The Student Room Group

Am I good enough to study medicine

After seeing other peoples GCSEs and A-levels I don't think I'm good enough to study medicine
my GCSEs are: A*AAAAABBBC
A-levels: A*AA
I haven't done my ukcat yet but I might not do it since I don't think I even compare to others wanting to do medicine and I'm really struggling with my ukcat revision, I haven't done many extracurricular activities apart from NCS and I've been struggling to find work experience over the last couple of months

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z1401
After seeing other peoples GCSEs and A-levels I don't think I'm good enough to study medicine
my GCSEs are: A*AAAAABBBC
A-levels: A*AA
I haven't done my ukcat yet but I might not do it since I don't think I even compare to others wanting to do medicine and I'm really struggling with my ukcat revision, I haven't done many extracurricular activities apart from NCS and I've been struggling to find work experience over the last couple of months

Work experience is really key to a medicine application.

Why not head over to the Medicine forum to see where/how others got theirs?
Those a levels are good enough for every medical school (except Cambridge) so you are good enough academically. Of course you also need to show an interest with volunteering or work experience. Work experience doesn’t have to be in a hospital as it is quite tough to get - have you tried volunteering in a care home or something similar?
Original post by Foreverton
Those a levels are good enough for every medical school (except Cambridge) so you are good enough academically. Of course you also need to show an interest with volunteering or work experience. Work experience doesn’t have to be in a hospital as it is quite tough to get - have you tried volunteering in a care home or something similar?

The closest thing i have is when i volunteered at a charity called RAMFEL for refugees and i organised a fundraising event and raised £200
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Work experience is really key to a medicine application.

Why not head over to the Medicine forum to see where/how others got theirs?

i will, thanks for the help!
Original post by z1401
The closest thing i have is when i volunteered at a charity called RAMFEL for refugees and i organised a fundraising event and raised £200

Anything you can do to show an interest in medicine and an understanding of healthcare is vital. At this stage that will mainly be books and lectures but if u can do some volunteering until October that would be great. You can also organise work experience for after application or interviews and explain that you’ve organised it for then or talk about it at interviews
Anything you can do to show an interest in medicine and an understanding of healthcare is vital. At this stage that will mainly be books and lectures but if u can do some volunteering until October that would be great. You can also organise work experience for after application or interviews and explain that you’ve organised it for then or talk about it at interviews

thanks so much for the help - do you have any advice for personal statement writing?
Original post by z1401
thanks so much for the help - do you have any advice for personal statement writing?

I wish I did - I’m writing my own right now!
I wish I did - I’m writing my own right now!

oh i assumed you were older than i was, well good luck. What unis are thinking about applying to?
Original post by z1401
oh i assumed you were older than i was, well good luck. What unis are thinking about applying to?

Nope aha year 12 - oxford, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh you?
Nope aha year 12 - oxford, Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh you?

Wow oxford! im applying to KCL Queen mary, Birmingham and Manchester. I'm guessing you dont live in london unless you wanna live away from home. Have you done your ukcat/bmat yet?
Original post by z1401
Wow oxford! im applying to KCL Queen mary, Birmingham and Manchester. I'm guessing you dont live in london unless you wanna live away from home. Have you done your ukcat/bmat yet?

I'd recommend not being too definite on your uni's yet until after you do your UKCAT(it can affect where you choose to apply) but it's still good to have an idea.
Advice for PS: link everything to medicine, include extra curriculars. Begin with why you want to study, then work experience and then a bit on extra curriculars
Original post by z1401

Haha doesn’t mean I’ll get in though! I did my ukcat in July and doing bmat in October. I do actually live in London but yeah like you said I wanna be away from home
Original post by AzureCeleste
I'd recommend not being too definite on your uni's yet until after you do your UKCAT(it can affect where you choose to apply) but it's still good to have an idea.
Advice for PS: link everything to medicine, include extra curriculars. Begin with why you want to study, then work experience and then a bit on extra curriculars

my uni choices aren't definite yet those are the 4 i would like to go to - with extra curriculars does it have to be something ''official'' like playing for a competitive team or can it be stuff that i do for fun/hobbies
Haha doesn’t mean I’ll get in though! I did my ukcat in July and doing bmat in October. I do actually live in London but yeah like you said I wanna be away from home

What did you use to revise for your ukcat because I'm really struggling? And what results did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by z1401
What did you use to revise for your ukcat because I'm really struggling? And what results did you get if you don't mind me asking?

I got 807.5 - I mostly used the ISC book and medify. I found it was important to balance revision according to what types of questions I was struggling with and medify was great for this. As everyone always says, making sure you do lots of timed practice is so so important. There are lots of tips and tricks but I think it is simply the more you practise the better you will get - good luck with your preparation!
I got 807.5 - I mostly used the ISC book and medify. I found it was important to balance revision according to what types of questions I was struggling with and medify was great for this. As everyone always says, making sure you do lots of timed practice is so so important. There are lots of tips and tricks but I think it is simply the more you practise the better you will get - good luck with your preparation!

thanks!
Original post by z1401
my uni choices aren't definite yet those are the 4 i would like to go to - with extra curriculars does it have to be something ''official'' like playing for a competitive team or can it be stuff that i do for fun/hobbies

Well what examples do you have?
Like I play football, not competively, but it allowed me to build up teamwork. I also played in a band for years which showed commitment. If you can link it to medicine than anything is fine
I honestly think you have a great shot
Original post by AzureCeleste
Well what examples do you have?
Like I play football, not competively, but it allowed me to build up teamwork. I also played in a band for years which showed commitment. If you can link it to medicine than anything is fine

i play football too but not competitively, i do a lot of art - especially painting, i painted feature walls in my house (it took forever) i also taught myself to play the piano (i cant read sheet music but ive learned many songs by ear.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending