Harry1209
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to do my Extended Project on a topic related to biology (genetics if possible), but no matter how much research I do, I cant find the right one to get me an A. Any suggestions?
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how about whether NHS should be privatised,or about IVF, Siamese twins, embreyo screening, abortion, anything like that you could do it about the nervous system, and the brain. marine biology, conservation of like wildforests anything.. I did mine about IVF.
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Harry1209)
I would like to do my Extended Project on a topic related to biology, but no matter how much research I do, I cant find the right one to get me an A. Any suggestions?
Just to nit pick, there is no topic that will 'get you an A' it's solely dependent on how you approach the unit and how well you explain your thought process and analysis of your chosen topic.

Given that, you're expected to know a topic quite considerably for the extended project, and for that if you want to stick to biology then there are 2 routes I would recommend.

a) you use a concept which is going to be taught on your biology course (this will help you understand that concept which will also help you in your biology exam) but i'm not sure if that's still allowed

b) you focus on a very specific topic about biology. Find a topic you're interested in for example senses and sensory stimuli. That's a huge topic, then perhaps focus on one condition very specifically. i.e. Synesthesia (very strange condition where people "feel" or "smell" words) their senses get mixed up. Or Prosopagnosia, a visual disorder with the inability to see human faces.
Another topic maybe sleep ? Hypnagogia is the science of studying the hallucinations you experience in the stage between deep sleep and wakefulness.

These are just ideas of stuff I've studied, there are loads of wonderful and weird things to study, if you give me a topic you're interested in I'd happily supply some ideas for you to research. Then the rest is just writing up about your topic
metejonmari
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One topic that I find really interesting and that I was initially planning to do an EPQ on but eventually decided not to due to time pressure is cloning. Not just Dolly the Sheep but also other circumstances such as the cloning of polo ponies which are now playing in the top tournaments in the world. You could get into the ethical/moral debate or the scientific side such as the ‘proved’ presence of ‘genetic memories’, where the cloned horse seems to almost inherit certain skills and traits that they have no reason to already know. There’d be quite a lot to research and write about I think.
Harry1209
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by SamuelSingleton)
Just to nit pick, there is no topic that will 'get you an A' it's solely dependent on how you approach the unit and how well you explain your thought process and analysis of your chosen topic.

Given that, you're expected to know a topic quite considerably for the extended project, and for that if you want to stick to biology then there are 2 routes I would recommend.

a) you use a concept which is going to be taught on your biology course (this will help you understand that concept which will also help you in your biology exam) but i'm not sure if that's still allowed

b) you focus on a very specific topic about biology. Find a topic you're interested in for example senses and sensory stimuli. That's a huge topic, then perhaps focus on one condition very specifically. i.e. Synesthesia (very strange condition where people "feel" or "smell" words) their senses get mixed up. Or Prosopagnosia, a visual disorder with the inability to see human faces.
Another topic maybe sleep ? Hypnagogia is the science of studying the hallucinations you experience in the stage between deep sleep and wakefulness.

These are just ideas of stuff I've studied, there are loads of wonderful and weird things to study, if you give me a topic you're interested in I'd happily supply some ideas for you to research. Then the rest is just writing up about your topic
Thanks for the detailed answer. With regards to the last bit of your answer, the biology topic I am most interested in is genetics.
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Harry1209)
Thanks for the detailed answer. With regards to the last bit of your answer, the biology topic I am most interested in is genetics.
One topic I would suggest for you then is a brand new and emerging piece of technology called CRISPR-CAS9 this would make for an interesting EPQ and the underlying concept is not too hard to understand.

Essentially it was first identified as a defence mechanism bacteria use as immunity from viral infection. The CRISPR-CAS9 genetic machinery has since been hijacked to become (arguably for me) the most powerful tool for genetic manipulation we have to date, it is so much faster, cheaper, more accurate, and more efficient than any other existing genome editing methods and the implications are massive. You can create true genome wide knock out animals, it can be used to "treat" genetic mutations in human embryos such that genetic disorders may become something of the past very soon.

In your EPQ you could then give a very good argument on for example contrasting the great benefits CRISPR CAS9 has for science and medicine, with the ethical considerations (designer babies or human engineering would be big topics just off the top of my head) that this technique involves

hope you find that interesting
rosediggle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi i just read that you did your epq based on IVF i was just wondering if you could tell me the title of your prodject as i am struggling to find a base. thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads