https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-45283401

Even moderate drinking is likely to be bad for you overall
Last edited by MartinF98; 5 months ago
the beer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What about impact on mental wellbeing, the tiny increase in risk of cancer and other diseases could easily be outweighed by an increase in mental wellbeing.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by the beer)
What about impact on mental wellbeing, the tiny increase in risk of cancer and other diseases could easily be outweighed by an increase in mental wellbeing.
Username checks out.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Humans have been drinking beer for literally thousands of years. I'll take my chances.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 5 months ago
so those who drank 1 alcoholic drink a day increased their chances of disease or injury by less than 0.05%. to say there's 'no safe level of alcohol' then is a bit of a stretch.

yes, it increases significantly after 1 drink - but they also included road traffic accidents. of course there will be increased risk the more risks you include. how are misleading studies like this even legal?
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Health advice can be so contradictory.
akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Best to just avoid alcohol altogether
the beer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by akbar0123)
Best to just avoid alcohol altogether
Other less harmful recreational drugs are available.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MartinF98)

This article is awful. Whoever wrote it (Laurel Ives) just saw a potential headline and wrote tons of nonsense about it.

For a start, it's nothing new. Alcohol does cause disease. Alcohol also has some preventative properties. Alcohol also helps (some) people enjoy life.

Second, everything's been lumped in together. Heart disease has been equated with cancer, as has any other 'alcohol-related health problem' or injury. I know I'd rather break my arm from falling over when drunk than get cancer, and I imagine the same for pretty much everyone.

Third, the difference is so small as to be insignificant. Drinking one drink a day increases your risk by less than 0.5%, and that's on a base risk of less than 1% already. If you were comfortable running the risk of simply being alive with a tiny chance of illness, then you're going to be comfortable running the risk of being alive with a tiny tiny bit more than tiny chance of illness.

Fourth, what is an alcohol-related health problem if you're three times more likely to get one from not drinking than the extra risk from drinking 3 drinks a day? Is it really an alcohol-related health problem then or just a fact of life?
RivalPlayer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah, I'm not surprised.
But this is Britain; few will be put off.
ThisisEngland
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MartinF98)

Is it OK in moderation, I think so. It may not be great for you drinking beer but it's enjoyment for most native people of England- working all week and the beer is the chill out juice.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Drinking one drink a day is quite a lot- I like a glass of wine but I wouldn't have one every night, maybe 2/3 nights a week, and then go for a night out 1/2 times a month.

Lots of enjoyable activities carry an inherent risk, though- you have to balance up the costs/benefits for yourself.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm not sure how the BBC got from "a new study supports the conclusion that having a drink every day increases the risk of certain health conditions by about 1%" to "study confirms that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption". No doubt the likes of the Daily Mail will have managed to come up with something even more sensationalist.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Drinking one drink a day is quite a lot- I like a glass of wine but I wouldn't have one every night, maybe 2/3 nights a week, and then go for a night out 1/2 times a month.

Lots of enjoyable activities carry an inherent risk, though- you have to balance up the costs/benefits for yourself.
I agree it's a lot, but given that the recommended limit of 14 units a week is about a glass of wine a day it makes sense to have that comparison in this fearmongering article.
therandomperson
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
"Analysing data from 15 to 95-year-olds, the researchers compared people who did not drink at all with those who had one alcoholic drink a day.
They found that out of 100,000 non-drinkers, 914 would develop an alcohol-related health problem such as cancer or suffer an injury.But an extra four people would be affected if they drank one alcoholic drink a day.For people who had two alcoholic drinks a day, 63 more developed a condition within a year and for those who consumed five drinks every day, there was an increase of 338 people, who developed a health problem."

For a change of 4 in 100,000 It isn't really anything to worry about...Even the people who consume 5 drinks a day only increase by 338 (less than 1%)For ranges so low, external factors or dishonesty could have had a big affect
noey123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
this shouldn't really be a surprise to be honest....
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Pfft who cares. There are thousands of studies all with vastly different conclusions. Some say its excellent for you, some med and some it will kill you on the spot. Personally ive come to the conclusion to simply ignore any of this specious advice unless it is quite obviously grounded in fact and not with everyone drawing diametrically opposing conclusions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.73%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.57%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.23%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.83%