Anon_98's first year at university Watch

Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So the past week I have spent time with friends, given away 70% of my clothes to charity meaning I need to purchase new ones very soon unless I want to rock up in underwear everyday, planned a trip to dunelm mill so I can buy out the entire store which I am still yet to do, slowly started packing my existence into cardboard boxes, booked my accommodation moving in slot and groaned at every single ucas email I've received. So. Many. Emails.

Some call it getting ready for university, I call it no thanks.

I'm Anon and last academic year I created a blog which helped me in so many ways therefore I'm creating another one in the hope that I can make the absolute most of my uni experience.

I feel like i've waited rather long to get to university + so i'm really looking forward to recording my journey. I also don't think there are enough university blogs on tsr and so i'd really like to be a step towards changing that.

I'm feeling so nervous, I have so many pent up worries. I'm worried about my flatmates, I'm so worried that I'll have a horrid mix of people. I'm worried that I won't get along with any of them. I'm worried I won't make friends. I'm worried no one will like me oh my like why am i even worried about this ??? who wouldn't like me.

I'm even worried I won't get good freezer space.

What is bad freezer space.

Can I possibly calm down.

I haven't joined any of the facebook groups bc I'm currently relishing my last moments and so I don't have a clue who I'm staying with. Quite honestly I just cannot be bothered + want to wait for in-person interaction bc it's so much easier so I'm hoping my lack of web effort won't make a difference. It probably won't no one really cares. Besides it'll be so much more exciting if I don't get to know them all beforehand. First impressions are fun.

I also really hope I'm placed with like-minded people. I had to do this mega long personality questionnaire thing a couple months ago in order to find my compatible set of students but I just hope they've got it right. At the moment all I can think about is being put with six weirdos who all leave raw chicken on the kitchen counter. That's gonna be like six chicken thighs that I don't want to deal with. I'm a vegetarian it's gonna be practically harassment.

I mention six people but the truth is I don't even know how many people I'm staying with - you could say I'm well prepared.

Paid for rent yesterday so we're officially moving up in the world.

Can I just say how glad I am to be back blogging. I had all these troubles stored within me for ages bc I didn't know where to post them since my last blog was over and so I felt totally lost in transition and basically had a meltdown last night bc I couldn't decide on a blogging platform but I am now releasing them to thousands of strangers at last and heck, once again, it feels great.

As for the bucket list thing, part of me totally wants to meet 300 new people and join six societies whilst solo canoeing every saturday but well, I can't help but feel this is all a big step in itself and I don't want a bucket list to be my main focus - which will inevitably happen if I participate bc I'll probably set *sky-high* aspirations. If I only end up meeting 100 people and only end up joining two societies then I want to be satisfied without feeling like I've failed myself. To avoid putting any extra pressure on me in what I imagine will already be an overflowing year, I won't be doing a bucket list in my blog.

So in this thread i'll be recording mainly my days at university, settling in, assignments, coursework I need to complete, flatmates and how i find them, societies, budgeting, unaesthetic meals, aesthetic city explorations, generally just my daily life at university.

The aim for my last blog was to post twice a week but I managed to greatly exceed that. Therefore I'll hopefully be able to retain a similar level of commitment this year.

Obviously, I am currently immensely excited about my course, I simply cannot wait + I hope my current love for it only grows. Additionally, I want to get involved in lots of things this year and I wish to develop further as a young individual + therefore I do hope the wait + the struggle to get here proves worth it.

Now that's all finally off my chest I should probably go back to sorting out my emails and crying about my future living situation.

Only two more weeks until I move out. - guess I'll see you then.

Thank you for reading.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Subscribed :love:
alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Can't waitttt!
Protostar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In to watch, good luck :heart:

(Original post by Anon_98)
I also don't think there are enough university blogs on tsr and so i'd really like to be a step towards changing that.
Agree so strongly with this!
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Agreed! Defo not enough uni blogs on here... that is why I started a gyg uni style blog AND a uni bucket list
Carpe Diem Jay
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Buckle up kiddo, it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Subscribed!
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So the past week I have spent time with friends, given away 70% of my clothes to charity meaning I need to purchase new ones very soon unless I want to rock up in underwear everyday, planned a trip to dunelm mill so I can buy out the entire store which I am still yet to do, slowly started packing my existence into cardboard boxes, booked my accommodation moving in slot and groaned at every single ucas email I've received. So. Many. Emails.

I'm Anon and last academic year I created a blog which helped me in so many ways therefore I'm creating another one in the hope that I can make the absolute most of my uni experience.

I feel like i've waited rather long to get to university + so i'm really looking forward to recording my journey. I also don't think there are enough university blogs on tsr and so i'd really like to be a step towards changing that.

I'm feeling so nervous, I have so many pent up worries. I'm worried about my flatmates, I'm so worried that I'll have a horrid mix of people. I'm worried that I won't get along with any of them. I'm worried I won't make friends. I'm worried no one will like me oh my like why am i even worried about this ??? who wouldn't like me.

I haven't joined any of the facebook groups bc I'm currently relishing my last moments and so I don't have a clue who I'm staying with. Quite honestly I just cannot be bothered + want to wait for in-person interaction bc it's so much easier so I'm hoping my lack of web effort won't make a difference. It probably won't no one really cares. Besides it'll be so much more exciting if I don't get to know them all beforehand. First impressions are fun.

I also really hope I'm placed with like-minded people. I had to do this mega long personality questionnaire thing a couple months ago in order to find my compatible set of students but I just hope they've got it right. At the moment all I can think about is being put with six weirdos who all leave raw chicken on the kitchen counter. That's gonna be like six chicken thighs that I don't want to deal with. I'm a vegetarian it's gonna be practically harassment.

I mention six people but the truth is I don't even know how many people I'm staying with - you could say I'm well prepared.

Can I just say how glad I am to be back blogging. I had all these troubles stored within me for ages bc I didn't know where to post them since my last blog was over and so I felt totally lost in transition and basically had a meltdown last night bc I couldn't decide on a blogging platform but I am now releasing them to thousands of strangers at last and heck, once again, it feels great.

As for the bucket list thing, part of me totally wants to meet 300 new people and join six societies whilst solo canoeing every saturday but well, I can't help but feel this is all a big step in itself and I don't want a bucket list to be my main focus - which will inevitably happen if I participate bc I'll probably set *sky-high* aspirations. If I only end up meeting 100 people and only end up joining two societies then I want to be satisfied without feeling like I've failed myself. To avoid putting any extra pressure on me in what I imagine will already be an overflowing year, I won't be doing a bucket list in my blog.

So in this thread i'll be recording mainly my days at university, settling in, assignments, coursework I need to complete, flatmates and how i find them, societies, budgeting, unaesthetic meals, aesthetic city explorations, generally just my daily life at university.

The aim for my last blog was to post twice a week but I managed to greatly exceed that. Therefore I'll hopefully be able to retain a similar level of commitment this year.

Obviously, I am currently immensely excited about my course, I simply cannot wait + I hope my current love for it only grows. Additionally, I want to get involved in lots of things this year and I wish to develop further as a young individual + therefore I do hope the wait + the struggle to get here proves worth it.

Now that's all finally off my chest I should probably go back to sorting out my emails and crying about my future living situation.

Thank you for reading.
Good luck for freshers, good on you donating so many clothes it's a great way to have a clear out before uni
username2835430
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm a vegetarian too! am totally dreading the raw chicken on counters! Not only is it meat but a salmonella risk and I just don't want that in my life Subscribed
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I hadn't seen this until now :eek:
Subscribing and rooting for you all the way ofc :lovehug:
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Update for 27/08/2018

17:36 - Hi so yesterday i ordered 11 polaroid photos of me in my favourite country which i'm gonna be pegging up in my uni room along with my many fairy lights and hope no one judges me for it lol. I'm sorry but i don't need pictures of friends + family bc they're always in my heart but I certainly need a visual reminder of myself bc i sometimes just forget who tf i am.

No but honestly it's just bc it's such an uplifting place for me and i'm cool + adventurous in those images so it will be an ongoing reminder of contentment if i'm having a bad day or whatever. I've got a word underneath each polaroid and if you put them all together in the correct order then it reads out an inspirational quote and i think it's super cute so yeah.

If you're going to uni and printing your own photos then personally i'd recommend using the lalalab app for this bc idk it's what i used so why not. I had a promo code one of my friends gave me and got £5 off which meant i only had to pay for delivery which was £1.69 so that was basically a bargain.

In other news, what do I do with an ipod touch that doesn't switch on. I found it earlier during my current major ongoing clearout and I completely forgot it even existed, like I can't throw it in the bin bc that feels somewhat wrong but like where do I put it. Is it recyclable, like can I recycle these things. At what age do you automatically know the answer to critical life problems.

Anyway whilst I was clearing out, I also found one of my jewellery boxes. Now, I still use it but it's groovy chick and like I didn't want to throw it away bc I don't currently have a replacement for where I'm gonna put the items but equally I didn't want to keep it bc it's way past it's time. Honestly it's bright pink, its in bad condition and it's just a big fat no from me. So I decided to get creative and upholster it.

I've painted it white, I'll probably do a second coat tomorrow but the big question is was it a success and would I recommend this, I don't know I do not know about that.

I mean, I'm not keeping it bc it suddenly looks tremendous or anything, I'm keeping it bc I did not suffer for nothing. It took me such a while to paint, like I used the wilko's non drip gloss and it is currently all over my skin and more skin and everywhere and I'm not having a good time.

If you, too, have old items which look like they should be thrown away then do you know what you should do ? throw them away. Throw them all away right now. It is not worth it. I don't think this is worth it. I have washed my hands like a gazillion times and I am still speckled in white flocks. I look like I've been sleeping in contagious clouds. I'm currently typing and my fingers are sticking to my screen as though I have white tac engrained in my fingertips.

I suppose it saves money so maybe try it out. Or you know, maybe don't try it out. I've been through it so you don't have to. That's all from me today, other than all that I've still been brunching, I've still been packing, I'm probably gonna be packing for a while. I probably won't be brunching for a while. It's getting colder and I don't want to leave my house. I don't know how to pack quicker. I've seen advice saying you shouldn't take everything with you but I have no choice but to take everything with me. I'm tired. I need dinner. Goodbye.

CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
ahah groovy chick :lol: had a purse with that on when i was a foetus :lol:

awesome paint job :jumphug:

(thanks for this morning - ly x)
furryface12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
:lurk:

:penguinhug:

:gl:
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Thank you for reading.
Annoyed that I never saw this sooner, but I think you will be fabber than you realise at uni :hugs:
username2835430
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
excellent work with the paint It probably doesn't seem worth it right now but I reckon that will make for great storage during uni, you could put spare change, jewellery, tickets and stuff in there
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That box looks so elegant now! You gave it the glo up all groovy chick things should have Sorry you’re covered in paint as a result! :fluffy:
Supernova36
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh wowzers, i'm SO jealous of anybody who is about to star uni. I remember my first year being genuinely the best year of my life, actually my whole time at uni was great but my first year in particular was the best. You've got it all to come, they'll be bags of nerves but everyone is in the same boat when moving in, I get a warm fuzzy feeling just thinking back

good luck, I can't wait to follow your progress x
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
lol I had groovy chick stuff as well :rofl:
Anonnnn can't actually wait will be following + supporting you throughout your uni journey yay :woo:
:excited:
Anon_98
Rep:
?
Update for 28/08/2018

12:36 - In such an irritable mood today I cannot cope. But you'll be pleased to know I've had such a change of heart regarding upholstering since my last post - I have now re-vamped 2 more items and they all look so lush in the glossy white, I love it and I think everyone should do it and literally ignore me from before. Don't know why I was being so moody haha. Like, instead of buying lots of new boxes and things for uni just get creative with your old items that you don't want + you might not have to purchase quite so many. Also you'd think that as an art student I would be absolutely used to a bit of paint on me but gloss feels a lot different to acrylic so do bear with. Like, acryclic, gouache, watercolours are all comforting + warm, gloss was intrusive + bad. Gloss is *now* comforting + warm too though.

I did just go out with white flecks on my face though, I don't know how it got on my eyelids of all places to be honest. Impressive at the very least. Basically went to the bank to change my account into a student one but the man said that I have to do it online or over the phone bc they don't do it in the branches anymore which was really annoying bc I went all that way for no reason. I'm now home and I've just applied online and they said it'll take up to five days so yeah. I'm just glad I've sorted it out tbh, I've been meaning to do it for months.

I'm currently on natwest btw and like, yeah I've heard great things about santander absolutely everywhere but I just can't be bothered to change banks. I like natwest + I've been with them forever and so I'm just going to remain a loyal customer cause I don't consider the difference to be that vast and if I do it on santander then I'll have to go through a much longer process which is just more work for me + I don't want to do that. Whereas with natwest they're only converting my current account so I didn't need to do half as much. I'm really not fussed on getting the best deal to be honest. Besides, the railcard they offer wouldn't be much use to me bc I can't imagine I'll be travelling back and forth a great deal. However, if you're currently stuck on choosing a bank to open a student account with then yeah, probably go with santander. Unless you don't care in which case do what ya like.

15:40 - hi so I've just returned from a uni shop, I'll do a little haul for you as soon as I get out of these clothes.

17:14 - so this afternoon i went to buy things for my bathroom and bedroom. i was initially going to go to dunelm bc that's where i always get my bathmats, bedsheets and towels from but it's so far away and i just couldn't be bothered for around 3 hours total travel time so i thought i'd try out primark instead + it was so much cheaper and i'm really pleased with everything i got tbh. literally can't believe i didn't think of it before. i also went to wilkos cause lots of people were recommending it in protostar's thread + it was also very good.

so the first thing i got was this like grey duvet set. it's got like mini geometric patterns on it in like different colours and i thought it'd be really funky. it's predominantly grey there but i really do like the little splashes of colour so yeah got that.

then i got these teal cushions, i'm not really sure what colour this is to be honest. sort of like slightly more green than teal but yeah really lovely colour and they came in a two pack + i thought this would go really well with my duvet set bc some of the little geometric patterns have the same shade of teal on it so i thought that was quite fitting.

then i got a throw. now i wanted a teal/sea green throw but they didn't have a small one, they only had like a gigantic extra large thing which was just impractical so i just got a regular sized grey throw instead and that was really cheap, £4, and probably a better colour choice tbh.

then to complement and balance out my grey throw, from wilkos i got this really cute grey almost poodle fur style cushion so like little coiled wool kinda design and i think this is really cute and works really well with my duvet and other items. it's a bit bigger than my other two cushions but i think it's perfect. this was really cheap too - at a cost of £6.

going back to primark, i also got a mattress protector cause we are important and what says self care more than a good old microfibre cover.

moving onto the bathroom section. i got an extra large towel in the same shade of teal/green. cause it was really cheap i thought i might as well just go for the largest one there but yeah this is probably too gigantic, could be a blanket tbh.

next i bought some face cloths and a bathmat. I got a grey bath mat to keep to my apparent theme.

i also got a little bin for the bathroom cause i think i only get a bedroom one from the accommodation people. i also got a little storage tray thing in the same woven design and those were both in the student section of wilkinsons and they were a bargain so i just couldn't help myself.

then i grabbed some mini pegs and those were like 75p so that was really fab.

i was walking past the kitchen bit and got a new mug bc i thought it was really cute and its pastel pink which is really cute too and i thought it goes really well with everything so yeah i just bought that too.

and finally i got myself some tea towels. when i went to ikea to do my kitchen shop, i completely forgot about the tea towels so i'm glad that this is now ticked off.

but yeah that's everything. i'm fairly pleased with my purchases and it seems that we're going for this like grey/pink/blue-green theme which was entirely unplanned but i'm happy with that and i'm looking forward to seeing what it's all going to look like in my new room. i'd really recommend going to the above stores if you're going to university, i'm so glad that i took the easier decision today and didn't exhaust myself out bc not only was it convenient but i managed to get everything i needed - you're going to have buy a whole set of new things for second year anyway so it doesn't have to be the bestest quality as you would have at home, though i do think everything i purchased is more than adequate quality esp for a student. i've still got quite a few bits to purchase but we are getting there, we are definitely getting there.

i don't actually get a toaster or kettle in my shared kitchen but i'm not buying these things bc a) i think it'll be easier to discuss, buy + split when i get to uni b) i can imagine a few of the other students have probably bought one already and so it's likely that there's going to multiple sets of appliances when we arrive unless they've found each other online and arranged something i don't know.

i'm now very tired so i'm gonna post this then chill out for a bit then probably spend my evening doing a bit more packing. i hate doing this like ugh is there anyone out there who will do it for me. but yeah i'll put some music on and eat bad food whilst i'm arranging + stuff and i'll probably eventually manage an hour or two. Goodbye for now.

Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Your theme sounds gorgeous! I’ve gone for a neutral theme with green features for my bedroom stuff (I believe I’ll have one fully or partially green wall in my room) and like teal towels for my bathroom I still need to check Primark out as I love their home stuff - gonna buy some throw cushions and some room diffusers from there I think (I love candles so it’s sad I can’t have those )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (331)
63.53%
Not yet but I am planning to (25)
4.8%
Not yet but I might (67)
12.86%

Watched Threads