The Student Room Group

A Level Advice

I just got my GCSE results yesterday and they were as followed (I'm on WJEC and they still use letter grades.)
Maths - B
Numeracy - B
English Language - C
English LIterature - C
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
Physics - B
RS - A
Computing - B
History - A
Welsh - C
Welsh Bacc - Pass

Obviously not the worst grades but I still feel that I could've done much better. My revision was very minimal (Mainly the day before) which didn't turn out to bad but I know if i carry on this trend it will turn out very badly. If anyone has any advice on actually carrying through with revision it would be greatly appreciated. Also im taking Computing,History and Maths so if anyone has any advice for those specific subjects and any revision material for them it would also be appreciated
Reply 1
Ur GCSEs aren't bad at all... many people do really bad in GCSEs but you're not one of them. I recommend that next year, you'll have to study from day 1 and avoid cramming, as the A levels are way more important than GCSEs!!!best of luck!
physics and maths tutor is good for maths material including past papers :smile:
Reply 3
I have some tips I've been sharing out, they may help you. I've copied and pasted it below.

-The key thing to do it make sure you understand the content. Really understand it and write the notes down in the simplest manner possible. Write it in a way that if someone else were to read it, they would understand. And make your notes really straight forward, so that you are revising a few lines, instead of many paragraphs.

Get through all the content now. And then focus on memorising. Once you've done the content, revise each topic at a time. So revise topic 1 and then do practice questions on topic 1, and do that for each topic until you've covered them all. But at the same time, once you start doing practice questions for topic 1, you don't want to be just revising topic 1, you want to be revising everything, so continuously running through your notes. Eventually, after a few times you'll have the notes down in your head, easy. The first few times revising your notes can take some time, but if you go through them at least 1x per week, within 3-4 weeks you'll be cruising them. E.g. it would take me on average only 3-4 hours to revise an entire module in Biology and Chemistry.

I suggest you run through all the content from now. Try getting it done by October. That way you'll have November till April/May to sort your exam technique out, which is way more time than is actually needed.

And make sure when you self-mark, you are aware of where exactly, and why you lost marks on a question, and also where you went right, as sometimes you can get questions right by fluking them -

Quick Reply

Latest