The Student Room Group

Gcse English grades unexpected??

Hi there
So yesterday was results day and I had very high hopes for English. I had improved so much in the year, going from being predicted 4’s in both English literature and language, to being predicted 7’s in both. I would get the best results in the class for mocks, and one time I even got a grade 9 in my English language mock. So I was very hopeful for my english grade for results day and thought if all else fails, I’ll have done well in English.....

Results day came and I was absolutely gutted to see that I got a grade 6 in both English language and literature. I don’t know what I did wrong; I revised my butt off for the both of them, prioritised revision for English because it’s my best subject, and I thought the exams went quite well coming out of them.

I have however got into my sixth form, and I am doing English literature for a level, but should I consider getting my papers looked at or should I not bother???
I’m in the exact same situation! Being the best in my class, getting straight 7/8s all year, it was such a shock when my English Lit came back as a grade 4... so so disappointed! :-(However school offered to pay for my remark
Reply 2
The exact same thing happened to me and some of my friends! I had been getting 8s and 9s in both Language and Literature in all my mocks, only to get 6s...
Original post by Inzaxxx
Hi there
So yesterday was results day and I had very high hopes for English. I had improved so much in the year, going from being predicted 4’s in both English literature and language, to being predicted 7’s in both. I would get the best results in the class for mocks, and one time I even got a grade 9 in my English language mock. So I was very hopeful for my english grade for results day and thought if all else fails, I’ll have done well in English.....

Results day came and I was absolutely gutted to see that I got a grade 6 in both English language and literature. I don’t know what I did wrong; I revised my butt off for the both of them, prioritised revision for English because it’s my best subject, and I thought the exams went quite well coming out of them.

I have however got into my sixth form, and I am doing English literature for a level, but should I consider getting my papers looked at or should I not bother???

Original post by PeachyBaz11
I’m in the exact same situation! Being the best in my class, getting straight 7/8s all year, it was such a shock when my English Lit came back as a grade 4... so so disappointed! :-(However school offered to pay for my remark

Really sorry you didn't get quite what you wanted. I suggest you see your exams officer and organiose to get your marked scripts back so you can see what you did right and wrong. Then your teacher can advise you about a review. You have until 20th September for your school to request a review.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Really sorry you didn't get quite what you wanted. I suggest you see your exams officer and organiose to get your marked scripts back so you can see what you did right and wrong. Then your teacher can advise you about a review. You have until 20th September for your school to request a review.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! My school submitted the review yesterday, so fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Original post by PeachyBaz11

Oh my goodness that’s awful!! You are so lucky that your school offered to pay for our remark :frown: I went straight to my English teacher with tears in my eyes and she just said my grade was fantastic?!! She didn’t even mention anything about a remark :frown: have you taken up the offer??
Reply 6
Original post by jorda8
The exact same thing happened to me and some of my friends! I had been getting 8s and 9s in both Language and Literature in all my mocks, only to get 6s...

Ughhh you know I’m starting to think that teachers were being too encouraging because they knew us, but these examiners don’t so maybe they didn’t see our work as excellent
Reply 7
I had the same thing I was predicted 7/8 but ended up with a 6 the school is offering a remark but I’m not getting my hopes up
Yeah got a grade 6 in my English language exam :/ expected a bit higher tbh oh well
Reply 9
Same here!

I’ve always got almost full marks in English Language getting consistent 9 since the start of year 10. Yesterday, I got a grade 6 in English Language (and an 8 which seems about right in literature).

The school weren’t marking me too high, either. They didn’t believe that I could be working at the level I was so they paid for two AQA examiners to come in and moderate my papers individually. The examiners actually marked me up.

It’s not like I was stressed for the exams either - I got a healthy mix of 9s and 8s in everything else.

Other people I know went from a 8 to a 4 in English Language. One person got a 9, one person got a seven. There were three grade 6s and the rest were 5 or below. This is a school with 250 people in my year that I’m talking about with really good English teachers.

I don’t know whether to get a remark - I was one mark off a 7 but don’t want to risk dropping down. I got 107 marks.

My school does AQA by the way.

One thing I did notice in Language was that the exam seemed slightly harder this year but the boundaries went up. Meanwhile, literature seemed easier yet the grade boundaries decreased from last year.

I really don’t understand what’s happened- people are tweeting AQA about it on Twitter asking whether they have messed up, they are insisting they haven’t.
Original post by Inzaxxx
Oh my goodness that’s awful!! You are so lucky that your school offered to pay for our remark :frown: I went straight to my English teacher with tears in my eyes and she just said my grade was fantastic?!! She didn’t even mention anything about a remark :frown: have you taken up the offer??

Yeah, shame they didn’t offer to pay for yours though :-(
If there was weird marking across everyone in English at your school then your teachers will be on to it and may well take it up with AQA. They may send a few for review and if they all go up this will generate a centre remark.

Good luck with it all.
Reply 12
I also had this scoring consistent 7-8’s in mocks and preparing heavily for the exam, that I believed went well, to only scoring 5’s in both Literature and Language! I’m not sure what has happened.
Reply 13
Original post by Ryan190
I also had this scoring consistent 7-8’s in mocks and preparing heavily for the exam, that I believed went well, to only scoring 5’s in both Literature and Language! I’m not sure what has happened.

Ugh it is so disappointing!!

Quick Reply

Latest