The Student Room Group

Does Oxbridge consider where you took your GCSEs?

I got one 8 six 7s and one 6. These results where the best in my school but are quite poor compared to other students. My school was in Special Measures and i'm not sure if I still have a shot at Oxbridge.
Can anyone help?
Original post by Nigel2001
I got one 8 six 7s and one 6. These results where the best in my school but are quite poor compared to other students. My school was in Special Measures and i'm not sure if I still have a shot at Oxbridge.
Can anyone help?

Hi! Yes you do, read the following extract:

"Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades (7,8 and 9). However, we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied. They will also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools. (See further information on how we use contextual data.) Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), your personal statement, academic reference, and any written work or written tests required for your course. If your application is shortlisted, your performance at interview will also be taken in to account."

the full info is on https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

It is under GCSE.

Hope it helps!
Reply 2
Yes!
Are you going to a different college or do you have to stay in 6th form?
Your AS grades matter the most in applying for uni, and if your school is on Special Measures then this will be the chance to show how good you are when in better education!
Reply 3
Original post by 163096
Yes!
Are you going to a different college or do you have to stay in 6th form?
Your AS grades matter the most in applying for uni, and if your school is on Special Measures then this will be the chance to show how good you are when in better education!

I'm going to a good sixth form and studying maths fm physics and phycology. Thankyou
Reply 4
Original post by AdilShaydullin
Hi! Yes you do, read the following extract:

"Higher grades at GCSE can help to make your application more competitive, and successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades (7,8 and 9). However, we do look at GCSE grades in context. Where possible, tutors will be made aware of the overall GCSE performance of the school or college where you studied. They will also have information on how you have performed compared with other Oxford applicants at similar schools. (See further information on how we use contextual data.) Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), your personal statement, academic reference, and any written work or written tests required for your course. If your application is shortlisted, your performance at interview will also be taken in to account."

the full info is on https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

It is under GCSE.

Hope it helps!

This is brilliant thankyou.
rah, oxbridge do have a website! Not trying to be rude but more time these questions can so easily be GOOGLED
This is brilliant thankyou.

Absolutely no problem! I wish you the best of luck in your application and in your first year of sixth form!
Reply 7
I'm going to a good sixth form and studying maths fm physics and phycology. Thankyou

Hey we're doing exactly the same A Levels!
I'm in a similar situation to you, I went to a pretty rubbish school with like 35% pass rate in Maths and English. You've had to work really hard for those grades and they are excellent, congratulations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest