d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There’s probably gonna be loads of these posts but i don’t have the best of grades for medicine applicants. I achieved an eight (biology), 5 sevens (maths, english language, chemistry, physics and geography), 1 six (german) and for english lit and my options i achieved a 5. Do i have any chance at all???
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
bump
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, your grades are more than good enough. Don't worry. Plenty of my medic mates don't have GCSEs as good as yours. Just get AAA at A-Level lol and you'll be fine.
Qway
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s great results in my opinion . You got A* and A in the science subjects which really matter. You passed the other subjects and now it depends on whether you can get the good grades at A-level. No university chooses you on your GCSEs do they? They ask for A-levels and entry requirements are for A levels.
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by HGS345)
Yeah, your grades are more than good enough. Don't worry. Plenty of my medic mates don't have GCSEs as good as yours. Just get AAA at A-Level lol and you'll be fine.
Thanks, i have high hopes for a levels
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qway)
That’s great results in my opinion . You got A* and A in the science subjects which really matter. You passed the other subjects and now it depends on whether you can get the good grades at A-level. No university chooses you on your GCSEs do they? They ask for A-levels and entry requirements are for A levels.
Haha thanks, i’m not sure but a lot of unis do take it gcses into great consideration
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Haha thanks, i’m not sure but a lot of unis do take it gcses into great consideration
A-Levels are most important, a few unis do want good GCSEs, like Oxford and Leicester, but your results are good enough for most unis, if not all. All you need is AAA and a good UKCAT/BMAT (depending on which you decide to take)
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think you can obtain qualifications on a bartering basis.
TomSmith12345
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People are saying A levels are most important and having just gone through the process that simply isn't true... You don't even have your A levels in hand at the time of application and most universities ignore A level predictions as they're so inaccurate (if they're above AAA)

GCSE's are important and it would be a lie to say your grades are going to aid you in your application. Focus on the other areas of your application e.g. UKCAT and apply to your strengths- personally I'd avoid GSCE heavy universities. Universities such as Leeds have enough students to fill their whole year applying with straight A* at GCSE every year (or so they told me). I wouldn't reccoment resetting GSCE's as that can cause more problems... I'd give it a go and if that doesn't work use your A levels/ do another degree and enter via post grad medicine.

Most of the people above are too young to have gone through the process, you will be judged on GCSE's. A level requirements come only after GCSE's have been looked at (assuming you apply as early as possible). Message me if you want a list of the none-GSCE heavy universities as I was in a similar situation to you not so long ago
HGS345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomSmith12345)
People are saying A levels are most important and having just gone through the process that simply isn't true... You don't even have your A levels in hand at the time of application and most universities ignore A level predictions as they're so inaccurate (if they're above AAA)

GCSE's are important and it would be a lie to say your grades are going to aid you in your application. Focus on the other areas of your application e.g. UKCAT and apply to your strengths- personally I'd avoid GSCE heavy universities. Universities such as Leeds have enough students to fill their whole year applying with straight A* at GCSE every year (or so they told me). I wouldn't reccoment resetting GSCE's as that can cause more problems... I'd give it a go and if that doesn't work use your A levels/ do another degree and enter via post grad medicine.

Most of the people above are too young to have gone through the process, you will be judged on GCSE's. A level requirements come only after GCSE's have been looked at (assuming you apply as early as possible). Message me if you want a list of the none-GSCE heavy universities as I was in a similar situation to you not so long ago
I'm a third year medic so I have gone through the process. Your A-Level predictions do have some value. The whole 'most universities ignore your A-Level predictions' isn't true. If that was the case it would make it a lot harder for them to filter out applicants, and the whole point of UKCAT/BMAT is to make the filtering process more efficient and quick. My statement that A-Levels are most important don't just include the application process. I'm talking about getting the grades at the end as well. Secondly, I know several people who've received several interviews yet they had only a few A*'s and A's, and several B grades.

Though I do agree GCSEs are important, I did not state that they have no significance. But universities like Manchester, Nottingham, KCL etc. mainly base your application off of your UKCAT.
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HGS345)
I'm a third year medic so I have gone through the process. Your A-Level predictions do have some value. The whole 'most universities ignore your A-Level predictions' isn't true. If that was the case it would make it a lot harder for them to filter out applicants, and the whole point of UKCAT/BMAT is to make the filtering process more efficient and quick. My statement that A-Levels are most important don't just include the application process. I'm talking about getting the grades at the end as well. Secondly, I know several people who've received several interviews yet they had only a few A*'s and A's, and several B grades.

Though I do agree GCSEs are important, I did not state that they have no significance. But universities like Manchester, Nottingham, KCL etc. mainly base your application off of your UKCAT.
I completely agree. I've known people receive interviews with B's at GCSE but never with a C which OP has. This is why I think they should very carefully tailor their application to specific universities with heavy focus on the UKCAT/BMAT. It might be possible but it will be more difficult that someone with amazing GCSE's (straight A*'s).

Of course A level predictions have relevance but only up to the point where you achieve 3A's- anything above that simply doesn't matter. I think I worded my initial post wrong... sorry for any misunderstanding.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I completely agree. I've known people receive interviews with B's at GCSE but never with a C which OP has. This is why I think they should very carefully tailor their application to specific universities with heavy focus on the UKCAT/BMAT. It might be possible but it will be more difficult that someone with amazing GCSE's (straight A*'s).

Of course A level predictions have relevance but only up to the point where you achieve 3A's- anything above that simply doesn't matter. I think I worded my initial post wrong... sorry for any misunderstanding.
I had a C in my GCSEs - so now you know one!

(Years ago though, but still)
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?

Please can you send me those, it would be really helpful!!
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?

Would it be that big of a problem because the C’a aren’t in really key subjects?
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I had a C in my GCSEs - so now you know one!

(Years ago though, but still)
That's gotta be reassuring for OP!!! Now we know it is doable they're going to feel a lot better
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's gotta be reassuring for OP!!! Now we know it is doable they're going to feel a lot better
:lol: I also didn't have to do UKCAT too (the last year it wasn't mandatory), and my offer was AAB (the standard at the time). Plus my Uni has already tuned up the requirements, so sorry to the OP but it's not going to help.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Once again you storm through getting hope up and the destroying hopes and dreams everywhere :lol:
They don't call me the dreamcrusher for nothing! (actually would make a good username) :laugh:
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Would it be that big of a problem because the C’a aren’t in really key subjects?
It's more about your overall GCSE profile being stained- I wouldn't worry though, someone else in this thread got in with a C. But I think it is quite rare so remember to work hard on all the other areas of your application!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's more about your overall GCSE profile being stained- I wouldn't worry though, someone else in this thread got in with a C. But I think it is quite rare so remember to work hard on all the other areas of your application!
:no: :nope: :nah: Please don't use me as a benchmark, my med school (and most / every other one) has increased the GCSE requirements since I applied and graduated so it's not like that any more :eek:
TomSmith12345
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
:no: :nope: :nah: Please don't use me as a benchmark, my med school (and most / every other one) has increased the GCSE requirements since I applied and graduated so it's not like that any more :eek:
Oh sorry! I'm sure other students will still get in with C's in GCSE though if they nail other areas of the application As far as I can tell applying for medicine is more about the overall picture than individual elements. As OP is already showing he's motivated and interested in applying I'm sure he'll do fine

(I won't use you again, but it's interesting to see how things have changed over the years!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (49)
14.24%
Uncertainty around my education (59)
17.15%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (34)
9.88%
Isolating with family (23)
6.69%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (13)
3.78%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (25)
7.27%
Loneliness (32)
9.3%
Financial worries (12)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (36)
10.47%
Exposure to negative news/social media (27)
7.85%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (34)
9.88%

Watched Threads