The Student Room Group

Can I apply to a permanent position with the intention of leaving after 10/12 months?

I'm on a gap year, and the only decent office jobs are mostly permanent. Is it ok to leave after 10 months (I intend to travel for the last 2 months before uni but would work if there is a problem with this)?

Thank you!
I had a similar problem. It's probably best to let the company know your intentions
Reply 2
Original post by JIMBO789
I had a similar problem. It's probably best to let the company know your intentions

Even if I work for a year? Surely people leave if the job isn't for them? All the temp jobs are badly paid in comparison
Original post by Zaporizhia
Even if I work for a year? Surely people leave if the job isn't for them? All the temp jobs are badly paid in comparison

Honestly, it’s fine. Check the company requirements for when you have to give notice, usually it’s a month / 3 months, and and at that time then give them notice, on the basis of you’ve now decided to go to university.
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
Honestly, it’s fine. Check the company requirements for when you have to give notice, usually it’s a month / 3 months, and and at that time then give them notice, on the basis of you’ve now decided to go to university.

Thanks for this, I'm yet to be interviewed anyway haha
Reply 5

You don't need to tell them when you start. People have a whole host of reasons for leaving jobs.

As Flora has said, make sure you check what notice is required. If it's a small company you might want to give them a bit of advanced notice so they are not left short-staffed but that's entirely up to you, you don't have to.

Enjoy your gap year.
Reply 6
Original post by marple
You don't need to tell them when you start. People have a whole host of reasons for leaving jobs.

As Flora has said, make sure you check what notice is required. If it's a small company you might want to give them a bit of advanced notice so they are not left short-staffed but that's entirely up to you, you don't have to.

Enjoy your gap year.

Thank you!
I'm on a gap year, and the only decent office jobs are mostly permanent. Is it ok to leave after 10 months (I intend to travel for the last 2 months before uni but would work if there is a problem with this)?

Thank you!

Original post by JIMBO789

It's a problem for the employer, because hiring new staff costs a) money in the time spent on the hiring process and b) money lost in the gap/lack of productivity by having a new member of staff.

If you tell the employer during the recruitment process then they almost certainly won't hire you, 10 months isn't sufficient return on training/hiring costs.

If you tell the employer at any point during the period of employment (including any colleagues, because they blab) then they may well cut their losses and get rid of you asap, which as you will have less than 2 year's employment will be straightforward.

If the employer asks and you lie, then in theory they've got a straightforward case for dismissal on the ground of gross misconduct - lying about something used during the recruitment process.

So all in all, there's nothing legal stopping you, but the employer might.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
It's a problem for the employer, because hiring new staff costs a) money in the time spent on the hiring process and b) money lost in the gap/lack of productivity by having a new member of staff.

If you tell the employer during the recruitment process then they almost certainly won't hire you, 10 months isn't sufficient return on training/hiring costs.

If you tell the employer at any point during the period of employment (including any colleagues, because they blab) then they may well cut their losses and get rid of you asap, which as you will have less than 2 year's employment will be straightforward.

If the employer asks and you lie, then in theory they've got a straightforward case for dismissal on the ground of gross misconduct - lying about something used during the recruitment process.

So all in all, there's nothing legal stopping you, but the employer might.

Surely people are able to be undecided with what they will be doing after a year? I could ask for part-time instead, or just work during uni holidays so it's not a complete 'loss' for them. Also, I am able to be undecided whether I want to go to uni next year or not - who knows. If they ask, I will say I am undecided
Surely people are able to be undecided with what they will be doing after a year? I could ask for part-time instead, or just work during uni holidays so it's not a complete 'loss' for them. Also, I am able to be undecided whether I want to go to uni next year or not - who knows. If they ask, I will say I am undecided

You can be undecided, they can choose people that are not undecided, and they probably will. This is their business they are working for, and employees while necessary, are a risk. They employ the ones that are the least risky.
You can be undecided, they can choose people that are not undecided, and they probably will. This is their business they are working for, and employees while necessary, are a risk. They employ the ones that are the least risky.

It's a very large financial company. If they ask I will just say I'm not planning to go to uni - that's it. Surely there's no problem with that? Anyway, I haven't even got the job yet
And I'm poor af
It's a very large financial company. If they ask I will just say I'm not planning to go to uni - that's it. Surely there's no problem with that? Anyway, I haven't even got the job yet

You you hold a deferred place?

What if they ask why you aren't going to Uni? Do you have decent grades?

Are you saying in your application that you want a career in this industry? Are you going to have to pretend you are interested in non-graduate entry when you really plan for graduate entry? Are you going to keep that hidden for 10 months?
You you hold a deferred place?

What if they ask why you aren't going to Uni? Do you have decent grades?

Are you saying in your application that you want a career in this industry? Are you going to have to pretend you are interested in non-graduate entry when you really plan for graduate entry? Are you going to keep that hidden for 10 months?

I got AAAD, resitting maths (I will say it looks better for finance to have an A in maths rather than a D). I have no uni place currently. If they ask why I'm not going, I will say I need to save up for a few years first
I got AAAD, resitting maths (I will say it looks better for finance to have an A in maths rather than a D). I have no uni place currently. If they ask why I'm not going, I will say I need to save up for a few years first

That's more than enough to not take a risk on you I'm afraid.
That's more than enough to not take a risk on you I'm afraid.

Why lol, the position is only for school leavers...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending