National Space Councilor suspended on Twitter after spat with prospective NASA intern

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Something more light-hearted for this forum is in order, I think.

The intern's tweet that started it all (NSFW):

Spoiler:
Show

As a result, she lost her internship.

The man she insulted - Homer Hickam, a former NASA engineer and member of the American National Space Council - wrote a blog post with his side of the story here, but then deleted it.

His account is now suspended, as is the almost-intern and a few of her most vocal supporters.

Still lots of valuable discussion that Twitter hasn't mopped up though.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...am/1066538002/
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
There's actually a lot more to this - she is trans, and gets a lot of trolls harassing her as a result. She lost the internship because said trolls started doxxing her and tagging her tweets in the NASA tag to get the attention of the people who do control hiring/firing at NASA (which said director does not, and he released a statement advising of this). The girl subsequently apologised to the director, and he indicated he thinks should is likely to do well in a career in aerospace and indicated he was trying to support her finding another position.

While her response was maybe ill advised in general contexts, given she was used to trolls harassing her on twitter it's not surprising she responded as she did. So it's not really a funny story at all, and yet another example of internet bigotry running rampant.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There's actually a lot more to this - she is trans, and gets a lot of trolls harassing her as a result. She lost the internship because said trolls started doxxing her and tagging her tweets in the NASA tag to get the attention of the people who do control hiring/firing at NASA (which said director does not, and he released a statement advising of this). The girl subsequently apologised to the director, and he indicated he thinks should is likely to do well in a career in aerospace and indicated he was trying to support her finding another position.

While her response was maybe ill advised in general contexts, given she was used to trolls harassing her on twitter it's not surprising she responded as she did. So it's not really a funny story at all, and yet another example of internet bigotry running rampant.
Oh - I wasn't aware that she was trans. I actually thought she was a furry or something, judging by her avatar and those of her friends.

If she was attacked just because she was trans that kind of zaps the humour out of it and I feel bad for her now.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Oh - I wasn't aware that she was trans. I actually thought she was a furry or something, judging by her avatar and those of her friends.

If she was attacked just because she was trans that kind of zaps the humour out of it and I feel bad for her now.
Yea I think she was a furry as well, which is sort of by-the-by. But yes, once you actually get the full story it's a lot less funny than it seemed on the surface :/
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Ummm why the thr NSC get suspended, what did he do wrong?
Underscore__
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)

Where did you get that story from? I just scanned through a couple of articles and didn’t see anything about that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads