The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread Mark I 2018-2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kstapley
Is there a thread for it please. I have really worked hard for the last year and want to cover all aspects. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure - I'm currently mostly focused on the AQA sociology thread for Papers 1, 2 and 3. Anyways likely topics or essay questions for Macro are: interest rates, QE, supply-side policies to deal with natural rate of UE/increase UK productivity/increase UK international competitiveness, protectionism, free trade, globalisation, current account and financial market failure. Obviously, don't neglect the other stuff as from Paper 1, I reckon they may slip in a couple of Year 12 topics for short answer Qs. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I'm not 100% sure - I'm currently mostly focused on the AQA sociology thread for Papers 1, 2 and 3. Anyways likely topics or essay questions for Macro are: interest rates, QE, supply-side policies to deal with natural rate of UE/increase UK productivity/increase UK international competitiveness, protectionism, free trade, globalisation, current account and financial market failure. Obviously, don't neglect the other stuff as from Paper 1, I reckon they may slip in a couple of Year 12 topics for short answer Qs. :smile:

Thank you for that!! I did Paper 3 today and Paper 4 Macro Edexcel coming up in few days
Thank you for that!! I did Paper 3 today and Paper 4 Macro Edexcel coming up in few days

Paper 3 and Paper 4? Is this International A-Levels? That's not what I'm doing.
Yes IAL
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Paper 3 and Paper 4? Is this International A-Levels? That's not what I'm doing.
Hi, guys. I was just wondering if it's normal (in your opinion) to feel like you've failed all of your exams that you've sat. I know I sound stressy, but I felt fine after I came out of them and now I just feel like I've messed up on all of them and I'm going to fail. And the marks are really important to me because I need AAA to get into uni.
Help!
Original post by armaquevirumque
Hi, guys. I was just wondering if it's normal (in your opinion) to feel like you've failed all of your exams that you've sat. I know I sound stressy, but I felt fine after I came out of them and now I just feel like I've messed up on all of them and I'm going to fail. And the marks are really important to me because I need AAA to get into uni.
Help!

It's completely normal, don't worry! I came out of my A levels maths exams last year freaking out because I thought I'd fail or at the very best, get a C, but you NEVER know. In the end I got an A* because a) I didn't do as badly as I thought and b) grade boundaries were much lower than I thought.

Either way, you do not know what will happen. The best thing to do is to forget about it and enjoy your summer, making sure you have a backup plan but not stressing about it, or trust me it will ruin your summer for something that isn't even close to being a certainty.
Thank you so much! My heart slowed down a little as I read this! x
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
It's completely normal, don't worry! I came out of my A levels maths exams last year freaking out because I thought I'd fail or at the very best, get a C, but you NEVER know. In the end I got an A* because a) I didn't do as badly as I thought and b) grade boundaries were much lower than I thought.

Either way, you do not know what will happen. The best thing to do is to forget about it and enjoy your summer, making sure you have a backup plan but not stressing about it, or trust me it will ruin your summer for something that isn't even close to being a certainty.
Help!

Your gut feeling when you come out that the exam was good is a reliable indicator. Don’t worry - in your head you will go up and down grade levels.
Thank you! It's just that I answered one of the essay questions in one exam differently to everyone else in my set, and I think speaking to them made me feel like I've messed it up completely. Hopefully I haven't - I just focused much more on the initial question than talking about everything that was different, like they did.
Your gut feeling when you come out that the exam was good is a reliable indicator. Don’t worry - in your head you will go up and down grade levels.
Thank you! It's just that I answered one of the essay questions in one exam differently to everyone else in my set, and I think speaking to them made me feel like I've messed it up completely. Hopefully I haven't - I just focused much more on the initial question than talking about everything that was different, like they did.

To focus on answering the question ( and of course elaborating) is a good sign
Hey guys :smile:

How are you all enjoying your freedom now exams are done? Just wanted to check-in and see how you were all doing!

EH
- Introduce yourself, what are your hobbies/interests?
Hey so basically I already did year 13 but didn’t give all the exams the school kinda took me out last minute because of various reasons so I’m gonna retake year 13 and do exams 2020 hopefully ... right now I’m In summer holidays so will need to re enroll for year 13 in September when I come back england but I’m still unsure about my school education life tbh
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs? [OPTIONAL]
A for Business Studies
7/A for English Lit
5/C for English Lang
6/B for Maths
A for Religious studies
B for Geography
Two As for double science
D for Spanish
In total 765AAAABD
- Did you take any AS exams?
No
- What are your predicted grades? [OPTIONAL]
All Us because of certain reasons
- What subjects do you take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
Maths Edexcel
Biology edexcel A
Chemistry OCR A
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
No idea I havent applied to uni IDK if I even will

- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?
No idea hopefully still be alive and happy
(edited 4 years ago)
Helloo! I'm Scarlet, I am from Nottingham and I'm going into year 13 in September.
Based on hobbies, I'm not very interesting at all.. I love cooking and baking, I love watching TV and sports, I read when I have the time! I have dogs so I tend to be playing with them a lot, I'm a quiet person and I just get on with things really😂
I have taken Media EDUQAS, Food and Nutrition WJEC and Sociology AQA (I also dropped English Literature at the start of the year because I hated it!😂) I'm not really sure what grades I am aiming for but based on target grades i'm hoping for all C's. I know I want to get a high grade in Sociology as I am thinking of taking that at university :smile:- These are all AS and I took the AS exams this year :smile:
Based on grades at GCSE, I had a range between 4-7s which I was quite pleased with :smile:
As I said, I would like to do sociology at university and I would preferably like to stay local- luckily there are a few uni's around where I am that I have looked at. My favourite being Nottingham Trent, but I have also looked at Nottingham Uni, Leicester, Loughborough and Derby :smile:
Reply 413
Would you be upset if you achieved ABC?
Introduce yourself, what are your hobbies/interests?
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs? [OPTIONAL]
- Did you take any AS exams?
- What are your predicted grades? [OPTIONAL]
- What subjects do you take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?

Hi! I'm Meerab currently going into year 13 after the summer. I attend a sixth form college in Manchester. For my GCSE's I got 3 grade 9's. 2 grade 8's, 3 grade 7's, one A* and one A. Predicted grades are A*AA and no I didnt take any AS exams but am currently completing my EPQ. For my A-levels I am taking Biology chemistry and maths, and aspire to do medicine in university Hopefully. :smile:
Help!

So I thought I’d reply to myself and potentially to other people who might feel the same as me in future.
I got A*AA!
Original post by scarletchaplin
Helloo! I'm Scarlet, I am from Nottingham and I'm going into year 13 in September.
Based on hobbies, I'm not very interesting at all.. I love cooking and baking, I love watching TV and sports, I read when I have the time! I have dogs so I tend to be playing with them a lot, I'm a quiet person and I just get on with things really😂
I have taken Media EDUQAS, Food and Nutrition WJEC and Sociology AQA (I also dropped English Literature at the start of the year because I hated it!😂) I'm not really sure what grades I am aiming for but based on target grades i'm hoping for all C's. I know I want to get a high grade in Sociology as I am thinking of taking that at university :smile:- These are all AS and I took the AS exams this year :smile:
Based on grades at GCSE, I had a range between 4-7s which I was quite pleased with :smile:
As I said, I would like to do sociology at university and I would preferably like to stay local- luckily there are a few uni's around where I am that I have looked at. My favourite being Nottingham Trent, but I have also looked at Nottingham Uni, Leicester, Loughborough and Derby :smile:

Hi Scarlet!

We're delighted to hear that you've been looking into studying Sociology with us at Loughborough University. If you enjoy taking part in sports, we have over 50 different sports that you could take part in at any level! We have our very own cooking society called "Cook n Bake" which hosts food parties and different cooking/baking workshops and demonstrations. It was even named our number one society for 2019!

If you would like to find out more information about what your course will cover if you do choose to study sociology with us, you can find out more on our website here https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/a-z/sociology/. Feel free to contact our admissions office at [email protected] if you'd like more information about entry requirements.

All the best with this year!
Tendo :smile:
- Introduce yourself, what are your hobbies/interests?
I'm Fran and I enjoy singing dancing and acting and I also play violin
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs?
one 9, five 8s and three 7s
- What are your predicted grades?
Currently Biology- A, RS- A and Chemistry C/D but am hoping to be predicted a B. I switched just before Christmas and am finding it really hard to catch up
- What subjects do you take?
Biology, OCR A Chemistry, OCR A RS- AQA
Biological sciences, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Birmingham and I looked round Imperial but I didn't like it
Hii :smile:
I was wondering if anyone would like to be study friends. I am studying sociology, media and food and would like to go onto university to do either sociology + criminology or psychology or just sociology by itself. :smile: feel free to message me :smile: xx
Original post by scarletchaplin
Hii :smile:
I was wondering if anyone would like to be study friends. I am studying sociology, media and food and would like to go onto university to do either sociology + criminology or psychology or just sociology by itself. :smile: feel free to message me :smile: xx

Might be worthwhile posting in the Sociology forum as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest