The Student Room Group

Combinations for taking Computer Science / Engineering into university

Hey, I would like to study Computer Science or possibly Engineering in university. I have no clue of what I should choose for my A-Levels in college to proceed into a higher-end university where I could surpass greatly.

I personally (at the moment) chose:
AL Maths
AL Computer Science
and AL Chemistry

I know subjects like Physics, Further Maths are a great option but I chose to opt out of those options since I feel that Physics isn't my strongest link in subjects therefore I wouldn't consider taking that stress into college. Would you say the options I chose are considerably acceptable or good for being taken into a high end university? Or not really..

Now for Engineering, I have no idea of what I should choose if I was to proceed in doing Engineering - if any combinations could be listed that would be fantastic along with Computer Science replies of what I stated above.

Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Physics is required for most branches of engineering. Without it you'll be limited to software, civil (may still require physics), design and chemical engineering (may require physics/biology/further maths).

All you need for computer science is maths. Computer science A-level is never required if you are taking maths.
Reply 3
take electronics, good medium of both and has elements from physics. what dyou class as high end? the Oxbridge level, Durham/ICL/andrews, Manchester/Warwick or lower.
what are your target universities, go on their sites and see what they accept for your chosen courses
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by sh_xxy
Hey, I would like to study Computer Science or possibly Engineering in university. I have no clue of what I should choose for my A-Levels in college to proceed into a higher-end university where I could surpass greatly.

I personally (at the moment) chose:
AL Maths
AL Computer Science
and AL Chemistry

I know subjects like Physics, Further Maths are a great option but I chose to opt out of those options since I feel that Physics isn't my strongest link in subjects therefore I wouldn't consider taking that stress into college. Would you say the options I chose are considerably acceptable or good for being taken into a high end university? Or not really..

Now for Engineering, I have no idea of what I should choose if I was to proceed in doing Engineering - if any combinations could be listed that would be fantastic along with Computer Science replies of what I stated above.

Thanks

For Computer Science, Maths should be enough for high end, if you're talking about Oxbridge and Imperial then Further Maths will be preferred. For Warwick/UCL/ Durham/etc Maths and 2 other subjects is enough.

Quick Reply

Latest