How hard is Chem, Biol Phys at A level??

Watch
HelloThere191817
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got 12 A* at gcse (im in wales so not on the new 9-1 system) and I’m terrified of starting sixth form next year with these choices. Since I’m in Wales I’ll be doing welsh bacc aswell. I want to study medicene. What I want to know is, considering my gcse grades, how hard will I find a level science? -(I did double award btw but got full marks in my chemistry and biology exams)
MediocreSince01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
I got 12 A* at gcse (im in wales so not on the new 9-1 system) and I’m terrified of starting sixth form next year with these choices. Since I’m in Wales I’ll be doing welsh bacc aswell. I want to study medicene. What I want to know is, considering my gcse grades, how hard will I find a level science? -(I did double award btw but got full marks in my chemistry and biology exams)
Congratulations on those results!

I can’t say anything about physics, but I’m going into my second year with biology and chemistry and as long as you’re willing to put the work in and practice, you’ll be fine. Helps a lot if you enjoy the subjects.

In terms of biology, there’s just a lot of content, especially compared to the old specification A-Level but you’ll be fine (and appear completely capable with those grades) as long as you stay on top of the work and use practice exam questions often to test each topic.

In terms of chemistry, the biggest difficulty I had was there’s a lot of new topics that we hadn’t even looked at before and as with biology, you should just stay on top of things, ask your teacher about anything you’re unsure about and just work as you go along.

The major issue with most students is not staying on top of things, and getting to the end of year mocks not having created revision resources, not understanding content or not having done exam questions - you need to be doing this as you go along. It’s not only easier, but it saves time. Plus, revising something that you’ve lesrnt in lesson, and revised at home previously in the year, will be a lot easier because you’ll just be refreshing your memory.

Must admit though, despite the increased workload, I’m finding biology and chemistry a lot more interesting that I did at GCSE.
MiracleLeaf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those results are amazing !! Well done !
I didn’t do Physics, but for Biology and Chemistry, make sure you don’t start drowning in the work. Start revising early (like from September) and stay on top of everything !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise