A-levels: Maths or further maths? Watch

username3062024
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I want to do chemistry, biology or biochemistry as a degree. Hence, should I do further maths or physics. I am currently doing single maths and an AS in FM. Help please!!

NB I got a clean sweep of IGCSE A* and 9's (only English and maths is 1-9 for IGCSE)
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If you want to do Chemistry, you need A-level Chemistry, which is also a requirement for many bioscience courses, including Biochemistry. Usually the latter also require or prefer A-level Biology, so that would be a sensible second choice. For your third option, normally anything is fine, but some prefer three STEM subjects and a few (e.g. Cambridge Natural Sciences) may require A-level Maths.

A-level Further Maths isn't required for any of the courses you noted, but might be helpful for some Chemistry degree courses (not so much the bioscience ones though). A-level Physics may be helpful for a Chemistry degree as well, but isn't required and A-level Maths would probably be more useful than A-level Physics if you have to choose between them. Taking FM only to AS would be a good compromise to make sure you get the necessary grades in the three main A-levels, and you'll have covered most/all of the relevant topics to Chemistry in the AS I believe (matrices, complex numbers, more calculus and vectors primarily).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads