The Student Room Group

Any way I could have a year break while in secondary?

I am very stressed which is affecting my mental health, I have a lot of problems at home since I was a child; and I want to get away from everything for a year or so. And now that GCSE’s are close, I am literally turning into the people that you see in a mental hospital in movies. I’m very scared of my health, and want to have a gap year. Is this possible?
Original post by Confused a lot
I am very stressed which is affecting my mental health, I have a lot of problems at home since I was a child; and I want to get away from everything for a year or so. And now that GCSE’s are close, I am literally turning into the people that you see in a mental hospital in movies. I’m very scared of my health, and want to have a gap year. Is this possible?

A year break isnt really possible unfortunately, but you need to talk to your doctor's and school. Make sure everyone knows what's going on and that you're really struggling. Then hopefully you can come o some agreement- that you can have Wednesday's off, or drop some subjects, or something like that. But if they don't know they can't help you. Good luck, I hope you manage to sort something out!
Original post by Confused a lot

Absolutely not, this is completely out of the question. It is a legal requirement that you stay in school and complete your GCSEs within the specified time, otherwise your parents will be fined and eventually arrested and prosecuted for not sending you to school. After your GCSEs is it a legal requirement to stay in education or training until you're 18, doing something like sixth form, college or an apprenticeship. The exact same thing as above would happen to your parents if you didn't do this as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
My brother had a break between year 12 and 13 (2013-14 year). He started the year and got to around January when he had a mental breakdown and his school (admittedly private) agreed to let him take the year out and restart year 13 the next academic year.

However, this was before the law changed regarding staying in education until 18. There are though ways around this if you really think you need it. My brother could hardly get out of bed. Other people I know had to have stints in eating disorder units or had periods of psychosis (hearing voices, etc). It isn't something to be taken lightly, but if you get a doctor's note and you're able to work out a "home schooling" agreement then you could probably do it.

Whether it is worth doing so before your GCSEs is something I'd question though. There are things you learn now that you'll need then. In maths, for example, things you learn in year 9 and 10 will be needed in the exam. Same with parts of the three sciences (at least how I was taught them) and therefore taking a year out may cause difficulties here. If you've finished year 10 this will be even more difficult and probably cause you even more stress when you try to go back.

If you really need a year out I'd suggest waiting until you've finished your GCSEs, and then only if you're not doing a subject that requires knowledge of the GCSE as a foundation (maths, sciences). Also as someone who's just finished her A Levels, I will say that it's possible to do your GCSE exams without stressing too much about them. Most people I know got through them with barely any revision and came out with pretty good results. I still haven't read Northanger abbey and managed to get an A*. If you build it up in your head as this insurmountable task then you'll be stressed. Try to avoid thinking like that and you'll thank yourself later
I had a 2 week break every now and then when my mental health was bad, and after that was on a part time time table meaning some days I was in, some days not. And on different hours so I might only be in 5 hours a week.

Are you under CAMHS? If so they can write a letter and you and your parent can have a meeting with the school, give them the letter and they *should* be able to sort something out for you.

I was on
Monday- 9-11
Tuesday- off
Wednesday- 9-11
Thursday- 9-12
Friday- off

And during this time I was sent work to do at home. I did this for 6months before upping my hours year 11
I was also in a private room, with just a teacher doing their own thing, most of this time xx

Hope this helps
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest