edenloren
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I currently work for a small-mid size firm on the high street where I live. They specialize in a variety of areas of law.

I currently work with a Wills, Probate and Private Client Solicitor, who started practicing in 1970. The firm is small and only has one training contract place available and that is currently taken up by a student who graduated Uni the year before me. However, my line manager is confident that when his training comes to and end that I may be in a good position to start mine!

I accepted an offer from BPP to study the LPC (LLM) to start in Feb 2019, part time for 21 months. I have recently been made aware that I can choose 3 out of the 26 elective modules BPP teach on the course. I was having trouble with this, so I made a list and cancelled off the subjects I know I don't want to take.

I have managed to get it down to 3, obviously Private Client Law (I think I will need this for my current job), I have also chosen Advanced Criminal Litigation (I've had a keen interest in Criminal law since my first year of college in 2012 and almost all of my work experience has been in this area), I also picked drating, as drafting is a huge part of Private Client Work and I know criminal lawyers need it to.

Does anyone think picking Criminal Litigation is a stupid choice? My future goal is to become a Higher Rights Advocate in the criminal courts, hence why I am on the LPC route.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by edenloren)
Hi!

I currently work for a small-mid size firm on the high street where I live. They specialize in a variety of areas of law.

I currently work with a Wills, Probate and Private Client Solicitor, who started practicing in 1970. The firm is small and only has one training contract place available and that is currently taken up by a student who graduated Uni the year before me. However, my line manager is confident that when his training comes to and end that I may be in a good position to start mine!

I accepted an offer from BPP to study the LPC (LLM) to start in Feb 2019, part time for 21 months. I have recently been made aware that I can choose 3 out of the 26 elective modules BPP teach on the course. I was having trouble with this, so I made a list and cancelled off the subjects I know I don't want to take.

I have managed to get it down to 3, obviously Private Client Law (I think I will need this for my current job), I have also chosen Advanced Criminal Litigation (I've had a keen interest in Criminal law since my first year of college in 2012 and almost all of my work experience has been in this area), I also picked drating, as drafting is a huge part of Private Client Work and I know criminal lawyers need it to.

Does anyone think picking Criminal Litigation is a stupid choice? My future goal is to become a Higher Rights Advocate in the criminal courts, hence why I am on the LPC route.
This is not my area of expertise but generally I would say pick things that will help with your job which it sounds like you have and if you have a spare module pick what interests you.
edenloren
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
This is not my area of expertise but generally I would say pick things that will help with your job which it sounds like you have and if you have a spare module pick what interests you.
I, Thanks! I just wanted a second opinion! I don't want to waste these choices.

I am good at my current job and I love the work, so I know that studying Private client and drafting is beneficial.

But my end goal is Criminal HRA (although it may not be possible), I still want to be equipped for it.

Thanks
MouldyTriangle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey edenloren

we might be classmates!

i am staarting my llm solicitors in february 2019 too! the saturday part time course.

we should get in contact.

xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (188)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.52%

Watched Threads