Hazard management question Watch

12westlada
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have read in numerous a-level textbooks that hazard mitigation strategies are supposed to ‘avoid, delay or prevent hazard events’. So how come hazard resistant design is a mitigation strategy because it won’t stop a hazard occurring. Wouldn’t it be an adaptation strategy instead since it ‘reduces the impacts of hazard events’ and decreases vulnerability. Is anyone able to explain the difference to me?

Many thanks.
gryffindorjem14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I learnt hazard management techniques using the headings modify the event, the vulnerability and the loss (from the OCR a-level textbook I think)
Modify the event is stopping the event from happening, delaying it or reducing the impact of the event by actively interfering with it e.g. by spraying water over lava to cool it and stop it spreading.
Modifying the vulnerability reducing a place’s/people’s vulnerability to events e.g. using evacuation, hazard-proof buildings, education etc.
Modifying the loss is what happens during and after an event to stop people dying, destruction of buildings, disease etc. so reducing losses e.g. aid, emergency services, evacuation (during the event) etc.
Sorry if this doesn’t seem very clear, have a read of the OCR textbook because it explains it much better than me.
Hope this helped xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.36%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.96%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.09%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.53%
No (253)
71.07%

Watched Threads