Do you have to do Maths with Economics for LSE? Watch

This discussion is closed.
rocket2884
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to apply in LSE and I want to do economics. Is it okay for me to pick core maths, economics and politics. Can I still get accepted with no a level math and just AS Maths in context?
mylifeisajoke
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Nah you need an A* A-Level Maths. Econ is heavily maths based that's why.
rocket2884
Rep:
?
(Original post by mylifeisajoke)
Nah you need an A* A-Level Maths. Econ is heavily maths based that's why.
But it says on LSE website that core maths is still helpful (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information) Look at the end of subject combinations section.

I am really confused now because I am not sure whether LSE demands math a levels or not.
RivenOTP
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You must do A level Maths. AS Further Maths is also desirable. The Economics course at LSE is highly mathematical and you must have an enjoyment and aptitude for Mathematics to do the course. A level Economics is not even required to do Economics at University because they are very different as it is not mathematical at all at A level. I achieved A*AA in Maths Economics Chemistry Respectively this year. I am taking a gap year and am going to apply to LSE for Economics.. I made the mistake of taking A level Economics, I should have taken Further Maths instead then I couldve got 3A*s instead of just A*AA as I was not good at essay based subject such as Economics so it took a lot of hard work and time which could have been spent on other subjects to get the A* in them. If you are good at Maths do Further Maths and take Chemistry. If you think you are good at essays then you can take Economics.
rocket2884
Rep:
?
(Original post by RivenOTP)
You must do A level Maths. AS Further Maths is also desirable. The Economics course at LSE is highly mathematical and you must have an enjoyment and aptitude for Mathematics to do the course. A level Economics is not even required to do Economics at University because they are very different as it is not mathematical at all at A level. I achieved A*AA in Maths Economics Chemistry Respectively this year. I am taking a gap year and am going to apply to LSE for Economics.. I made the mistake of taking A level Economics, I should have taken Further Maths instead then I couldve got 3A*s instead of just A*AA as I was not good at essay based subject such as Economics so it took a lot of hard work and time which could have been spent on other subjects to get the A* in them. If you are good at Maths do Further Maths and take Chemistry. If you think you are good at essays then you can take Economics.
I've just completed my GCSEs and I got a grade 5 and entry requirements for maths a levels is a grade 7 (or at least a 6) so there is no way the school will allow me to do Math a level but please I really want to do economics at LSE. Please I need guidance. Thanks!
RivenOTP
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rocket2884)
I've just completed my GCSEs and I got a grade 5 and entry requirements for maths a levels is a grade 7 (or at least a 6) so there is no way the school will allow me to do Math a level but please I really want to do economics at LSE. Please I need guidance. Thanks!
I think that a grade 5 is like a C in GCSE Maths. LSE want mostly A's/A*s for GCSE's with atleast a B so a grade 6 in GCSE Maths/English. This is GCSE Maths we are talking about, so its clear that you dont really have the aptitude for Maths or enjoyment for it. So I guess your best bet is to just retake gcse maths and do a level maths and see what happens. Thats all you can do really, I'm really sorry... I cant think of anything else... Why do you want to do Economics at LSE anyway? You have a C in maths which means you dont really like maths, so you wouldnt really like studying Economics at LSE. I would advise you to have a look at other courses at LSE or Economics degrees at Universities like Birminham that dont require maths. I'm sorry but theres no other way around it... No offence at all but for GCSE's you really dont need to work or revise that hard. It just relies upon your natural ability to get top grades. If you have to retake GCSE maths that will say something to LSE about your mathematical ability. So, I would advise you to also try extra hard to do everything you can to participate in mathematical events such as maths competitions etc.
Last edited by RivenOTP; 5 months ago
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Look at the Economics degree requirements. It explicitly states A-level Maths is required to A*/A. The above information you linked is just in general for their courses at large; they think it's helpful for example if you're applying to do Anthropology or Politics to have it. It does not replace A-level Maths where it is stipulated as a requirement.

You need A-level Maths, or you're limited to some subjects that are e.g. "subject with Economics" degrees, rather than a degree in Economics. As above, Economics at university (especially at "top" universities like LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL etc) is necessarily mathematical. If you don't like maths, generally, you will not like Economics at degree level at such universities, and probably anywhere.
Eric RLiu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
LSE said clearly on the programme page for BSc Economics that an A* in AL maths is required. Even though further maths al is not a requirement, according to my experience very very few people without a further math al gets an offer. So only AS math is apparently not enough. You may consider the BSc Economic history, though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (81)
14.14%
Yes - a food allergy (60)
10.47%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.62%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (15)
2.62%
No (402)
70.16%

Watched Threads