The Student Room Group

got a low 7 should i do alevel maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lolu123
my school does edexcel as well.Roughly how big is the jump from gcses to alevel?

As a whole it’s completely different, it’s really not that bad for maths, (essay subjects the jump is extremely massive), maths would start with covering topics similar to gcses like surds, indices, simple algebra, to straight line graphs and circles... with some challenging questions, then becomes intense towards the end of the year 1 chapters. The jump will probably be felt for maths (realising how much content is covered in such a short space of time when revising). Like, relying on just the textbook or a revision guide may not be enough to attain an A grade, whereas gcse was quite simpler to attain As in, with little content revision/no revision. (Because of how dumbed down A*-G exams where). Doing 9-1, now, you’re more likely to be prepared for the jump now
Reply 21
Original post by akpo
As a whole it’s completely different, it’s really not that bad for maths, (essay subjects the jump is extremely massive), maths would start with covering topics similar to gcses like surds, indices, simple algebra, to straight line graphs and circles... with some challenging questions, then becomes intense towards the end of the year 1 chapters. The jump will probably be felt for maths (realising how much content is covered in such a short space of time when revising). Like, relying on just the textbook or a revision guide may not be enough to attain an A grade, whereas gcse was quite simpler to attain As in, with little content revision/no revision. (Because of how dumbed down A*-G exams where). Doing 9-1, now, you’re more likely to be prepared for the jump now

are the intense topics really difficult
Reply 22
Original post by lolu123
are the intense topics really difficult

They are not difficult to understand (some parts to them are slightly hard), but, it’s just being examined on it, which I find slightly challenging.
Reply 23
They are not difficult to understand (some parts to them are slightly hard), but, it’s just being examined on it, which I find slightly challenging

is the exam questions in different context or problem solving
Got 2 B’s at GCSE (assuming this is a 6? sorry i’m outdated lol) just got my alevels back and achieved an A* in maths and an A* in further maths.

Do it lol
Do it if you love it. Consider doing some extra reading too about maths.
Reply 26
Original post by asianism
Do it if you love it. Consider doing some extra reading too about maths.

what am i supposed to read?
Reply 27
Original post by Anon213
Got 2 B’s at GCSE (assuming this is a 6? sorry i’m outdated lol) just got my alevels back and achieved an A* in maths and an A* in further maths.

Do it lol

congrats bro
Reply 28
Original post by akpo
They are not difficult to understand (some parts to them are slightly hard), but, it’s just being examined on it, which I find slightly challenging.

Reply 29
Original post by lolu123

The exam questions are either of two:
•textbook recollection question.
•applied to a real life scenario. (Involves problem solving)
Reply 30
E=akpo;79480624]The exam questions are either of two:

are the problem quesion difficult and require lots of thinking.How often do u revise
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by akpo
The exam questions are either of two:

are the problem quesion difficult and require lots of thinking.How often do u revise

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by lolu123
are the problem quesion doable and how often do you revise

They are doable & I don’t have an answer towards how often I revise for maths, because I sort of crammed exam revision and papers, the week before my exam & approached it in a way, where I didn’t need to revise. (But, now approaching year 2 content, I’d say aim for 3-4 hours a week)
Reply 33
Original post by akpo
They are doable & I don’t have an answer towards how often I revise for maths, because I sort of crammed exam revision and papers, the week before my exam & approached it in a way, where I didn’t need to revise. (But, now approaching year 2 content, I’d say aim for 3-4 hours a week)

thank you for answering my questions
Original post by lolu123
what am i supposed to read?

Read what area of maths you like best. See if you actually love maths. Simpsons maths by Simon Singh is a very readable book.

Quick Reply