Hannahberry2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, ive been wanting to go to Cambridge for a while , I know its super early but im just curious if I can get in .
I got 2 grade 9s
3 grade 8s
5 grade 7s and a B
Im not too pleased with my results however could I get into medicine at oxbridge if i have a strong set of alevels and a good personal statement ?
Has anyone themselves/or know anyone that has got similar grades (5A*,5A,B) to successfully get into medicine at oxbridge?
I did go to a "deprived " low achieving school apparently it makes my points higher?
I plan to do physics ,maths,chemistry,biology & an epq
Thanks for your help and I hope everyone got what they deserved
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your GCSE grades will be looked at in the context of the school you went to. If it is a typically low-performing school then that will be accounted for in your application (Both universities do look very carefully at your application). Usually Cambridge are less fussed over GCSEs than Oxford but they are still looked at as a performance indicator.

Just so you know, medicine is highly competitive at both Oxford and Cambridge. Even if you predicted 4 A*s (by the way, 4 is unnecessary and excessive. You'll be absolutely fine with maths, chem and bio) you are not guaranteed an offer like you might be with other universities, so make sure you're happy with other universities. There are 5 applicants per place for medicine at Cambridge, and 10 per place at Oxford.
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Your GCSE grades will be looked at in the context of the school you went to. If it is a typically low-performing school then that will be accounted for in your application (Both universities do look very carefully at your application).
Unless Oxford change their admissions process for 2020 then 5 A*s and 5 As immediately puts OP out of the running for medicine there, even if it was the worst school in the country (https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics). Cambridge could still be on the table, though.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hannahberry2002)
I did go to a "deprived " low achieving school apparently it makes my points higher?
I plan to do physics ,maths,chemistry,biology & an epq
As has been said, your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge.
But do 3 A-levels plus an EPQ not 4. Quality not quantity... A*A*A > A*ABB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads