josh20019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys, first time using the A-level section of the forums. I have recently been given a summer tasks for economics, some are relatively simple and some more complex, could use with some help on the following:

'Construct an economic defence of the argument that there should be no state provision of healthcare or education'
'find the total % of GDP values for leakages (T,S,M) and injections (I,G,X)'
username3257996
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by josh20019)
Hey guys, first time using the A-level section of the forums. I have recently been given a summer tasks for economics, some are relatively simple and some more complex, could use with some help on the following:

'Construct an economic defence of the argument that there should be no state provision of healthcare or education'
'find the total % of GDP values for leakages (T,S,M) and injections (I,G,X)'
I just finished my A Levels (Business, Economics and Chemistry)

In a circular flow of income

• T, S and M:
Tax, Saving and Imports (factors that "pull" money out of the "line or chain" - think of how bags are taken by their owners at airport baggage claim areas)

• I, G and X:
Investment, Government spending and Exports (factors that "push" or generate money into the circular flow of income)

Now, since you have to "defend" this opinion or statement, it means you will be favouring INJECTIONS because the provision of healthcare or education will fall under Government spending and so you have to mention all the benefits involved as well as the fact that money is likely to be generated (since this is an "injection") after the provision of healthcare and education turns out to be successful - because there will be a greater proportion of (future or current) employees after an improvement in education - therefore better job opportunities!

Also, providing healthcare can reduce the death rates, hence maintaining the optimum population or leading to a rise in birth rates - either way, this will once again, increase the size of the workforce / labour force.

Since this is an economic defence, you'll definitely have to provide statistics or some sort of calculation / mathematical evidence (which will the % of GDP values). This concept will be part of "The Multiplier"

I suggest that you have a look at the:

Cambridge International AS and A Level Economics - coursebook

(Chapter 9 page 245 onwards and also have a look at previous pages in case you need any help regarding employment or characteristics of (developed, developing and emerging) economies)

*** Hope this helped and if you need any help regarding this then I am more than happy to help out ***

● To all those who come across my comment / advice, if I may have mentioned something incorrect, kindly let me know or correct me politely instead of being rude or saying that what I've mentioned is useless or worthless ●
josh20019
Rep:
?
(Original post by reyxhh)
I just finished my A Levels (Business, Economics and Chemistry)

In a circular flow of income

• T, S and M:
Tax, Saving and Imports (factors that "pull" money out of the "line or chain" - think of how bags are taken by their owners at airport baggage claim areas)

• I, G and X:
Investment, Government spending and Exports (factors that "push" or generate money into the circular flow of income)

Now, since you have to "defend" this opinion or statement, it means you will be favouring INJECTIONS because the provision of healthcare or education will fall under Government spending and so you have to mention all the benefits involved as well as the fact that money is likely to be generated (since this is an "injection") after the provision of healthcare and education turns out to be successful - because there will be a greater proportion of (future or current) employees after an improvement in education - therefore better job opportunities!

Also, providing healthcare can reduce the death rates, hence maintaining the optimum population or leading to a rise in birth rates - either way, this will once again, increase the size of the workforce / labour force.

Since this is an economic defence, you'll definitely have to provide statistics or some sort of calculation / mathematical evidence (which will the % of GDP values). This concept will be part of "The Multiplier"

I suggest that you have a look at the:

Cambridge International AS and A Level Economics - coursebook

(Chapter 9 page 245 onwards and also have a look at previous pages in case you need any help regarding employment or characteristics of (developed, developing and emerging) economies)

*** Hope this helped and if you need any help regarding this then I am more than happy to help out ***

● To all those who come across my comment / advice, if I may have mentioned something incorrect, kindly let me know or correct me politely instead of being rude or saying that what I've mentioned is useless or worthless ●
Thank you so much, the only thing i’m struggling with now is the second task where i have to calculate the leakages and injections of the uk economy. Imm not sure where i can find the statistics
username3257996
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much, the only thing i’m struggling with now is the second task where i have to calculate the leakages and injections of the uk economy. Imm not sure where i can find the statistics
No worries! Are you supposed to be using actual statistics? I mean isn't it provided in the question?
josh20019
Rep:
?
(Original post by reyxhh)
No worries! Are you supposed to be using actual statistics? I mean isn't it provided in the question?
I think i worded the tasks awkwardly, the economic defence is a seperate task to the total value of sections of gdp
username3257996
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think i worded the tasks awkwardly, the economic defence is a seperate task to the total value of sections of gdp
Ohh, that makes sense. I guess you could search up the statistics or just assign an amount to each factor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads