The Student Room Group

Architecture at Cambridge

Hi everyone I'm interested in applying to study Architecture at Cambridge and had a few questions. I will be extremely grateful for your help and advice. I'm definitely applying to Cardiff and Bath (I went to the open days and love the course!). I'm seriously considering Cambridge but don't know whether my application would be competitive enough. I just received my AS results (I'm from Wales so we have it modular here). I was slightly dissapointed asI got AABB. A's in Chemistry and Psychology. B's in Maths and Art. In my GCSEs I got 4A*s 7A's 1B. I just wanted to know whether it is still possible to apply to Cambridge despite my AS grades. I know in the past Cambridge ask for a candidates UMS scores but obviously since most people in England dont do AS exams anymore I'm not sure how they use AS grades now. I appreciate there's a lot more that goes into applying for Arhcitecture such as personal statement and portfolio. I'm hoping to get predicted A*A*AA next year. If someone can kindly give me clarity into how Cambridge assess A level grades then I will be extremely grateful. Thank you all in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hey I'm thinking to apply to do architecture as well! However I'm very undecided if I want to apply to Cambridge as I'm not sure about the course being quite theory and essay based. Plus the stressful and for me impossible administration tests.

Your predicted grades are amazing!! You would definitely stand a chance! Have you started on your personal statement yet? How's it going? I'm finding hard ahhh!
Original post by Quyen_3
Hey I'm thinking to apply to do architecture as well! However I'm very undecided if I want to apply to Cambridge as I'm not sure about the course being quite theory and essay based. Plus the stressful and for me impossible administration tests.

Your predicted grades are amazing!! You would definitely stand a chance! Have you started on your personal statement yet? How's it going? I'm finding hard ahhh!

Hi great to hear from you :smile:. So nice to talk to someone who is also applying for architecture as nobody from my 6th form college wants to. I'm just making a start on my personal statement. Lol that's what I'm hoping my teachers can predict me. Where else are you thinking of applying ?
Reply 3
Original post by ArtyArchitect23
Hi great to hear from you :smile:. So nice to talk to someone who is also applying for architecture as nobody from my 6th form college wants to. I'm just making a start on my personal statement. Lol that's what I'm hoping my teachers can predict me. Where else are you thinking of applying ?

I know 6 people in mine applying, it's such a competitive course to do none the less ahh!
I'm thinking of Edinburgh, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham or UCL. What about you?
Original post by Quyen_3
I know 6 people in mine applying, it's such a competitive course to do none the less ahh!
I'm thinking of Edinburgh, Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham or UCL. What about you?

I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff,Bath,UWE, Sheffield and Cambridge. I'm a bit doubtful about my chances at Cambridge, so not sure if it's worth applying tbh. If you don't mind me asking what sort of work experience(s) do you have and what are grades like ? :smile: What would your first choice be out of your unis ?
Reply 5
I'm thinking of applying to Cardiff,Bath,UWE, Sheffield and Cambridge. I'm a bit doubtful about my chances at Cambridge. If you don't mind me asking what sort of work experience(s) do you have and what are grades like ? :smile: What would your first choice be out of your unis ?

Aha yeah me too about Cambridge! Well I'm not sure about predicted grades but in my AS level I got AAAC (maths, fine art, product design and Spanish). I only have work experience from last year as I couldn't get any this year. I think my first choice is Edinburgh and then Sheffield (if I don't include Cambridge) what about you? In our personal statement do we need to mention any Architects do you think?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Quyen_3
Aha yeah me too about Cambridge! Well I'm not sure about predicted grades but in my AS level I got AAAC (maths, fine art, product design and Spanish). I only have work experience from last year as I couldn't get any this year. I think my first choice is Edinburgh and then Sheffield (if I don't include Cambridge) what about you? In our personal statement do we need to mention any Architects do you think?

Mine would be any of Cardiff,Bath or Cambridge. If we're going to apply to Cambridge we have a 15th October deadline to adhere to, so we need to decide soon whether it's worth a shot. There's some good architecture personal statements online, that can help give an idea. I doubt we have to mention any architects. It's mainly a statement about why you want to do architecture and a bit about your personal interests and extracurriculars.
Reply 7
Mine would be any of Cardiff,Bath or Cambridge. If we're going to apply to Cambridge we have a 15th October deadline to adhere to, so we need to decide soon whether it's worth a shot. There's some good architecture personal statements online, that can help give an idea. I doubt we have to mention any architects. It's mainly a statement about why you want to do architecture and a bit about your personal interests and extracurriculars.

Oh okay thanks! Yeah I couldn't really find much online..
I'm literally so indecisive, one morning I would say yeah might as well try, but then the next I'm like nah it's not worth it. Ugh!
The Cardiff course looks so good, although I'm not too sure about the city itself.
Original post by Quyen_3
I'm literally so indecisive, one morning I would say yeah might as well try, but then the next I'm like nah it's not worth it. Ugh!
The Cardiff course looks so good, although I'm not too sure about the city itself.

Hi I think I will also apply to Cambridge! Which college do you want to apply to? Right now the personal statement is just driving me mad......
I am also not sure about if I should mention any architect. I actually know so little about architecture history......:frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Olivia-xu
Hi I think I will also apply to Cambridge! Which college do you want to apply to? Right now the personal statement is just driving me mad......
I am also not sure about if I should mention any architect. I actually know so little about architecture history......:frown:

Hey! I've decided that I'm not going to apply to Cambridge after all aha... only because the course is not really suited to me and all the efforts of trying to get an offer I wouldn't even choose it.

Although I'm applying to Bath, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Sheffield and Nottingham. What about you? What other options are you going for?

Yeah I know! I've done so many drafts and it just seems that I have to keep redoing bits again and again. I haven't mentioned any Architects, I'm not sure if we are supposed to. Also neither I haven't really commented on the history of architecture. I doubt they expect us to know yet but notice that it's a topic one has to learn when going into architecture?
Original post by Quyen_3

I’m interested in applying to Cardiff for architecture as well although I don’t think I’ll have time to visit before I apply, how do you think the course compares to others? And what do you think of the city?
Original post by Quyen_3
Hey! I've decided that I'm not going to apply to Cambridge after all aha... only because the course is not really suited to me and all the efforts of trying to get an offer I wouldn't even choose it.

Although I'm applying to Bath, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Sheffield and Nottingham. What about you? What other options are you going for?

Yeah I know! I've done so many drafts and it just seems that I have to keep redoing bits again and again. I haven't mentioned any Architects, I'm not sure if we are supposed to. Also neither I haven't really commented on the history of architecture. I doubt they expect us to know yet but notice that it's a topic one has to learn when going into architecture?

True. The courses offered in different schools just vary greatly. I think my other choices would be UCL(two different programmes), Bath and Manchester or Edinburgh. Cambridge really looks to history and theory, while UCL is heavily art-based and Bath has a special focus for engineering. It could be really annoying when come to writing personal statment...as well as choosing a course. I think I will just apply for those and then wait to see which would accept me...
I think I would probably apply for St johns or Pembroke? Though both are very popular choices..

But the problem is I have only finished, like, 70% of my portfolio:frown:

Anyway, good luck to your application:smile:
Original post by Olivia-xu
True. The courses offered in different schools just vary greatly. I think my other choices would be UCL(two different programmes), Bath and Manchester or Edinburgh. Cambridge really looks to history and theory, while UCL is heavily art-based and Bath has a special focus for engineering. It could be really annoying when come to writing personal statment...as well as choosing a course. I think I will just apply for those and then wait to see which would accept me...
I think I would probably apply for St johns or Pembroke? Though both are very popular choices..

But the problem is I have only finished, like, 70% of my portfolio:frown:

Anyway, good luck to your application:smile:

Ah yes Pembroke was the college I was going to apply for.

Well at least you've putting something together! Hehe we won't need a portfolio for Bath and Edinburgh so that's pretty good! But yeah I don't really know when to start putting it all together... also I haven't been to any uni open days so I've just got to go with my gut I guess..

Also what a levels are you doing?

You too!!:smile:)
Original post by Quyen_3
Ah yes Pembroke was the college I was going to apply for.

Well at least you've putting something together! Hehe we won't need a portfolio for Bath and Edinburgh so that's pretty good! But yeah I don't really know when to start putting it all together... also I haven't been to any uni open days so I've just got to go with my gut I guess..

Also what a levels are you doing?

You too!!:smile:)

I studied Physics, Maths, Art and History at AS Level and I dropped History this year....

well pembroke seems to be a popular choice! I know very little about the colleges in cambridge so I just made my choice basing on first-time impression. I am not sure about it haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending