The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Wanting to focus on childhood psychology - BA Childhood and Youth Studies or BSc Psyc

I'm looking at the above courses and I just want to know what it's like, if you feel it's a good course that'll open doors? - I want to eventually work as an educational psychologist.

I'm wanting to focus on childhood psychology, but I'm not sure if it's better to pick BSc in Psychology as it's more focused on psychology, or would childhood and youth studies be something worth looking into, as it's more child focused?

Also, I work 5 days a week, but if I were to go down to 4 days, do you think I'd be able to study 120 credits a year? I'm impatient and I don't want to have to study for the next 6 years while working in a career that's not related to my degree, unless I were to volunteer elsewhere - which would take more time away from studying!
Original post by Laceyvee
I'm looking at the above courses and I just want to know what it's like, if you feel it's a good course that'll open doors? - I want to eventually work as an educational psychologist.

I'm wanting to focus on childhood psychology, but I'm not sure if it's better to pick BSc in Psychology as it's more focused on psychology, or would childhood and youth studies be something worth looking into, as it's more child focused?

Also, I work 5 days a week, but if I were to go down to 4 days, do you think I'd be able to study 120 credits a year? I'm impatient and I don't want to have to study for the next 6 years while working in a career that's not related to my degree, unless I were to volunteer elsewhere - which would take more time away from studying!

Hi, I'm looking to become a Clinical psychologist in the future so that's a fairly similar field. If you're looking to become an Educational psychologist or any type of professional psychologist you'd typically need a BSc in psychology accredited by the BPS (British Psychological Society) in order to practice.

I'm not certain on how many hours a degree like that would require so it might be best to look at specific degrees offered by universities to see. Doing volunteer work in the area of interest would definitely be valuable!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending