you'll be about a 5 min walk from Highfield Campus. The building looks really nice from the outside, too! GlenEyreHallsJUNE2012.jpg
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
For a student with a lower budget, which one is a better option - uni accommodation or private rentals?Also is the free bus pass only for the campus or the whole city as well? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by obl
For a student with a lower budget, which one is a better option - uni accommodation or private rentals?Also is the free bus pass only for the campus or the whole city as well? :smile:

The bus pass is for ALL Unilink and Bluestar buses throughout Southampton city (except for the Unilink night bus, which is literally only in the middle of the night)! I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I definitely found it cheaper living in Catered, non-ensuite accommodation than in private housing. Connaught category 1 is around £5500, I believe, and you're saving money and time on food. In private housing, unexpectedly high bills were a killer and kinda stressful - so I'd recommend the cheaper Uni accommodation!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
The bus pass is for ALL Unilink and Bluestar buses throughout Southampton city (except for the Unilink night bus, which is literally only in the middle of the night)! I'm not sure of exact numbers, but I definately found it cheaper living in Catered, non-ensuite accommodation than in private housing. Connaught category 1 is around £5500, I believe, and you're saving money and time on food. In private housing, unexpectedly high bills were a killer and kinda stressful - so I'd recommend the cheaper Uni accommodation!

Reply 9
Hi could you tell me what Monetefiore is like? Any idea how many people shared a kitchen? Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Brody11
Hi could you tell me what Monetefiore is like? Any idea how many people shared a kitchen? Thanks
Monte is awesome! As it's also part of Wessex Lane, it's sort of the 'rival' of Connaught (in a funny way, we're all friends really!). The number of people to a kitchen depends on which block you're in - do you know? It's usually around 6 people, but this varies. Fun fact (at least, I think this is still true), numbers-wise it's the biggest halls in Europe, so loads of chances to make friends!
Reply 11
Monte is awesome! As it's also part of Wessex Lane, it's sort of the 'rival' of Connaught (in a funny way, we're all friends really!). The number of people to a kitchen depends on which block you're in - do you know? It's usually around 6 people, but this varies. Fun fact (at least, I think this is still true), numbers-wise it's the biggest halls in Europe, so loads of chances to make friends!

Sounds awesome i'm quite excited now, i'm in Montefiore 3 any idea how many people shared there or if its good block? Thanks again!
When's the latest someone is going to get their accommodation offer?
It seems like everyone else has gotten theirs while I'm still waiting.
Reply 13
Original post by Brody11
Sounds awesome i'm quite excited now, i'm in Montefiore 3 any idea how many people shared there or if its good block? Thanks again!

I think 3 is the type of room, the blocks are alphabetical - can you see a letter anywhere? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
When's the latest someone is going to get their accommodation offer?
It seems like everyone else has gotten theirs while I'm still waiting.

Hi @EstelOfTheEyrie our applications of accommodation are being sent out in small batches, and they have been since Monday 20th August and can take up until mid-September, so please do not worry that you have not yet received and offer!

Just keep checking your emails regularly and the Accommodation Portal to check the status of your application!
Please could you tell me what Roll Court is like? I have heard it has been refurbished over the Summer? Does it have the larger sized beds and how many share a kitchen? Any advice would be great!
What's the atmosphere of Mayflower like, is it a super noisy housing? I'm going with a baby and spouse and wondering if I should consider private housing instead? Not sure what the uni dorm life is like. Thanks!
Reply 17
Just got an offer for for non-ensuite cat 1c connaught. Is this what you had? If so I was worried cause they don’t look very cosey with wooden floors and brick walls in the room, what are your opinions of the room?
Reply 18
What’s it like being in part catered? Did you like it? The kitchens look pretty rubbish even though we need to cook still... where can you pre and just chill with your flat mates because there’s no seating in the kitchens?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending