The Student Room Group

let's boogie through year 12, girl

pinegrove'stime 2 shine (1).png

here is a radical prediction: year 12 is gonna be my year

i'm so excited for the fresh start, and i can't wait to make the most of it! i'm refusing to fall into the scared mood that loads of my pals of entering, so this blog is gonna be a 100% positive mindset.
i know i'll have low days, but this is where i'll reflect and turn them around.

but hopefully, most of the time, i'll be getting my boogie on and celebrating my progress :danceboy:

in year 11, i ended up getting:
english literature: 9
english language: 9
maths: 6
combined science: 8-8
health and social care: B
media studies: A*
history: 8
geography: 9

in year 12, i'll be taking:
history (early modern)
politics
philosophy

but now, let's get to know me
i LOVE music - my favourite artists are brockhampton, frank turner, pinegrove (clue's in the name), the smiths, and jamie t
i run a study group on fb called sounds like u need to revise but ok - there's over 3k members now!
my favourite colour is yellow (even my prom dress was yellow)
my favourite tv shows are downton abbey and orange is the new black

over the next two weeks i'll be preparing for college - stationary and clothes shopping, and some light prep work for my subjects! and then the hard work will really begin ...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best of luck for A levels! Will defo be watching :biggrin: I'm surprised you're not taking English for A level but regardless, I hope you do well!
Reply 2
Hey! I’m in that group, what a small world 😄. I also love yellow and also going into year 12 so theres that! Definitely following, I’ve chosen Politics and Philosophy as well but going to change Philosophy to Literature as phil is too much. Good luck!
oo tag me
definitely interested in your journey :h:
Reply 4
Original post by jdijx
Best of luck for A levels! Will defo be watching :biggrin: I'm surprised you're not taking English for A level but regardless, I hope you do well!

thank you! i was originally gonna take lit instead of philosophy but then realised i'm not actually that keen on reading fiction so it's probably not the best choice... i think i'll definitely miss it though!

Original post by bria.vp
Hey! I’m in that group, what a small world 😄. I also love yellow and also going into year 12 so theres that! Definitely following, I’ve chosen Politics and Philosophy as well but going to change Philosophy to Literature as phil is too much. Good luck!

ahh that's so cool, feels like yesterday it was just me and a couple mates in there! how come you thought philosophy would be too much? i'm definitely worried because i've heard all the horror stories about it but it seemed too interesting to resist ngl

Original post by rainclouds-
oo tag me
definitely interested in your journey :h:

will do!:u:
Reply 5
Original post by pinegrove
will do!:u:

I first chose it because I knew it was going to be challenging but it was really interesting but a girl in the college I’m going to has done it with AQA and it just sounded so terrible, this varies college to college but her teacher wasnt that useful and with AQA you have to learn a lot of books and theories and just a whole lot of stuff x100 and remember it all in your exams.
It’s honestly a huge load of work and taking it wouldn’t really benefit me uni wise so I’m changing it. I guess it depends on people too because I’ve seen some handle it perfectly, just depends on how much you can handle
woahh congrats on your gcses!!:biggrin:
deffo following your journey:smile:
also mm yess love me some pinegrove
Reply 7
Original post by troubletracking
woahh congrats on your gcses!!:biggrin:
deffo following your journey:smile:
also mm yess love me some pinegrove

thankyou! ahh nobody else i know has ever heard of them, and i always feel bad suggesting them to people after the recent drama :frown:
thankyou! ahh nobody else i know has ever heard of them, and i always feel bad suggesting them to people after the recent drama :frown:

mm i agree, always feel conflicted over how much i like the music and how disgusted i feel over the lead singer:s-smilie:
Good luck for this year! :biggrin:

Will be following along too.
Reply 10
Original post by JoeyTanaka
Good luck for this year! :biggrin:

Will be following along too.

thank you!
Congrats on your gcses and good luck with your a levels, they sound really interesting! will be following your thread :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by shalomjackie
Congrats on your gcses and good luck with your a levels, they sound really interesting! will be following your thread :smile:

thank you! (shalommm to you all:wink:)
thank you! (shalommm to you all:wink:)

yess that reply is just a lovely bit of squirrel
Reply 14
tuesday 28th august 2018

40253690_283621225699781_889529297990057984_n.jpg

today was enrolment day so now it's all official! my tutor was so lovely and she's also my politics teacher, so i can't wait for her lessons! overheard her speaking to the philosophy teacher while she was signing my form off, and she was like ''look at her 9s!!! don't let her switch from philosophy" and now i feel wayyyyy more confident about starting.

i also got given all my prep work so i've been cracking on at that! it's definitely a struggle to get back into a working mindset, i've been losing focus after writing a few words but i'm sure it'll all come back to me soon.

history
i got halfway through this without getting frazzled - it was a detailed profile of james i, his foreign policy, relationship with parliament, etc etc. it's actually super interesting and considering i studied elizabeth last year, it's a really nice natural follow up. i'm particularly enjoying researching his finances - i found sources online on the national trust detailing all these weird things he bought, and about how he gifted loads of money to his scottish friends to the point parliament got sick of it and he had to dissolve them after 8 weeks.

politics
this task was a lot easier but it also let my politics nerd side out so i loved it! i had to write about athenian democracy and whether it was fair or not. it's pretty cool to see how much political systems have changed - what was a totally radical idea back then is just something we take for granted now. then i had to make a list of why voting was important (which gave me chance to pull out the old ''not voting is like going to nandos'' story by nick clegg), and one with all the issues that would convince me to vote for a party. finally, a table with every referendum since '97 and the outcome - had a little internal cry when i had to write that we voted to leave the eu!

philosophy
we got given a tick list with lots of different statements on, e.g. "there are no objective moral standards'' and had to agree or disagree. then there was a table that pointed out all the inconsistencies in beliefs - for example one of mine is that i agreed with that statement, but also agreed that genocide was an example of man's ability to do evil, so i had to justify this inconsistency and explain why it happened. it was very tricky but so interesting!

other stuff
btw, bake off starts tonight!! i will purely be watching for noel fielding, but is anyone else looking forward to it?
also, i'm thinking of doing a weekly playlist for this blog w/ songs that keep me motivated - anyone interested?

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Yasss girl! Can't wait to see more xox
tuesday 28th august 2018

lol i honestly forgot how to write.
not sure about others but i could do with new song recommendations. do a weekly playlist it sounds veryyy interesting!!
there's a lot of ads but yh i'll be watching it. i almost forgot it was on....
keep up the good workk!! and your organisation skills :adore: i could pick up a few pointers from you
Reply 17
Original post by rainclouds-
lol i honestly forgot how to write.
not sure about others but i could do with new song recommendations. do a weekly playlist it sounds veryyy interesting!!
there's a lot of ads but yh i'll be watching it. i almost forgot it was on....
keep up the good workk!! and your organisation skills :adore: i could pick up a few pointers from you

oh god i am the opposite of organised!!! but fake it till ya make it amirite
yes sis coming thru with those aesthetic notes i like it
Reply 19
Original post by troubletracking
yes sis coming thru with those aesthetic notes i like it

it’s all in the colour schemes gal 🤷🏻*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending