The Student Room Group

Will my University kick me out?

Basically, I didn’t manage to sit 3 of my exams in the summer as I had anxiety attacks. The university was aware of this aswell as my depression. They helped me through it all and made sure I could write them during the resit period. I haven’t been able to sit the exams coz of these anxiety attacks and I am so worried that the university is just going to kick me out.

I was thinking of taking a year out to just fix things and I would be asking them to defer my place until 2019 but I’m so worried they will say no and kick me out instead.

What do you lot think ?
Reply 1
Each university has its own rules for progression and award (and for what options are available for a leave of absence) so you need to look at your university handbooks/regulations. Talk to your academic supervisor or tutor or student union if you don't know where to find the information.
Original post by readologist
Basically, I didn’t manage to sit 3 of my exams in the summer as I had anxiety attacks. The university was aware of this aswell as my depression. They helped me through it all and made sure I could write them during the resit period. I haven’t been able to sit the exams coz of these anxiety attacks and I am so worried that the university is just going to kick me out.

I was thinking of taking a year out to just fix things and I would be asking them to defer my place until 2019 but I’m so worried they will say no and kick me out instead.

What do you lot think ?

No I dont think they will kick you out. Presumably you have given them a doctors note and hey realise you have a real issue?
You can suspend your studies if you go and talk to your supervisor. They should be fine with this. You can get a doctors note as well suggesting some time off will help you deal with your issues.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
No I dont think they will kick you out. Presumably you have given them a doctors note and hey realise you have a real issue?
You can suspend your studies if you go and talk to your supervisor. They should be fine with this. You can get a doctors note as well suggesting some time off will help you deal with your issues.

They already have all the doctors notes including councillor notes. So you suggest I should as a doctor to write a letter saying she thinks a yet off would be beneficial to me? Or is it enough that they have proof of my mental health issues
They already have all the doctors notes including councillor notes. So you suggest I should as a doctor to write a letter saying she thinks a yet off would be beneficial to me? Or is it enough that they have proof of my mental health issues

Talk to your tutor and suggest your MH is not great and you are thinking of applying for a suspension of studies so you can start to deal with your MH issues. they should be able to advice you if you need any more.
Hopefully you havent signed up for your accommodation?
You should discuss with your parents as well.

You may not need a doctor's note. I took six months out of university for MH reasons and wasn't required to provide evidence.
Hi

Technically could suspend your studies for a year and work on ways to deal with your mental health., however the issue would be if if you did suspend your studies. How is going to make you feel three or four months in and everyone is mid way through and will it make it harder to motivate yourself and may not deal with underlying anxiety issues.

When I took a few years out due to mental health, I instantly regretted it and felt lost in my self. I no longer had the purpose in life, felt like I was just two arms and legs not even a tiny bit human and because I couldn’t work. I was signed off work there was nothing I could do or wanted to do.

Legally they can’t drop you from the course and send you packing
Reply 7
Original post by TeddyBear86
Hi

Technically could suspend your studies for a year and work on ways to deal with your mental health., however the issue would be if if you did suspend your studies. How is going to make you feel three or four months in and everyone is mid way through and will it make it harder to motivate yourself and may not deal with underlying anxiety issues.

When I took a few years out due to mental health, I instantly regretted it and felt lost in my self. I no longer had the purpose in life, felt like I was just two arms and legs not even a tiny bit human and because I couldn’t work. I was signed off work there was nothing I could do or wanted to do.

Legally they can’t drop you from the course and send you packing

I honestly have been thinking about this. Thank you for your response.

I don’t know if maybe I am going to be making myself worse. I was going to spend half the time doing the things I wanted to do -had my parents allowed me to take a gap year- and then the rest of the time I’m doing counselling and workshops for anxiety and self confidence whilst working and saving up for next year. I think If I don’t sit around much I can keep myself distracted.
What do you think?

When you say they legally can’t drop me is it because they will be discriminating against my mental health or is there another legal entity involved?
Could they kick me out on the grounds that I didn’t sit the exams though (despite being a result of the anxiety)
The university cannot legally drop you on the basis of mental health or physical health it will be discrimination. If say for example you didn’t turn up to lectures and seminars because you wanted an extra lie in and that you didn’t do work, I.e went to the pub. Then they have grounds but because it’s mental health reasons they don’t stand a chance legally.
How about considering going back to the uni on part time basis to ease yourself back.

Is it the course that’s causing your issues or something else?
Reply 9
Original post by TeddyBear86
The university cannot legally drop you on the basis of mental health or physical health it will be discrimination. If say for example you didn’t turn up to lectures and seminars because you wanted an extra lie in and that you didn’t do work, I.e went to the pub. Then they have grounds but because it’s mental health reasons they don’t stand a chance legally.
How about considering going back to the uni on part time basis to ease yourself back.

Is it the course that’s causing your issues or something else?

Oh okay I understand now.
I like the part time idea I’ll ask the advisor later on this afternoon.

As for what’s causing this, I think it’s more of my own lack of self belief. The course (law) is interesting and I have loved every single bit of it. It’s just the fear of failure because there’s so much at stake aswell as my lack of self belief. For a levels I didn’t get all the grades I was predicted (AAA) but my uni still took me in (due to other things) I constantly feel inferior to all the other students who are here on merit.

(Lol I’ve poured out my heart)
If its affecting your grades, then i would get some help to deal with it. They can drop you eventually. They cant discriminate against you which are different things.
You need to be in a good frame of mind before attempting your exams. Sorting out MH problems whilst doing a degree seems unwise to me as it will impact on your studies. I disagree with teddybears that you are as secure as they suggest. You also have the issue of whether you MH makes it impossible for you to do the degree. Do get some help.
You need to speak to your programme admin directly... I'm surprised they haven't been phoning or emailing you. If this is undergrad then you need to pass one year before moving onto the next as you need to accumulate 120 credits each year.
Original post by 999tigger
If its affecting your grades, then i would get some help to deal with it. They can drop you eventually. They cant discriminate against you which are different things.
You need to be in a good frame of mind before attempting your exams. Sorting out MH problems whilst doing a degree seems unwise to me as it will impact on your studies. I disagree with teddybears that you are as secure as they suggest. You also have the issue of whether you MH makes it impossible for you to do the degree. Do get some help.

Thanks. I Defo think it might be too much to sort out my MH and studies but it might be hard to come back if I don’t study for a whole year.

I have literally just spoken to the university and they said “don’t think you don’t have options because you certainly do have options”. (Guessing it means I’m not going to be kicked out).
I have been speaking to the tutors and advisors. They all know what’s going on. They have assured me jut a few minutes ago that I do have options so I guess I won’t be getting kicked out
Thanks. I Defo think it might be too much to sort out my MH and studies but it might be hard to come back if I don’t study for a whole year.

I have literally just spoken to the university and they said “don’t think you don’t have options because you certainly do have options”. (Guessing it means I’m not going to be kicked out).

Is this first year?

You obviously have some issues and I suspect youve had them for several years, its just they catch up with you.
If its first year then you can do a degree elsewhere if it came to it. Imo your MH prevents you performing at your best which is the concern.
Maybe if you sort the MJ out you will see things differently and everything wont be as daunting or worrisome.

See what options they have and be sure to talk to MH services plus keep your tutor informed.

In these situations you can always protect yourself by keeping a diary of efforts to resolve the issues as well as noting how it affects your studies. It also helps if you have medical evidence. this can be your insurance. Unfortunately people hide in their rooms and dont seek help so its difficult to appeal without evidence.
But surely mental health issues are going to be with you while you at university as well, i know lots of students of coping with depression and anxiety before,
during and after university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending