The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
GYG is Grow Your Grades, it's a blog competition on TSR where people write about their progress throughout the year and get encouragement to improve their grades! This year's competition is starting to be judged now (:ninja:) but you can start a blog for 2018/19 here if you're interested: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1516 there's generally a pretty great prize :wink:

Oooh okay thank you. Might have a think about it. :wink: Wow that's really good of TSR to encourage everyone!
Original post by awanderingpixel

favourite way to revise: I'm pretty rubbish at revision so I'd say mind maps and last minute panics

Good luck to everyone

Sameee. I relate to you on a spiritual level. It's unbelievable.
the subjects you have taken :
Maths
Music
German
Geography
Media
English lit
English lang
Art
Combined science
RS

your predicted grades :
Maths-6
Music-8
German-5
Geography-5
Media-6
English lit-5
English lang-5
Art-6
Combined science-5-5
RS-6

the grades you want to achieve :
Maths-6
Music-9
German-5
Geography-6/7
Media-7
English lit-7
English lang-7
Art-6/7
Combined science-6-6
RS-7

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) :

Alevels am thinking about music, English lit, psychology and maybe philosophy but not sure atm

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) :

Go to uni and study psychology

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 :
utterly petrified

hobbies and interests :
music, musical theatre

favourite subject :
music, media rs

favourite way to revise:
flashcards i think

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here :
Reply 23
Hi! I am starting year 11 and super nervous!
Original post by RazzzBerries
Oooh okay thank you. Might have a think about it. :wink: Wow that's really good of TSR to encourage everyone!

The little community that builds up in that forum is so lovely, everyone visits each other’s threads to support them!
Reply 25
Original post by Gingerbread101
How was Year 10 for you?

It was eye opening to say the least... But pretty positive :wink:
the subjects you have taken : English Language English Literature Mathematics Combibed/Double Science Geography Religious Studies Bengali your predicted grades : Our predicted grades are determined by the first set of our year 11 mocks, don't know if this is the case for anyone else the grades you want to achieve : English Language - 6 - 8 English Literature - 6 - 8 Mathematics - 7 - 9 Combibed/Double Science - 7-7 - 9-9 Geography - 7-9 Religious Studies - 6-8 Bengali - 3 - 5 (This language is hard AF) your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) : For A-Levels - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Economics what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) : Want to go to a top russel university in London or a bit out of London, as i live in the city itself, and to do a degree related to finance. I want to become something like a - banker, financial analysist, stock trade exchanger. how you’re feeling about starting year 11 : Mixed feelings and i can almost forecast it will be a huge rollercoaster hobbies and interests : Not much as i am a boring and dull person, but i like to play PlayStation favourite subject : Either Maths or Geography favourite way to revise: I look at both of the specification reference and textbooks, take notes accordingly, and then transfer them to flashcards. The reason why i also use the specification reference is because it specifically tells you the modues/topis that will come up in the exam. I then use past papers and try my best to answer the questions, then i look at the mark scheme to see what questions i got wrong or struggled on then i go back on the topic that the question i got wrong was related what topic, and that way i can improve and consolidate my overall knowledge on the subject. if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here : Don't have one.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Wow you're a smart cookieee! What's active recall?

mehhh, i don’t think ill keep up with these grades!

active recall is like remembering stuff, and recalling it :smile:
so you learn something, and then test yourself on it by writing out everything about it that you can remember!
Reply 28
Subjects I take - Maths
English Lang
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
French
Music
Computing
Business

Mock grades and predicted: Maths: 8/8
English Lang 8/8
English Lit 7+/8
Biology 5/6 (i can’t 😩)
Chemistry 7/7
Physics 7/7
History 5/7 (needs work)
French 6/7 (surprised)
Music 7/7
Computing 6+/7(no idea how...)
Business 7/7

Ideally i would like 9s in maths and both English lit and lang. 8/9 in music would be nice :wink: French i’m not expecting anything higher than a 6

Plans after Year 11: Uni, no idea what i’m gonna study though, we’ll see

A levels : Maths (maybe FM) English lang, don’t no what for a third)

How I’m feeling : as @maisiex10x said, utterly petrified.

Hobbies and interests : Music mostly

Favourite Subjects : maths and music

Favourite way to revise : practice questions, flashcards, haven’t really explored many methods.

Good luck everyone 👍 :smile:
Hey! So I decided to just put ALLLL the icebreakers in here, 'cause why not?!

the subjects you have taken : English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Combined Science, Religious Studies, Computer Science, Geography, DT

your predicted grades : I'm getting new predicted grades at the start of Y11

the grades you want to achieve :
English Lit: 8
English Lang: 8
Maths: 8
Religious Studies: 6
Combined Science: 8-8
Geography: 8
Computer Science: 8
DT: 7
These are the grades I would be most happy with, a few 9's would be nice, and I wouldn't be too bothered if both English's were a 7

your plans after year 11 (alevels, college, apprenticeship) :
After Y11, I would like to move to a different school and study Maths, Chemistry and Geography A-Level, and English Literature AS-Level

what do you want to do in the future? (university, career plans etc.) :
I would love to do a degree in Chemistry and/with Maths, possible at Southampton Uni, but if not, just a degree in Maths OR Chemistry. If i find a career I am very passionate about, I would go into that field. If not, I have always be interested in teaching

how you’re feeling about starting year 11 :
Nervous, yet excited

hobbies and interests :
Not much, I like planes??

favourite subject :
Maths or Chemistry

favourite way to revise:
Notes, Flashcards, Re-Reading and Past Papers

if you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here :
YES PLEASE

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5503054#primary_content
(edited 5 years ago)
Cool! September 1st 2002 to August 31st 2003 babies :woo: :woo: :woo:
(edited 5 years ago)
I am here
I am really confused whether I should do y11 content or go over y9 and y10 content please help
Good luck all the new year 11s!
I need help I'm doing foundation for everything my grades are mainly 34 what do i do I want to do higher papers. I really try but don't know how to move up and do the higher paper. PLZ HELP!
Reply 35
Hi everyone, my name is Ben and I am taking:

Edexcel iGCSE Maths
Edexcel iGCSE Biology
Edexcel iGCSE Physics
Edexcel iGCSE Chemistry
Edexcel iGCSE French
Edexcel iGCSE Economics
CIE iGCSE History
CIE iGCSE Geography
CIE iGCSE English Literature
AQA GCSE English Language

I don’t have predicted grades but in my mocks, I got:

Maths - 8/9 (I am aiming for a 9)
Economics - 8/9 (I am aiming for a 9)
Physics - 8/9 (I am aiming for 9)
Biology - 8/9 (I am aiming for 8)
Chemistry - 8/9 (I am aiming for 8)
Geography - 8 (I am aiming for 8)
History - 7 (I am aiming for 8)
Literature - 7 (I am aiming for 8)
French - 7 (I am aiming for 7)
Language - 4 (I need a 7 so I can do economics in sixth form)

My plans after year 11 are:

A-levels Maths, Economics, then either (Geography, Politics or F Maths).

In the future i want to go to uni to study a course related to economics.

I’m feeling nervous, anxious about starting year 11

My hobbies and interests : Watching Netflix - pretty much all I do, skiing during the winter.

My favourite subjects are both maths and economics.

My favourite way to revise is to write notes using specification, then doing past papers. Anything I get wrong, I do a load of past paper questions on them until I get them right.
(edited 5 years ago)
Let me re-do this as my last one i done like an hour ago, messed up due to copy and pasting.

The subjects I am currently studying -
English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Combined/Double Science
Geography
Religious Studies
Bengali

Predicted Grades -
We recieve our predicted grades after our first set of year 11 mocks, don't know if this is the case for anyone else

The grades I want to attain -
English Language - 6 - 8
English Literature - 6 - 8
Mathematics - 7 - 9
Combined/Double Science - 7-7 - 9-9
Geography - 7 - 9
Religious Studies - 6 - 8
Bengali - 3 - 5 (This language is hard AF)

What will i do after year 11 -
Stay at my current sixth form as it is decent, and study - A-Levels - Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics or Economics

Future plans for university and careers -
I want to go to a top resell group university in London or a bit outside nearby, as i live in the city itself. For careers, a rough idea is - financial analyst, banker, stock market exchanger.

Opinions about starting year 11 -
Lots of mixed feelings and I can almost tell it will be like a huge rollercoaster.

Hobbies and interests -
Playing PlayStation

My favourite subject -
Maths or Geography

How i revise -
Use both specification reference, textbooks and past papers and combine them together, i use the specification reference as it exactly tells you the topics it will come in the exam. After i make notes, i transfer them to flashcards, then i do past papers, answer all the questions, then i look at the mark scheme to see the questions i got wrong/struggle in. The questions i didn't do well on, i go to the topic related to it, go over it, and keep on doing past papers until i get all the questions correct on the subject.

If you have a gyg blog feel free to share that too, here -
Don't have one.
Heyy I’m going into year 11 too ahhh.

Subjects i have taken:
English lit
English lang
Maths
Geography
History
Spanish
Latin
Triple science
RE

Predicted grades:
English lit - 8
English lang - 8
Maths - 8
Geography - 7
History - 6
Spanish - 8
Latin - 7
Triple science - physics 7 / chemistry 8 / biology 6
RE - 7

Grades i want: (honestly I haven’t even thought about this AT ALL lmao it’s gonna change as soon as school starts, not predicting myself 9s because my school doesn’t do that and that’s a bit high lmao)
English lit - 8
English lang - 7
Maths - 8
Geography - 7
History - 4
Spanish - 8
Latin - 8
Triple science - physics 8 / chemistry 8 / biology 7
RE - 7

Plans after year 11:
Hopefully do my a levels: maths, physics and not sure what else

What i want to do in the future:
Go to university and study civil engineering

How I’m feeling about starting year 11:
AHHH PLEASE NO I DON’T WANT THIS - mood rn, I’m so scared for gcse and I’ve got so much revision to catch up on aghhhh lemme just not talk about this

Hobbies and interests:
Lmao this is empty, I don’t do anything apart from going on my phone borang

Favourite subject:
Latin :smile:, it’s so relaxing and the teacher makes it so fun and in general i find the subject easier and enjoy it so much

Favourite way to revise:
Soon to be completed...
In all honesty I haven’t found a way yet :/ i normally write notes in a notebook, a4 pages and yeah based on the specifications but idk if it works

Gyg blog: don’t have one :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
mehhh, i don’t think ill keep up with these grades!

active recall is like remembering stuff, and recalling it :smile:
so you learn something, and then test yourself on it by writing out everything about it that you can remember!

You never know!

I’m gonna try active recall and see if it works for me, thanks x
Reply 39
Hey everyone! I'm new to TSR - I just joined...right now..because of the reason I'm in this thread. So...on to the icebreakers.

The subjects you have taken:
-English
-Maths
-Spanish
-French
-Business
-Accelerated Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics in the space of two)
-History
-Computer Science

Your predicted grades:
We don't really have that until mocks so you're not alone @Tanzil Rahman. However, we do have end-of-years...

-English - A*
-Maths - 9
-Spanish - 9
-French - A
-Business - A*
-Biology - 9
-Chemistry - 8
-Physics - 9
-History - A*
-Computer Science - A

The grades you want to achieve: all 9s/A*?

Your plans after year 11: IBs

What do you want to do in the future: University or college, but I have no idea what I want to major in.

How you’re feeling about starting year 11: Shoot! It's Y11 already!!?? Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hobbies and interests: Nerdy stuff like debating and chess and playing violin but I also do squash.

Favourite subject: When I have a good teacher...all of them?

Favourite way to revise: Re-writing all my notes online so that they're uber-neat and I enjoy quizzing other people and helping them revise, but doing them without my notes so I also test my own memory.

Latest