The Student Room Group

What to expect at sixth form

So I've just had my enrolment day and honestly I'm freaking out about It all, what should I expect from sixth form life?
Original post by Pumkinpie2002
So I've just had my enrolment day and honestly I'm freaking out about It all, what should I expect from sixth form life?

From experience, it's not too differen't from school in terms of the school day etc. etc. You do get free periods of course, but you'll probably end up treating it like a lesson to catch up with homework/notes anyway (I mean, you SHOULD be doing that rather than playing Bloons TD5 in the study room :colonhash:)

Lessons can be a bit intense and more like a 'lecture', but you'll soon adjust to that. Class sizes are also often smaller so there's little room to hide away from the teacher if you don't know the answer to a question :smile: Best to skim through the revision guide before the lesson starts, in my opinion.

In terms of making new friends, you'll do plenty of that especially if you're an external student. Everyone's on the same boat and should be quite friendly :borat:
pain
Reply 3
Waffling your free periods instead of using them productively (it happens to the best of us)

Smaller classrooms, different structure ‘lecture’ styled lessons, more academic.

Much increased workload/homework or assignments set regularly/consistently.
Hi!!!! Firstly, don’t freak out, you’ll get used to sixth form quickly (this is coming from someone who doesn’t like Change!!!!)Sixth form is very different to secondary, but in a lot of good ways! I personally enjoy and am able to do better in sixth form compared to secondary. I like the detail in a level. It’s challenging, but it makes learning a lot easier in my opinionYou won’t see the people u meet in sixth form almost ever again. So don’t get too caught up in friendship problems. Year 12 goes soooo quickly. And year 13 is literally 8 months. So sixth form is quickkkkk! Year 12 is the best year. I would do it again tbh :frown:
I don’t think this’ll help much but I’ve just finished year 13 and I’m not even exaggerating when I say sixth form was the best two years of my life so far! When I left year 11 I was devastated, I was a mess like crying like “I’ll never see my friends again” and “I will fail all of my alevels” but honestly I know it’s different for everyone but I’d go back and do sixth form over again if I could. It was really amazing. You get treated a little more like an adult and you teachers definitely prefer you to the younger years. Yeah the work is harder and there’s more content to learn, but you get so much more free time and support that it’s absolutely fine. Just work hard and enjoy it and you’ll be absolutely fine. I hope you love it even half as much as I did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest