shfh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm resitting my A levels after getting BBB in Bio (OCR A), Chem (OCR A) and Maths (MEI). I'm aiming to achieve A*AA. I know its a stretch, and realistically speaking, AAA is more achievable, but I still want to try. There's a lot I know I did wrong in my A levels, so in my gap year, hoping to change that.

I'll be updating this every day (hopefully) to track my journey. I want to apply for med this year too, as I did last year. I got 2 offers last year and I know its going to be a lot more trickier this year, but I'll be updating my progress here too!

(Don't worry, I've checked which schools allow resits, so I'm pretty set on this route)

GCSE's: 4A*'s, 4A's, 1B.
EPQ: A*
First set of A levels: BBB
Aim: A*AA/AAA

Ukcat last year: 687.5 band 2
Ukcat this year: 690 band 1 (significant improvement much :/ lol )

So in summary, I'm just going to be documenting my UKCAT revision and A levels. I've been searching on TSR for resit applicant success stories for medicine and haven't really found a lot, but my hope is that I can set some sort of example hopefully!

Wish me luck!

Edit- I got into kings for med!
Last edited by shfh; 3 months ago
shfh
Rep:
?
So I'm just updating on my UKCAT progress. I did a lot of questions yesterday in the library, but I didn't really have a strategy :/. My plan today is (and yes I just started) is to work alone with no one around to think of some strategies. It's strange, my UKCAT was in the 8th decile last year, so I can't help but make comparisons between my revision and scores last year compared to right now. I'm going to go concentrate on my AR now.

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
OK. The plan for today is to perfect my abstract reasoning. I thought of a way to work through AR questions more logically yesterday and it worked with untimed questions. Today I'm going to try and make it work for timed questions. My plan is to focus on one section each day and see if that works better for me. So far, my aim was to do as much practice as possible but I realised I was practicing blindly so I'm going to try and find a strategy so I can work through the questions smartly and efficiently. I'll update my progress later today as to whether I have seen an improvement.

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
Quick update.

Today I went to the library and spent a good few hours doing some solid practice. I was still struggling with my abstract reasoning, and yesterday I did 19 questions (each out of 5) so I got 65/95 which wasn't great. However, I realised I was jumping to looking for harder patterns first and thats where most of my mistakes came from. Did more Abstract Reasoning today, and did a full mock in which I got 670 average, and 730 in abstract which I was really happy with. Going to focus on my weakest section in the mock from now on, which was decision.

S x
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
good luck!!
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck! I’ll be following along great to see such determination, i’m sure you’ll smash it
cytoplasm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck! Which medical schools were you thinking of applying to?
shfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by bubblecat)
Good luck! I’ll be following along great to see such determination, i’m sure you’ll smash it
Thank you!! Aha means a lot
shfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
good luck!!
Thanks
shfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by cytoplasm)
Good luck! Which medical schools were you thinking of applying to?
Thank you! I've got a list of a few, so I need to narrow it down for sure but so far: Bristol, Hull York, Kings, Sheffield, Anglia Ruskin and Exeter. These are just the ones that I've checked let me reapply, but I'm leaning more towards the first four. However, saying that, I'm going to make sure I apply to the best places for my stats, and where I have the best shot at trying (Hopefully!)
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
same position bbc at AS and wanting to get AAA next year.. I'm doing UCKAT QR but i need to focus on AR good luck for your revision with uckat
Y12_FurtherMaths
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Love your idea and determination, all the best from me
shfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
same position bbc at AS and wanting to get AAA next year.. I'm doing UCKAT QR but i need to focus on AR good luck for your revision with uckat
Good luck and thanks! This is my second time doing the UKCAT so seems nostalgic (but not in the best way :/ ). After the UKCAT, focus on your grades and I'm sure you'll be fine. Trust me, having to do everything all again after year 13 is not fun, but don't worry!
shfh
Rep:
?
(Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths)
Love your idea and determination, all the best from me
Thank you so much, that made me smile
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shfh)
Good luck and thanks! This is my second time doing the UKCAT so seems nostalgic (but not in the best way :/ ). After the UKCAT, focus on your grades and I'm sure you'll be fine. Trust me, having to do everything all again after year 13 is not fun, but don't worry!
yeah I need to get 3 A's at the end of this year as i will be doomed, like i haven't been predicted 3 A's so i need 3A's take a gap year and then apply, I will focus on everything after UCKAT, bit stressed as im also doing an EPQ atm, which is due around about my uckat date, so it's all a bit hectic but im sure ill manage. Hope you do well too, just keep practicing that's all that one can do really
shfh
Rep:
?
Update for today.

Went to the library again, and did some decision and verbal questions. Was quite happy I got 27/34 in decision, which is much better than my mock score of 600 in DR yesterday! I'm just scared that these are once off sort of scores :/ . Annoyingly, I did one of the official UKCAT mocks today, and I slacked a bit and decided not to do the SJT at the end. I pressed end test before the SJT section, and it cancelled the whole test 1 hr 30 mins, and no score - not the happiest at that point. Oh well, might do another mock now to compensate.

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
Making a plan for today, so I can see how much progress I've made by the end of the day:

Plan:

Do a UKCAT mock
Focus on QR mostly
Do a good few sets of questions for each section

These plans are quite vague, just because I'm not sure how much exactly I'm going to do. However, this is giving me some incentive to get cracking on!

Starrting to think about my personal statement now, so I've been looking for a few places to volunteer, just because its been so long since I've been in an environment like that. I think I will get a better reflection out of it too, so hopefully I'll find something.

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
Checking up from yesterday:

So I managed to do 1 mock yesterday, and my score wasn't great. I struggled with QR and AR still. That's all I did yesterday. I was feeling a bit demotivated and glum too, but I'm going to start afresh today.

In terms of volunteering, I've found a few places and just waiting for replies back. Hopefully something can be sorted, as I would like to do volunteering for the long term, rather than just ending it once my UCAS is sent off.

Anyway, I'm planning to head to the library from 2-9 today, as that environment works best for me. Hopefully something positive out of that. My main concentration today is going to be QR and I've found some good AR videos on youtube, which I'm going to watch too!

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
Did I go to the library today? Nope. Sometimes I just completely forget what ambitious plan I make the day before. Lol. I watched some youtube videos on AR and one video has actually helped me find a really good strategy that gets my mind thinking quickly during AR. I just did one of the AR question banks from the UKCAT website, and I got 31/40. So pleased. I was feeling quite demotivated yesterday and I was avoiding revision today, so I decided to just fill my time by watching some strategy videos on youtube. Thank goodness for that. I think this strategy works, I just hope I can apply it to all questions I do, and not just jump to the 'look everywhere and think 10 different things at once' strategy I was using before!

S x
shfh
Rep:
?
Quite pleased with my progress today. Headed to the library, and spent a substantial amount of time there revising. I didn't make a timetable of what I was going to do once I got there, so as soon as I saw a computer, I thought, let me just do a mock. Note to self, never do a mock first thing in the morning. I'm not a morning person. My score was not great (I got 625) with my QR bringing me substantially down. Did some practice QR and AR questions, and I'm still getting the hang of QR. I scored 770 in QR last year in my UKCAT, and its seriously annoying me that I can't remember how I managed to pull that off! After a few hours on from doing timed questions, my head was getting a bit bored, so I decided to end the day with another mock. I wasn't happy going home without having achieved something good, hence I stayed for another mock. Definitely worth it! I got 690 average in this mock, with my ex-weak section (AR) scoring 730. My QR was 600 but I'm working on it. Hopefully I can figure a way out!

For tomorrow, I'm going to try and hack QR and just do those mini section mocks instead rather than a whole one. I think its best I target my weaknesses first. I've got around 3 weeks left till I sit my UKCAT, so my aim is, by the last week I shouldn't be scared of any section anymore, and know that I have a strategy for most if not all types of questions. I was lucky last year getting 687.5 in my UKCAT but this year I cannot count on maybe getting easy questions, as essentially, its my last shot. Probably the longest update I've done, but I think my brain just likes to rant at 1 am in the morning, can't help it :/ .

S x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (16)
40%
No I don't (15)
37.5%
I work during the holidays (9)
22.5%

Watched Threads