The Student Room Group

A culture does not make a people. A people make a culture.

When Britain is majority British Asian, the culture will no longer be British. It will be Asian, meaning that everyone will aspire to work in the bank.

Scroll to see replies

Hey
lol what

Original post by kraken27
When Britain is majority British Asian, the culture will no longer be British. It will be Asian, meaning that everyone will aspire to work in the bank.
r/im14andthisisdeep
Is this what people fear? That their culture will be swarmed by others?

boy quit worrying and live yo life
Culture is not static, but dynamic, that is, it changes.

Also, culture is not linear, but circular. That is, people make culture, but culture also make people.
It used to be that people fought wars for territory. Now they just make more of themselves.
Interesting. All of my Asian students aspire to be doctors or lawyers. But that isn't culture. Asians have their culture despite being a minority. And the British culture of cesspit pubs and all day breakfast cafes persists in Spanish expat communities so feel save that British culture won't die out when we are in a minority.
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek
Interesting. All of my Asian students aspire to be doctors or lawyers. But that isn't culture. Asians have their culture despite being a minority. And the British culture of cesspit pubs and all day breakfast cafes persists in Spanish expat communities so feel save that British culture won't die out when we are in a minority.

What about when we are non-existent? A minute trace of North Western European DNA will be detectable in the Asian population.

There is no sign this will happen though.
The last part of your sentence is bizarre.
What about when we are non-existent? A minute trace of North Western European DNA will be detectable in the Asian population.

And what if we are? British culture has always been a hotch potch of other cultures. But the idea that we will be wiped out is pathetic.
So the whole of the UK will be bankers because of the less than 13% of people of Asian ethnicity?

And no, culture is made by people and people are defined by culture. You're saying that we will be bankers because that'll be our new culture.
It is true. A culture cannot exist without people. Culture is what people live for as a society, in a region, in a city, even in a whole country. Culture is nothing but the attitude to life in total, id est by all of us. All the customs, the traditions, the identity of a living place is defined by culture, and people are the ones who give these a meaning.
honestly - its best just to let it go.

British culture is on a one-way street - and that may be a good thing. I expect it won't be good or bad, just different. There is no stopping the change though, the critical point was reached years ago, and bar the apocalypse, British culture will change radically over the coming decades.

I honestly, don't really care any more. the ideal of 'British culture' that I have, will just end up as another period in history - like many other times, that came to an end. No one mourns those times, or wishes to go back.. my children will know a different culture, just like I knew a different culture from my grandparents, and they won't feel the loss of my cultural time any more then I do of my ancestors.

Its best just to accept that things will change. And if like me you prefer the older aspects of British culture - then just go find it, and enjoy it. At least for our lifetimes its still present. I just spent 3 weeks back in the UK, and I couldn't have had a more traditionally (in my eyes) british time. I spent a lot of time with my family in villages and towns in the countryside, had a very traditional family seaside holiday, ate british food, played the same games that my family have played for generations, went to my towns fair, entered the cake baking competition, went to the pub with my friends, etc. etc. The fact that large parts of the cities are now culuturally different made no impact on my visit (or life, when I return to the UK to live soon), at all. I just didn't go there, and stayed within the cultural bubbles that I like and feel best in.

The change is inevitable, try and fight it and you'll just end up making yourself feel worse - enjoy the bits of culture that you still can access, and there is plenty of it left, for now.. and then realize that when you die, and the generations in the future won't care at all. They will love the new culture, and consider you a crazy old person.

yes, I'll tell all my perfectly normal British asian friends that they are freaks and that they'll somehow morph the country into a heavily conservative asian mono culture.

Come on OP... use your brain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL
Reply 16
Original post by Lilligant22
So the whole of the UK will be bankers because of the less than 13% of people of Asian ethnicity?

And no, culture is made by people and people are defined by culture. You're saying that we will be bankers because that'll be our new culture.

I am saying that a population of Asians living in Britain will have different attitudes and interests from a population of Britons (the English, Scottish and Welsh) living in Britain.
Reply 17
Original post by Princepieman
yes, I'll tell all my perfectly normal British asian friends that they are freaks and that they'll somehow morph the country into a heavily conservative asian mono culture.

Come on OP... use your brain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be like India.
Reply 18
lmaoo less than 10% of the country is Asian and BME calm down Barry Stanton. You voted for Brexit, it's coming next year, 3 months now so hold ur horses. BME will always be ethnic minority, whites are still majority. No ones stealing ur country nor ur culture.
Reply 19
Original post by kiki213
lmaoo less than 10% of the country is Asian and BME calm down Barry Stanton. You voted for Brexit, it's coming next year, 3 months now so hold ur horses. BME will always be ethnic minority, whites are still majority. No ones stealing ur country nor ur culture.

Yes, the tide is turning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending