How to get into medicine? Watch

laiba__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

my dream is to study medicine at Oxbridge but I'm not sure how to get there.
Currently, I'm in year 10, going into year 11 and I need advice on grades.
How many 9/8/7 does Oxbridge require? If I get good grades in subjects like maths, English and science but not so good in languages (I'm taking Arabic), will it matter?
My predicted grades are currently:
Maths: 8/9
English Lit & Lang: 8
Triple Science (order bio, chem, physics): 8/7/7
Arabic: 5
Citizenship:8
Re: 7/8
Comp. Science: 6
History:7

Is this good enough? Does comp.science and languages really matter?

Any advice would be appreciated.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Although the languages/compsci aren't medicine subjects they would prefer for you to have as a high a possible grades in them.
Your predicted grades seem ok, I'd probably lean to applying to cambridge with them purely because oxford tend to be more GCSE heavy but ultimately it's up to you.

Atm just focus on getting the best grades possible and then think about where you want to end up applying to.
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I hate to break it to you, but 8/7/7 in sciences is uncompetitive for Oxbridge medicine. Of course they're just predictions and you can do better than them, but really you ought to have at least 8/8/8. Work hard and you can almost certainly get that. As for other GCSEs, they probably aren't as important but when you're dealing with one of the most competitive courses in the country, every grade counts really.

You're more than 2 years away from applying. A lot can happen between now and then. Your passion may change or you may find that you suddenly struggle (or suddenly do really well) at A-level. There's no need to become fixated on a course at this stage.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You would need to do better for Oxford as per the link below.

Whilst Cambridge don't care as much about GCSEs, you will need to get A*A*A in 3 science subjects or maths at A-level, and your triple science being only 778 does make me wonder how you're going to achieve that.

You needto aim to do better if you want to be achieving Oxbridge medicine, especially in the sciences. Medicine is a science, after all!

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics
laiba__
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Although the languages/compsci aren't medicine subjects they would prefer for you to have as a high a possible grades in them.
Your predicted grades seem ok, I'd probably lean to applying to cambridge with them purely because oxford tend to be more GCSE heavy but ultimately it's up to you.

Atm just focus on getting the best grades possible and then think about where you want to end up applying to.

aight thanks
DGeorge13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Try to not focus on uni too much at the moment although it’s good to have ambitions. If I were you my best piece of advice would be to take stock of your strengths and weaknesses and then improve your revision as a result to try and smash your predicted grades. If you don’t beat them don’t worry too much as you would still be able to apply to med school with your grades but you’d have to apply more tactically and therefore avoid GCSE heavy unis. Good luck.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
laiba__
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
You would need to do better for Oxford as per the link below.

Whilst Cambridge don't care as much about GCSEs, you will need to get A*A*A in 3 science subjects or maths at A-level, and your triple science being only 778 does make me wonder how you're going to achieve that.

You needto aim to do better if you want to be achieving Oxbridge medicine, especially in the sciences. Medicine is a science, after all!

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

thanks for the link. It's still early days as these are technically my predicted grades for december but thanks for the advice.
Aliila
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'd focus on improving the Arabic and computer science grades from the start of yr 11. You still have plenty of time in which you can improve a lot. It is definitely possible for you to get higher than your predicted grades e.g. I had predictions of 7s for sciences and averaged grade 7s throughout yr 10 and 11 in class assessments, got 678 in physics, chem and bio in yr11 Jan mocks and ended up getting 9s in the actual exams.
Invective
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You still have a lot of time, but don't take this lightly because you need to work your heart out (literally) and I promise it'll all pay off.

I was in a similar situation but my predicted grades where a lot lower than yours(Cs/4 and 5s). I worked so hard in Year 10 and 11 and completely smashed my target grades and all expectations and achieved a healthy proportion of A*/As, good enough for Medicine. You need to work and have the mindset of a person capable of getting all 9/8s in their GCSEs if you are to have any chance achieving such grades.

Best advice I can give you at this stage is to copy the highest achiever in your class(es) but double their work-load. Work until you struggle to find a weakness (you will always have one unless you're getting 100% in exams) Focus all of your time into your studies and I assure you it'll pay off. Don't and I promise you'll regret not putting in the dire but extra time you didn't spend preparing in this critical moment of your academic career. You won't be doing it for too long (you'll understand once you've achieved and looked back on the time you spent)

Edit: Your GCSEs will be looked at overall when applying to medicine, the proportion of A*/As rather than your individual subject grades. So if you get a bunch of A*/As only you will be perfectly fine GCSE-wise.
laiba__
Rep:
?
(Original post by Invective)
You still have a lot of time, but don't take this lightly because you need to work your heart out (literally) and I promise it'll all pay off.

I was in a similar situation but my predicted grades where a lot lower than yours(Cs/4 and 5s). I worked so hard in Year 10 and 11 and completely smashed my target grades and all expectations and achieved a healthy proportion of A*/As, good enough for Medicine. You need to work and have the mindset of a person capable of getting all 9/8s in their GCSEs if you are to have any chance achieving such grades.

Best advice I can give you at this stage is to copy the highest achiever in your class(es) but double their work-load. Work until you struggle to find a weakness (you will always have one unless you're getting 100% in exams) Focus all of your time into your studies and I assure you it'll pay off. Don't and I promise you'll regret not putting in the dire but extra time you didn't spend preparing in this critical moment of your academic career. You won't be doing it for too long (you'll understand once you've achieved and looked back on the time you spent)

Edit: Your GCSEs will be looked at overall when applying to medicine, the proportion of A*/As rather than your individual subject grades. So if you get a bunch of A*/As only you will be perfectly fine GCSE-wise.

tysm this really helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish