The Student Room Group

A level maths

I got a 7 (A) in maths GCSE(although I think I just barely scraped by) how tough or challenging would A level be for someone who doesn’t naturally have interests in maths.

I already understand the huge benefits of A level maths I just want to know how difficult it is compared to GCSE, preferably the additional content taught and your personal experience with the subject

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by That1Nerd
I got a 7 (A) in maths GCSE(although I think I just barely scraped by) how tough or challenging would A level be for someone who doesn’t naturally have interests in maths.

I already understand the huge benefits of A level maths I just want to know how difficult it is compared to GCSE, preferably the additional content taught and your personal experience with the subject

Thanks in advance.

Hi, a 7 is fine for starting A Level maths. Whether you do well in it is impossible to say at this point. I've seen students who got a 6 in GCSE get an A* at A Level and students who got a 9 at GCSE getting a D. If you put in the work and try not to fall behind then you should be able to get a good grade.

A Level maths will begin with a similar difficulty to GCSE and you'll be revisiting some GCSE topics. It gets harder as the course goes on but it's manageable for the average student who puts the work in - there are no massive jumps in difficulty. There's more info about the course here.

Not having an interest in maths could be a problem but maybe you'll develop an interest as the course goes on. Why do you want to take maths if you don't have any interest in it?
Reply 2

Thanks in advance.

How were you with GCSE algebra? Most topics you study will contain some algebra and GCSE algbera will be assumed knowledge so you'll need to be confident with it. Bad algebra is one of the main reasons why students struggle with A Level maths,
Reply 3

Thanks in advance.

In terms of where it starts off, there is no visible jump in terms of content from GCSE to A Level. But what people struggle with is just the pace. The fact that you need to keep on top of the content at all times. It's not like GCSE where you could just revise in the last week and get a good grade.
The reason for this, is that in maths, everything builds on top of each other, so if you didn't understand something in one lesson, you won't understand what's taught in the next lesson, and by the next week, you'll be completely lost.
And it seems simple enough to counter, make sure you listen in lessons and figure it out ASAP if you don't understand something, but sadly a lot of people don't do this and end up trying to cram and ending up with a disappointing grade.

With a 7, what I would say, is that means you only got, around 50% at GCSE. So there must've been topics which you didn't fully understand, so it would be a good time to start going over these topics, so you're completely secure with GCSE topics and have a solid foundation to start at A Level.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek

Not having an interest in maths could be a problem but maybe you'll develop an interest as the course goes on. Why do you want to take maths if you don't have any interest in it?

Just broadening my horizons seeing what options I could take.

Original post by Notnek
How were you with GCSE algebra? Most topics you study will contain some algebra and GCSE algbera will be assumed knowledge so you'll need to be confident with it. Bad algebra is one of the main reasons why students struggle with A Level maths,

I quite like algebra although not surds.
Reply 5
Original post by have

With a 7, what I would say, is that means you only got, around 50% at GCSE. So there must've been topics which you didn't fully understand, so it would be a good time to start going over these topics, so you're completely secure with GCSE topics and have a solid foundation to start at A Level.

Yes I do understand grade boundaries were made quite low this year,
On the same topic are A level boundaries also made after the exams are done?
Reply 6
Yes I do understand grade boundaries were made quite low this year,
On the same topic are A level boundaries also made after the exams are done?

of course, why wouldn't they be?
Reply 7
Original post by have
of course, why wouldn't they be?

Thanks
I got a B in the old (probably old-old; it was in 2008, and I understand the syllabus has been expanded and exams made harder since then :tongue: ) GCSE Maths, and had no trouble with the A-level topics, nor with the maths I continued with on an engineering degree...

However maths in general (at least this kind of maths; the following doesn't necessarily apply to degree level abstract mathematics) requires continued practice, so while it's not "hard" per se, you need to spend time every week on the subject - ideally if possible even just doing one or two problems a day. This will make sure you continually reinforce your skills. It's not a subject you can really "cram" for (arguably no subjects are, if you want to get the best results, but I feel for maths especially this is true).

Provided you're prepared to spend an appropriate amount of time on the subject, a 7 should be more than sufficient...
I did A Level Maths AND Further Maths after achieving an A* in GCSE Maths in 2015. Here it from me, you'll be fine doing Maths as they start you off quite slow. Think about it, some people in the class would've got a B, some an A and others an A*, so they start off slow and quite basic to get everyone on the same page. If you barely got a B, then we'd be having a different discussion, but an A is fine. I ended up getting an A* in A Level maths, getting 481 UMS, but you need 480 UMS to get an A* (i.e. I BARELY got it, one or two less marks in any paper, I wouldnt have got it). But you know what? An A* is an A* regardless of the absolute marks. JUST DONT DO FURTHER MATHS WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Elliott M

. JUST DONT DO FURTHER MATHS WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!

Wasn’t planning to, EVER!!!
I did A Level Maths AND Further Maths after achieving an A* in GCSE Maths in 2015. Here it from me, you'll be fine doing Maths as they start you off quite slow. Think about it, some people in the class would've got a B, some an A and others an A*, so they start off slow and quite basic to get everyone on the same page. If you barely got a B, then we'd be having a different discussion, but an A is fine. I ended up getting an A* in A Level maths, getting 481 UMS, but you need 480 UMS to get an A* (i.e. I BARELY got it, one or two less marks in any paper, I wouldnt have got it). But you know what? An A* is an A* regardless of the absolute marks. JUST DONT DO FURTHER MATHS WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!!!!

You didn't do the A levels that exist now ...

Thanks in advance.

What does your teacher think? Most are a pretty good judge of who will cope.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
What does your teacher think? Most are a pretty good judge of who will cope.

I did ask my teacher before and they said I would be ok judging by some work I did. It was about triangle formulas I think though I can’t remember exactly
I did ask my teacher before and they said I would be ok judging by some work I did. It was about triangle formulas I think though I can’t remember exactly

OK - have you been set holiday work? If not, and you are serious about Maths, I'd do some algebra before you go back.
You didn't do the A levels that exist now ...

No, but I did the syllabus immediately before the current one, and in fact some students are still sitting papers from the syllabus which I did, and I only did my exams in 2017 so it's still recently
No, but I did the syllabus immediately before the current one, and in fact some students are still sitting papers from the syllabus which I did, and I only did my exams in 2017 so it's still recently

Yes but you can't comment on the current spec and your friends must be doing resits as that is all that they can do in 2019!
Yes but you can't comment on the current spec and your friends must be doing resits as that is all that they can do in 2019!

I'm simply contributing to this thread based on my RECENT experience with A Level maths, I appreciate that my contribution would be more useful if I was on the current spec but I already got my A*. I apologize, I was just trying to help. Surely it's better to TRY to help than not at all? Have a nice day :smile:
Reply 18
I’m thankful for ALL contributions and I’ll think about this

Quick Reply

Latest