The Student Room Group

how do i invest in stocks

hi ive become interested in buying shares of companies for ex apple amazon etc... problem is im 16 so im not allowed to, does anyone know a way around this that doesnt involve illegal stuff? ill be a bit devestated if i become 18 and the companies i wouldve invested in now go really high. am i suppose to trust someone to hold my stock for me or are there other ways? i did find something called a linked account but i dont think my parents are really for this. i also dont have 10k but only 1k. and another question, what software / website should i be using for long term investing? i take it trading 212 and plus 500 are only meant for day/swing trading, im looking into long term investments, thanks

Scroll to see replies

bump
Stocks like amazon and Apple aren’t worth investing in for the average Joe anymore tbh. I doubt you’d see any big returns, they’re good for day trading because they’re volatile and stay within a stable range and are on an upwards trend but it’s not the best for returns on investment unless you have large capital and a long time to wait.

And for long terms it’s hard to say, at this rate amazon and Apple could double their prices in a few years BUT thats assuming trump throws more tax cuts, cuts more regulations and the economy/stock market continues exploding which is key to recent rapid growth… study penny stocks and volatile stocks and the amount you can make in 3-5 years with luck can be made from statistical analysis on small stocks that offer large returns in a month. It takes ages for a stock to grow from £1500 to £3000. Yet some small stocks easily bounce around from £1 to £1.10 in a day giving you a 10% return in one day, do that 200 times a year and you’ll see a 2000% return, if you include the profits being reinvested you’ll see a compound return of something like 10000%+, so study the stock market first! Don’t just jump on big growing firms. The amount of capital you invest could be spent somewhere else that uses statistical methods rather than luck, less time involved and there’s bigger returns.
Oh yeah so my point was, study till you’re 18 when you can trade legally then go into the market for the big gain.
There are websites such as trading212 that offer some sort of demo where you can basically buy stocks with virtual money until your ready to buy stocks with rea money.
You start of with £50000 in the trading 212 version
Original post by Shadowmage9s
There are websites such as trading212 that offer some sort of demo where you can basically buy stocks with virtual money until your ready to buy stocks with real money.

Would also recommend watching Bloomberg and CNBC
There are websites such as trading212 that offer some sort of demo where you can basically buy stocks with virtual money until your ready to buy stocks with rea money.

yea ive tried the trading 212 thing which is nice, weird thing is though when i first had a look i just put money anywhere like i didnt care, and i just held them for a couple hours until it was green and i only did it for 1 day but i made like £500? is the demo much different from real life because if it isnt, whats stopping people from just buying any old stock and then selling when it eventually goes up? statistically speaking all the stocks will one day go up whether it be 10 mins or 10 months.

Original post by Anonymous
Stocks like amazon and Apple aren’t worth investing in for the average Joe anymore tbh. I doubt you’d see any big returns, they’re good for day trading because they’re volatile and stay within a stable range and are on an upwards trend but it’s not the best for returns on investment unless you have large capital and a long time to wait.

And for long terms it’s hard to say, at this rate amazon and Apple could double their prices in a few years BUT thats assuming trump throws more tax cuts, cuts more regulations and the economy/stock market continues exploding which is key to recent rapid growth… study penny stocks and volatile stocks and the amount you can make in 3-5 years with luck can be made from statistical analysis on small stocks that offer large returns in a month. It takes ages for a stock to grow from £1500 to £3000. Yet some small stocks easily bounce around from £1 to £1.10 in a day giving you a 10% return in one day, do that 200 times a year and you’ll see a 2000% return, if you include the profits being reinvested you’ll see a compound return of something like 10000%+, so study the stock market first! Don’t just jump on big growing firms. The amount of capital you invest could be spent somewhere else that uses statistical methods rather than luck, less time involved and there’s bigger returns.

where are you finding this info about tax regulations etc?
as for analysing with penny stocks shuld i be analysing the graphs with breakouts, channels etc or do you mean research the company itself? and also, what determines whether i should research the company or research the graph? and are companies with penny stocks really small companies or are there big companies with small share prices?
Original post by Gent2324
yea ive tried the trading 212 thing which is nice, weird thing is though when i first had a look i just put money anywhere like i didnt care, and i just held them for a couple hours until it was green and i only did it for 1 day but i made like £500? is the demo much different from real life because if it isnt, whats stopping people from just buying any old stock and then selling when it eventually goes up? statistically speaking all the stocks will one day go up whether it be 10 mins or 10 months.

There is no difference between the demo and real life other than the fact the prices are determined at the time you trade or sell.

1) You are't paying any fees margin fees, trading fees etc

2)There is a psychological difference between using real money and fake money.

3)Uncertainty also plays a big factor. The stock can go up as well as down. Unless your a day trader or a swing trader , most people are in it for the long term you can never know what happens in 5 years , 3 months or even next week.

You shouldn't be gambling with the stock market. If it were so easy to invest everyone would be selling their houses and putting the cash in the stock market which isn't the case.
Original post by shadowmage9s
there is no difference between the demo and real life other than the fact the prices are determined at the time you trade or sell.

1) you are't paying any fees margin fees, trading fees etc

2)there is a psychological difference between using real money and fake money.

3)uncertainty also plays a big factor. The stock can go up as well as down. Unless your a day trader or a swing trader , most people are in it for the long term you can never know what happens in 5 years , 3 months or even next week.

You shouldn't be gambling with the stock market. If it were so easy to invest everyone would be selling their houses and putting the cash in the stock market which isn't the case.

please do not invest in penny stocks if you are starting out.
please do not invest in penny stocks if you are starting out.

whys that?
whys that?

Newer investors are attracted to small share price.
DO not be fooled!

There is greater volatility in these stock markets.

1) Most people who invest in Penny Stocks are Day Traders and make their gains in a couple of minutes. If you holding your penny stock for more than a day you are almost guaranteed to lose your money.

2)There is low liquidity the price is most likely gonna change when you buy or sell a stock so may lose lots of money.

3)Most of these companies won't make it in the long term;

Unless you are experienced do not look at these markets.
Newer investors are attracted to small share price.
DO not be fooled!

There is greater volatility in these stock markets.

1) Most people who invest in Penny Stocks are Day Traders and make their gains in a couple of minutes. If you holding your penny stock for more than a day you are almost guaranteed to lose your money.

2)There is low liquidity the price is most likely gonna change when you buy or sell a stock so may lose lots of money.

3)Most of these companies won't make it in the long term;

Unless you are experienced do not look at these markets.

so what should i be looking at when im starting out then? i want to try and learn as much as i can and know what my strategies are etc before i hit 18 so i can build up enough money to start a business when i finish sixth form
so what should i be looking at when im starting out then? i want to try and learn as much as i can and know what my strategies are etc before i hit 18 so i can build up enough money to start a business when i finish sixth form

If you want to be 100% safe then buy stocks in companies that are most likely gonna stay for the future.
Most of these are big tech companies such as Google Microsoft Intel Apple etc

Invest in companies that have some sort of future goal.
For instance , Apple's future goal is to build some sort of future augmented reality headset that will replace ordinary phones,
Space X want to go to Mars etc etc

If a company does not have any future goals.
It is more or less saying it does not believe it is going to be there in the future.

I would personally invest in tech companies.
If you want to be 100% safe then buy stocks in companies that are most likely gonna stay for the future.
Most of these are big tech companies such as Google Microsoft Intel Apple etc

Invest in companies that have some sort of future goal.
For instance , Apple's future goal is to build some sort of future augmented reality headset that will replace ordinary phones,
Space X want to go to Mars etc etc

If a company does not have any future goals.
It is more or less saying it does not believe it is going to be there in the future.

I would personally invest in tech companies.

Have you adopted any trading philosophy as you can see I want to be a value investor.
Have you adopted any trading philosophy as you can see I want to be a value investor.

probably growth investing but im still very new to the stock market investing type place, im not to sure where to start really.
i thought i cant invest in space x because its private? dont you have to be an employee to buy shares for it?
Reply 15
hi ive become interested in buying shares of companies for ex apple amazon etc... problem is im 16 so im not allowed to, does anyone know a way around this that doesnt involve illegal stuff? ill be a bit devestated if i become 18 and the companies i wouldve invested in now go really high. am i suppose to trust someone to hold my stock for me or are there other ways? i did find something called a linked account but i dont think my parents are really for this. i also dont have 10k but only 1k. and another question, what software / website should i be using for long term investing? i take it trading 212 and plus 500 are only meant for day/swing trading, im looking into long term investments, thanks

You can trade real stocks with Trading212. They have no commissions, as far as I remember from their Youtube ad.
when i clicked on it i thought u were on about medieval stocks and i have got to say i am slightly disappointed.
Original post by John85
You can trade real stocks with Trading212. They have no commissions, as far as I remember from their Youtube ad.

https://www.trading212.com/en/Frequently-asked-questions?cId=4
no idea what interest swap is
probably growth investing but im still very new to the stock market investing type place, im not to sure where to start really.
i thought i cant invest in space x because its private? dont you have to be an employee to buy shares for it?

Yeah, you are right I got confused with Tesla.

Nevertheless there are other companies that have long term aspiration .
SpaceX is not the only one.

There is Amazon , Alphabet I could go on.
There are also companies that pay huge I think Intel has 2.3 per cent dividend.

I do not think I am certified to give you advice on what stocks to buy. However I would recommend watching CNBC again , they give 5 stocks for you to buy each month and all those stocks sees increases.

Since you are a growth investor you have to pick out trends and identify when a stock is about to shoot off.
Investment in growth stocks can be tricky and they normally do not pay dividends but they may have great rewards.
Trading212 seems a bit off to me. Why do they trade with no commissions don't they want to make money?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending