Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am considering retaking A level history (I did the linear A level) to go from an A to an A* to meet the A*AA grade requirements (I currently have AAA) and reapply in my gap year. Would UCL still consider my application or would it not be as competitive? The course I'd apply to is ESPS/ISPS.

Thank you
Mad-Mullah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

From my knowledge, UCL do not accept retakes unless you had severe extenuating circumstances. I would not recommend wasting a whole year when you’re not certain you will get an A*.

I would suggest you take a gap year, get some really good experience and reapply to UCL if you went to a poor performing school or lived a bad area as you could get a contextual offer of AAB.

Nonetheless, congratulations on your grades, and good luck !
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zaporizhia)
I am considering retaking A level history (I did the linear A level) to go from an A to an A* to meet the A*AA grade requirements (I currently have AAA) and reapply in my gap year. Would UCL still consider my application or would it not be as competitive? The course I'd apply to is ESPS/ISPS.

Thank you
Some UCL courses welcome retakes, others don’t. Ring them up and ask whether it would be ok for the courses you’re interested in.

Even if they are happy to consider you that doesn’t guarantee an offer so make sure you have some alternative choices that you would be happy with.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabir.abd)
Hi,

From my knowledge, UCL do not accept retakes unless you had severe extenuating circumstances. I would not recommend wasting a whole year when you’re not certain you will get an A*.

I would suggest you take a gap year, get some really good experience and reapply to UCL if you went to a poor performing school or lived a bad area as you could get a contextual offer of AAB.

Nonetheless, congratulations on your grades, and good luck !
Thank you. I will probably just reapply for their International Geography course which requires AAA instead of retaking, as I don't qualify for a contextual offer
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zaporizhia)
Thank you. I will probably just reapply for their International Geography course which requires AAA instead of retaking, as I don't qualify for a contextual offer
Ask them before you rule it out. The politics dept accepts resits http://www.ucl.ac.uk/political-scien...g_questions/06 ESPS/ISPS might too
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ask them before you rule it out. The politics dept accepts resits http://www.ucl.ac.uk/political-scien...g_questions/06 ESPS/ISPS might too
Yeah I just got a response that they would consider my application, but it wouldn't be viewed as favourably as someone who has achieved the grades in the first sitting. I think it's too risky to warrant a resit, especially since I'd have to resit all the geography exams as I did the linear A level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (535)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (648)
41.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (318)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.58%

Watched Threads