The Student Room Group

Problems changing gear?

I’m still very new to driving but whenever I have to change gear say from 3rd to 2nd I forget where to move the gear stick to and then put it in the wrong one! I accidently put the car in reverse TWICE which could have been fatal if my instructor wasn’t there... How can I remember which gear I’m in whilst driving?
Reply 1
Theres a lot of videos on youtube with help and advice on gear changes, and I absolutely recommend asking your driving instructor, that will be the best help you can get since they’re there with you
Reply 2
Practice, practice and more practice.
Well, don't worry about putting it in reverse whilst driving forwards, the car won't let you do that - you'll just get a lovely loud grinding noise instead and the car will still be in neutral. Ask your instructor if you can take a photo of the gearknob next time you're in the car, then when you're not in lessons you can keep looking at the pic of it to learn the layout of it off by heart. Also helps to remember that the odd numbered gears are at the top, and the even numbered ones are at the bottom.
You need a good visual memory of the gear stick, try remember which gear is which by practising while the car is off.

As for the reverse problem, you must be pushing down on the gear stick to make it go into reverse. I can't see you pulling up on the gear stick that wouldn't be natural, it may help to drop from 3rd to neutral, then left and down to 2nd.
Had a few issues myself with gears, especially on roundabouts. But believe me when I say it, it does get better with practice. Practice at home, sit on a chair and pretend to drive, watch youtube videos also.

Good luck and hope it all comes together.
Reply 6
Have you tried using the clutch?
Look up the "palming method" on youtube. I now use this method and haven't got a gear change wrong or stuck.

I do find the method slightly uncomfortable on my hand (I'm left-handed so it's a little awkward to position my hand, with my thumb facing downwards). But with this method, I can feel where the gear stick is and where it's going to move to.

And, of course it's all to do with practice really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending