ADD/ADHD Diagnosis **SO SORRY ABOUT THE LENGTH* Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,

So basically through all of my education (primary school, highschool and what little of college I attended before I dropped out) i've struggled with my concentration and a few other things.

*A little bit of background or somewhat relevant info: I'm now 25, female. I've always been predicted high grades. I went to three different high schools and lasted 2 months at college. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I am now enrolled on my 2nd year of my BSc with the Open University*

So yes, in primary school i was always told to pay attention. Parents evenings were always "She is bright and hard working but she seems to daydream, she would be way further ahead if she asked for help but unless it challenges her she doesn't seem interested and makes mistakes"

The same in my first high school, it would be "She seems to drift off and forget things but when she gives her focus to one thing she flies ahead of the class" I was kicked out of here because I seem to be impulsive and because of being rather short and quiet I was bullied.. ended up flipping out and beating the daylights out of two of the bullies. Not my best moment.

Second high school said the same, i was a year and a half ahead but only in the classes i paid attention and even so.. i walked around the classroom or i just got restless and couldn't pay attention. Or i would be allowed music via earphones. I was recommended to be tested by my head of Sciences.. but the wait list was so long and 6 months later I was thrown out due to skipping classes (my anxiety was awful at this point, not meeting my predicted grades and being terrified of zoning out and missing important things and generally hating my brain... caused me to have a meltdown so i stopped showing up).

Third high school was a hospital school, they put all the focus on getting me through my GCSEs. They let me walk around, they let me make tea and toast randomly. They let me wonder to the local shop for exercise if i was too worked up. They also helped me with anxiety medicine. They too mentioned that i might need to be assessed but meltdown left me so depressed.. the focus stayed on keeping me OK.

College was the same.. two months of my biology tutor saying "she needs to pay more attention, be more organised and not get so focussed on one thing all day".. my psychology tutor loved having me around. He let me record the classes and spent time afterwards some days bouncing ideas off each other while walking up and down the classroom. I learnt VERY fast in his class. It was engaging.However the pressure my biology tutor put on me telling me "I dont focus enough, i'm forgetting too many notes and homework assignments to stay" ...eventually i got depressed and anxious and stopped attending.

It was only when my psychology tutor reached out to me to see if there was anyway he could support my return, that he mentioned ADHD. I didnt really understand what it was but a few years later I met my current best friend. The only person who ever understood my brain and who I relate to. He has ADHD. He tells me often that he thinks i should bring it up to my GP.. but i never did so he supported me and gave me things to change instead that helped.

Basically i ended up making a GP appointment 3years ago in which i said "I would really like to ask you about ADHD or ADD in adults" I described briefly (and somewhat fast speaking) why i wanted advice. She immediately said "No its not ADHD but we can review your anxiety medication".

To which i replied, well thats the thing... that all started at school BECAUSE of the reasons why i'm here. I was never nervous or anxious before that. Even my own mother says shes always been convinced I have ADD but never sought an opinion because she thinks i get it from her.

Basically i'm now studying with the OU... and struggling to stay on track despite how much i love the course. I just cant focus. Story of my life...

Im not sure if i bring it up to my CBT Worker and see what she thinks.. or just try and power through and up my anxiety meds to calm down.

Anything beats downing 5 monster energy drinks a day to relax.
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

So basically through all of my education (primary school, highschool and what little of college I attended before I dropped out) i've struggled with my concentration and a few other things.

*A little bit of background or somewhat relevant info: I'm now 25, female. I've always been predicted high grades. I went to three different high schools and lasted 2 months at college. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I am now enrolled on my 2nd year of my BSc with the Open University*

So yes, in primary school i was always told to pay attention. Parents evenings were always "She is bright and hard working but she seems to daydream, she would be way further ahead if she asked for help but unless it challenges her she doesn't seem interested and makes mistakes"

The same in my first high school, it would be "She seems to drift off and forget things but when she gives her focus to one thing she flies ahead of the class" I was kicked out of here because I seem to be impulsive and because of being rather short and quiet I was bullied.. ended up flipping out and beating the daylights out of two of the bullies. Not my best moment.

Second high school said the same, i was a year and a half ahead but only in the classes i paid attention and even so.. i walked around the classroom or i just got restless and couldn't pay attention. Or i would be allowed music via earphones. I was recommended to be tested by my head of Sciences.. but the wait list was so long and 6 months later I was thrown out due to skipping classes (my anxiety was awful at this point, not meeting my predicted grades and being terrified of zoning out and missing important things and generally hating my brain... caused me to have a meltdown so i stopped showing up).

Third high school was a hospital school, they put all the focus on getting me through my GCSEs. They let me walk around, they let me make tea and toast randomly. They let me wonder to the local shop for exercise if i was too worked up. They also helped me with anxiety medicine. They too mentioned that i might need to be assessed but meltdown left me so depressed.. the focus stayed on keeping me OK.

College was the same.. two months of my biology tutor saying "she needs to pay more attention, be more organised and not get so focussed on one thing all day".. my psychology tutor loved having me around. He let me record the classes and spent time afterwards some days bouncing ideas off each other while walking up and down the classroom. I learnt VERY fast in his class. It was engaging.However the pressure my biology tutor put on me telling me "I dont focus enough, i'm forgetting too many notes and homework assignments to stay" ...eventually i got depressed and anxious and stopped attending.

It was only when my psychology tutor reached out to me to see if there was anyway he could support my return, that he mentioned ADHD. I didnt really understand what it was but a few years later I met my current best friend. The only person who ever understood my brain and who I relate to. He has ADHD. He tells me often that he thinks i should bring it up to my GP.. but i never did so he supported me and gave me things to change instead that helped.

Basically i ended up making a GP appointment 3years ago in which i said "I would really like to ask you about ADHD or ADD in adults" I described briefly (and somewhat fast speaking) why i wanted advice. She immediately said "No its not ADHD but we can review your anxiety medication".

To which i replied, well thats the thing... that all started at school BECAUSE of the reasons why i'm here. I was never nervous or anxious before that. Even my own mother says shes always been convinced I have ADD but never sought an opinion because she thinks i get it from her.

Basically i'm now studying with the OU... and struggling to stay on track despite how much i love the course. I just cant focus. Story of my life...

Im not sure if i bring it up to my CBT Worker and see what she thinks.. or just try and power through and up my anxiety meds to calm down.

Anything beats downing 5 monster energy drinks a day to relax.
If your GP isn't willing to help, I d try to get a second opinion and then yes speak to your cbt worker or look into a private diagnosis.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
5 Monsters a day is gonna do a number on your heart after a while and cause a lot of anxiety...might be worth cutting it down.

But yeah, bring it up with your CBT worker.
JoniJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm so sorry that you have been struggling for so long. It would be very important for you to get a second opinion. Try to find someone who specializes in ADHD or ADD and who will listen to you and do their best to understand your background and history. It must be very frustrating going through school like this and not being successful. If you get on the right medication, it may make a world of difference. I think you are on to something and this needs to be further explored.
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I lowkey do loads of ADD test online i too am very easily distracted, I can't sit in one space always pacing my room, even when I'm eating i stand up with my plate and walk around.. At school I sometimes get shouted at for answering questions that were meant to be answered by other people, and I always always daydream it's been like that since primary for me is well, teachers called me 'dipsy dora'. The thing is that maybe you should to speak to someone who is specalised in ADD or ADHD
Hamadaali
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, im kinda desperate for some help atm, I literally can't focus on any task for no more than 10 minutes. Ive tired to hard but I just can't and it's so frustrating, if you are willing to sell the medication that would literally save me from failing my exams. They're in may so I have literally no more options Haha
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
I lowkey do loads of ADD test online i too am very easily distracted, I can't sit in one space always pacing my room, even when I'm eating i stand up with my plate and walk around.. At school I sometimes get shouted at for answering questions that were meant to be answered by other people, and I always always daydream it's been like that since primary for me is well, teachers called me 'dipsy dora'. The thing is that maybe you should to speak to someone who is specalised in ADD or ADHD
BraemarEwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have ADHD and it's very hard, was completely missed when I was younger, now I'm 21 I just got diagnosed a year ago. Apparently, I wasn't in a bad enough state as a child for it to be detected, so I struggled through school and my exams. I often struggle to stay focused and can't concentrate properly and get bored very easily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (428)
44.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.2%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
14.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise