The Student Room Group

Is a lower GCSE grade in an unrelated subject a problem for Oxford or Cambridge?

This is most likely a silly question and I'm mainly looking for some reassurance in the aftermath of GCSE results day - I received a grade 6 in Computer Science which is by no means a bad result (and I'm sending it off to be remarked since I'm 1 mark off the grade boundary) but it is something of an outlier compared to my other results. My question is, would this one lower grade be a hindrance when applying to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge for either Classics or Law? I'm not so much worried about the fact that the GCSE is Comp Sci as I know it's unrelated to the degree I will most likely apply for but when compared to students who will often have no 6s, will this one result hurt my application? (Especially now that AS levels have been scrapped and GCSEs will be the only official results that universities can judge students by upon application)
Nope, they shouldn't really. You have AS mocks and predictions also on top of GCSEs, which matter more. Did you get 8/9 in the stuff you want to study for A level and beyond?
It's probably not an issue for Oxford, but it depends on your overall proportion of I guess 8s/9s (basically A* proportion). I doubt Cambridge will care at all as they tend not put much weight on GCSEs.
Reply 3
Original post by thekidwhogames
Nope, they shouldn't really. You have AS mocks and predictions also on top of GCSEs, which matter more. Did you get 8/9 in the stuff you want to study for A level and beyond?

Yep, I received 9s in the subjects that I plan on studying for A Level and I appreciate that other factors are more important than GCSEs as you said, just this one result that has me a bit worried
Original post by izzysm
This is most likely a silly question and I'm mainly looking for some reassurance in the aftermath of GCSE results day - I received a grade 6 in Computer Science which is by no means a bad result (and I'm sending it off to be remarked since I'm 1 mark off the grade boundary) but it is something of an outlier compared to my other results. My question is, would this one lower grade be a hindrance when applying to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge for either Classics or Law? I'm not so much worried about the fact that the GCSE is Comp Sci as I know it's unrelated to the degree I will most likely apply for but when compared to students who will often have no 6s, will this one result hurt my application? (Especially now that AS levels have been scrapped and GCSEs will be the only official results that universities can judge students by upon application)

In general, Oxford put a lot more emphasis on GCSE's than Cambridge, so almost everyone that applies to Oxbridge without strong GCSE's will apply to Cambridge as you'd stand a better chance if the rest of your application is strong. So i'd say that you would stand a better chance at cambridge if you're not too happy with your GCSEs. :smile:
Original post by izzysm
Yep, I received 9s in the subjects that I plan on studying for A Level and I appreciate that other factors are more important than GCSEs as you said, just this one result that has me a bit worried

I'm in a similar boat to you and these little results don't really matter. Plan on smashing A levels all A*, work on your extra-curricular and personal statement and you're set for Oxbridge (plus entrance exams, etc).
Reply 6
Original post by Grade A
In general, Oxford put a lot more emphasis on GCSE's than Cambridge, so almost everyone that applies to Oxbridge without strong GCSE's will apply to Cambridge as you'd stand a better chance if the rest of your application is strong. So i'd say that you would stand a better chance at cambridge if you're not too happy with your GCSEs. :smile:

I'd say my GCSEs are pretty strong and I've got a good proportion of 9s, just this one result really that's a bit of an anomaly :frown:
Reply 7
They're not just looking at the number of 9s and 8s that you have. The admissions staff are careful and will spend a lot of time on each individual application - that's why the deadline is so early. I was told at the open day that on average 5 academics will see your application.
So don't worry about that
Original post by izzysm
I'd say my GCSEs are pretty strong and I've got a good proportion of 9s, just this one result really that's a bit of an anomaly :frown:

Then you've absolutely no problem with applying to any of them. Actually, the fact that Oxford put some emphasis on GCSE's would be an advantage to you as you'd be a competitive applicant with your current GCSE grades.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Grade A
Then you've absolutely no problem with applying to any of them. Actually, the fact that Oxford put some emphasis on GCSE's would be an advantage to you as you'd be a competitive applicant with your current GCSE grades.:smile:

Ok, thanks for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest