The Student Room Group

Bad experiences with exam boards

Interested on which exam board you guys dislike the most and why?

Discuss below

(putting aside that the meta education system itself is majorly flawed)
Reply 1
AQA, they are completely horrible, you either get a marker that just wants to give you a 9/A* or just a good grade in general, or a harsh/lazy/terrible marker that essentially gives an A grade student, a very low C, so they are not encouraged to review the paper, or request a remark. (This is my opinion). I prefer edexcel, much more consistent with marking and higher accuracy overall.
Reply 2
Original post by akpo
AQA, they are completely horrible, you either get a marker that just wants to give you a 9/A* or just a good grade in general, or a harsh/lazy/terrible marker that essentially gives an A grade student, a very low C, so they are not encouraged to review the paper, or request a remark. (This is my opinion). I prefer edexcel, much more consistent with marking and higher accuracy overall.
I feel that way with OCR tbh
my experience with edexcel has always been positive

AQA don’t get me started, they’re contradiction heaven. i also feel there’s no continuity in their marking especially for english language and literature ( i know someone that got their script remarked from a 6 to a 9 )

EDUQAS used to be my favourite because i did religious studies and that was something (last year every question came from past papers from the whole 6 years they’d done that spec) but this year they slaughtered me
For me AQA has been the best (even if some of the exams have been a bit dodge). Eduqas/WJEC on the other hand. I did surprisingly well in the Media exam. HOWEVER - I thought it was largely inaccessible to many of my generally C/D grade class mates which I thought was unfair. One of the questions was something along the lines of 'Why is TV News on the news schedule' leading many to think it was asking about the schedule itself rather than it being a question about TV News' existence. Another question was about the representation....of a story? All the course material sent to our school surrounding representation was about things like age, gender, ethnicity etc. I only lost 5 marks on the paper but still think it was stupid. And I suppose I'm with the majority in my confusion at Edexcel maths' eratic boundary changes!
Original post by akpo

I'm not disagreeing, but how do you know all this?

Quick Reply

Latest