Helppp im confused. Queen mary eco or gap year idkkk??? Watch

smhn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So i got AAA (maths bio chem) this year and Im going fo economics. I missed my firm UCL because i missed out on the A* for maths so now i have an offer at queen mary. Idk how economics is at queen mary. I've done research, some say good some say bad. I've accepted that it comes down to the individual so if i do go for Queen Mary then i'm just gonna knuckle down and try get a first (and also build up my cv with internships etc). But i got a few other options i can go for instead:

option 1) take gap year. Retake maths and do fm. Apply LSE, UCL etc. Only problem is that I am a retake and competition is high so my chances may be low even if i do get an A*.

option 2) take gap year and apply for a&f instead of economics instead. Less competition plus i wouldn't need to retake. Can get into LSE, Warwick etc. But then again its not economics. I may like a&f , I may not. I'm pretty sure prospects are similar although I think for eco its much broader (but i guess i still want to go down the finance route so it shouldn't be much of a problem).

option 3) Try for a transfer after my first year into Kings or LSE or UCL. Pretty difficult i know but not impossible. If they allow it and I get the grades then I could transfer to the universities I initially wanted to go to (the thought of going there is just exciting due to their "prestige". No offence to QM students, i respect QM too but it's not on that LSE/UCL level, you know). They are target unis for IB too so if i wanted to do that then transferring there would help (also idk if qm is a target uni so i'd really appreciate it if someone clarified that for me )

option 4) Go Queen Mary but retake maths ( i only need to resit one paper). That way if i don't like QM at all then i can apply again to another uni, start fresh. I know i'll be in more debt but im okay with it..one day i'll be able to pay it off completely i guess.

option 5) Go QM, do everything i can to get a first. Apply elsewhere for masters (lse, ucl etc)

Right now I think im edging towards option 3 and 4. I guess that way i won't regret anything even if it means i'll be in even more debt. If i like QM and i can see a bright future then all's good, problem solved. If not, I can try for a transfer and carry on 2nd year somewhere else. If i dont like the course and can't transfer, then i'll jus apply again fresh. This means i'll have to retake that maths paper alongside uni but i think i can manage. I could apply for eco or for a&f at lse, warwick or maybe I might find out that eco isn't really for me and so apply for a completely different course. I guess this way i get to try out QM eco without any regrets plus it seems like the safe option as my gap year could end up as a disaster.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Skyewoods
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Option 1 - If you really want to work in IB then go for it. For any other job, QM will be enough

Option 2 - Superceeded by option 1. If you are going to do a gap year then do it for economics

Option 3 - Seen it happen. Not with those unis but with people doing economics. It's rare so don't pin your hopes on it. Email UCL/LSE and ask them

Option 4 - Your degree will be time consuming enough. Don't under estimate economics. Hard to do that and a retak

Option 5 - Like I mentioned, apart from IB you have a good chance at any job. Internships and experience is really important. See if you really need to do a masters after

I think you have 2 options

Option A - Do a gap year. Retake and reapply for Economics.

Option B - Go to QM and work your ass to get a transfer in your second year. If not then get a first and aim for your dream job. After that does a masters if you still haven't got to where you want to be.
smhn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skyewoods)
Option 1 - If you really want to work in IB then go for it. For any other job, QM will be enough

Option 2 - Superceeded by option 1. If you are going to do a gap year then do it for economics

Option 3 - Seen it happen. Not with those unis but with people doing economics. It's rare so don't pin your hopes on it. Email UCL/LSE and ask them

Option 4 - Your degree will be time consuming enough. Don't under estimate economics. Hard to do that and a retak

Option 5 - Like I mentioned, apart from IB you have a good chance at any job. Internships and experience is really important. See if you really need to do a masters after

I think you have 2 options

Option A - Do a gap year. Retake and reapply for Economics.

Option B - Go to QM and work your ass to get a transfer in your second year. If not then get a first and aim for your dream job. After that does a masters if you still haven't got to where you want to be.
I would go for option A without a second thought but after phoning LSE and UCL idk. They said that because it's so competitive and because i'm taking 3 years to do A-levels and retaking puts my application at a disadvantage. So there's a good chance I won't get in but not impossible. That's why I'm a bit sceptical..don't want to take a gap year only to find myself back at square one.
Skyewoods
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by smhn)
I would go for option A without a second thought but after phoning LSE and UCL idk. They said that because it's so competitive and because i'm taking 3 years to do A-levels and retaking puts my application at a disadvantage. So there's a good chance I won't get in but not impossible. That's why I'm a bit sceptical..don't want to take a gap year only to find myself back at square one.
There's 3 options that could happen

A - Retake to get an A* and get in
B - Retake to get an A* and don't get in
C - Retake and don't get an A*

What is the probability of each event?
smhn
Rep:
?
There's 3 options that could happen

A - Retake to get an A* and get in
B - Retake to get an A* and don't get in
C - Retake and don't get an A*

What is the probability of each event?
I want to say that A has the highest probability but I think BAC is more likely because of how competitive the course is for the top unis.
Skyewoods
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by smhn)
I want to say that A has the highest probability but I think BAC is more likely because of how competitive the course is for the top unis.
You have to weigh up the risk and reward. Consider what it will mean to take that extra year, what difference it will make to get in and what it would be like to still not get in. Speak to people in the industry you want to go in and get their opinion. Decide on what you will regret more, having spent a year studying and not getting in or not knowing what would have happened by taking a year out
smhn
Rep:
?
You have to weigh up the risk and reward. Consider what it will mean to take that extra year, what difference it will make to get in and what it would be like to still not get in. Speak to people in the industry you want to go in and get their opinion. Decide on what you will regret more, having spent a year studying and not getting in or not knowing what would have happened by taking a year out
Hmm its a tough one but you've definitely made it more clear for me. Thank you
smhn
Rep:
?
Anyone else?
Laila_25
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm literally in the EXACT same position as you! I'm applying for economics but my A level grades meant I didn't get into the uni I was determined to get into.

I know there are plenty of variables involved which could make my decision less viable for you, but I've decided to take a gap year and retake 2 maths modules, even when the unis I contacted said my application may be at a disadvantage. It's a risk I'm willing to take because a) it's always good to achieve an amazing set of A level results, no matter if it was a retake, b) they're not completely eliminating the possibility of getting in, just trying to be clear, c) you can always make your application more competitive in other ways, such as personal statement (summer schools, relevant work experience, wider reading etc...), and d) although it's not always certain, if you achieve the grades you want on results day next year, maybe have another go at UCL through clearing.

Personally the advantages outweigh the idea of going to a uni which i'd be unsure of, especially knowing I'd spend a lot of time thinking 'what if...'

Those are just my ideas, but I wish you the best of luck whatever you choose! You're clearly super bright to even get those grades, so you'll excel wherever you go.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
smhn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laila_25)
I'm literally in the EXACT same position as you! I'm applying for economics but my A level grades meant I didn't get into the uni I was determined to get into.

I know there are plenty of variables involved which could make my decision less viable for you, but I've decided to take a gap year and retake 2 maths modules, even when the unis I contacted said my application may be at a disadvantage. It's a risk I'm willing to take because a) it's always good to achieve an amazing set of A level results, no matter if it was a retake, b) they're not completely eliminating the possibility of getting in, just trying to be clear, c) you can always make your application more competitive in other ways, such as personal statement (summer schools, relevant work experience, wider reading etc...), and d) although it's not always certain, if you achieve the grades you want on results day next year, maybe have another go at UCL through clearing.

Personally the advantages outweigh the idea of going to a uni which i'd be unsure of, especially knowing I'd spend a lot of time thinking 'what if...'

Those are just my ideas, but I wish you the best of luck whatever you choose! You're clearly super bright to even get those grades, so you'll excel wherever you go.
It's just a really hard decision to make. Before I was thinking the exact same as you but then a few people opened up the idea of doing both so go uni and retake that paper so if by jan i don't like qm then i apply again starting from year 1 at the uni i wanted to go initially. I waste money but i guess i won't have any regrets plus i'll have good experience in the subject itself so application would be strong even with the retake. Plus the idea of the gap year being wasted is completely eliminated. If im lucky i can try a transfer instead. It all seems a stretch at the moment so I'm gonna call up LSE and others to see if they would approve of this.
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by smhn)
Anyone else?
What else will you be doing in your gap year? I would go for option 1 shouldn't be too hard if you are good enough at maths but maybe 2 A-Levels ina year will be challenging with working on the side?
smhn
Rep:
?
(Original post by isiaiah d)
What else will you be doing in your gap year? I would go for option 1 shouldn't be too hard if you are good enough at maths but maybe 2 A-Levels ina year will be challenging with working on the side?
Most likely i'll be doing an internship for 3 months, maybe try find another one. If not i'll do volunteering and part time. I think i should have time in the evenings for the extra A level (i'd only be doing one). The problem is still not getting an offer despite getting an A* because i'm a retake or maybe not getting the A* at all. I'm just really bad at making decisions.
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by smhn)
Most likely i'll be doing an internship for 3 months, maybe try find another one. If not i'll do volunteering and part time. I think i should have time in the evenings for the extra A level (i'd only be doing one). The problem is still not getting an offer despite getting an A* because i'm a retake or maybe not getting the A* at all. I'm just really bad at making decisions.
what were your ums may I ask? since it's old spec you can resit specific modules which should make it easier. You will have to do F. Maths on a new spec which may be abit more challenging since you may have knowledge gaps from doing old spec maths. I would start now and get ahead on it all - should help you to determine whether it is a viable option. Also remember you will have to write a ps/prepare for interviews maybe
smhn
Rep:
?
what were your ums may I ask? since it's old spec you can resit specific modules which should make it easier. You will have to do F. Maths on a new spec which may be abit more challenging since you may have knowledge gaps from doing old spec maths. I would start now and get ahead on it all - should help you to determine whether it is a viable option. Also remember you will have to write a ps/prepare for interviews maybe
i got 83 ums for c4 but 70 for c4 idk what happended to me in c4, i was so confident. Yeah i'll soon be starting them. So you think I should take a gap year even if im seen as a retake?
isiaiah d
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by smhn)
i got 83 ums for c4 but 70 for c4 idk what happended to me in c4, i was so confident. Yeah i'll soon be starting them. So you think I should take a gap year even if im seen as a retake?
might have already been said but call up both unis and ask. Once you put in the work you will find C3/C4 really easy and should be hitting 90-100 UMS easily.
I personally would take a year out but it might not be what unis want - give them a call tommorow and ask.
smhn
Rep:
?
might have already been said but call up both unis and ask. Once you put in the work you will find C3/C4 really easy and should be hitting 90-100 UMS easily.
I personally would take a year out but it might not be what unis want - give them a call tommorow and ask.
I called yday and they said retakes would be considered last for an offer. At a disadvantage but not impossible. They told me to apply a&f instead. Idk how i feel about doing a&f instead :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (436)
18.91%
The paper was reasonable (1085)
47.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (508)
22.03%
It was TERRIBLE (277)
12.01%

Watched Threads