The Student Room Group

A*AA in a year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
So it’s Mid December and I guess I can give a proper review of the last month ish. Wow it’s been a tiring 2 months but obviously very important. So I’ve actually had 3 interviews now and I’m so grateful for all of them. I had kings, Sheffield and hull York, and a biomed interview for Manchester. That’s more trips up north in a month than the last few years ngl. Initially I was a bit worried because they were all a week after each other, but honestly I think it was a blessing in disguise. I was able to retain a lot of what I learnt/ thought so hopefully something good will come of it. The nervousness was definitely there, especially for my first interview. But because I had 2 interviews last year, it was a lot easier to crack on and forget about the nervousness this time round. Putting it into perspective, I applied to 3 London unis and 1 outside last year, so I never really got the chance to explore my options. This year I applied the opposite - 3 out and 1 London. Kind of happy I did that - got to see a lot more. I gave my best shot I think and i think the interviews were decent? but you know that small worry that what if you don’t get any offers. That’s slightly there because of taking that jump and already being in a year out but let’s see. Now it’s back to revision I guess, and I’m happy I can fully focus on this. I don’t know, I sort of expect that I’ll get the grades this year and the offers but I did that last year too. I guess this year it’s really putting the effort into it that matters. A lot. It’s really nice seeing my first post here and then looking at this one, i’m so glad how much has changed in a good way.
What advice would you give in terms of revision with the Christmas holidays coming up? I’ve got exams when I come back so two weeks to revise but I honestly don’t know where to start what to do should I make a revision timetable etc
Reply 182
Original post by hanaahxox
What advice would you give in terms of revision with the Christmas holidays coming up? I’ve got exams when I come back so two weeks to revise but I honestly don’t know where to start what to do should I make a revision timetable etc

Yep definitely start with a timetable. It’s crucial time so make one that you can manage. I’ve got mocks from school in January too so kind of in the same position. I used a monthly calendar to write down what topics I want to achieve each day and then that makes it a whole lot easier for me to make a day timetable, with how much time I’m spending on each topic. Try to give 1 or 2 days before your exams start for nothing. I’m saying that because things will come up which You need to practise more or give more time to so you can do that calmly then. I’m giving myself time to do questions after the topic, so I can consolidate what I just learnt. Trying revision out properly tomorrow so let’s see if it works.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shfh
Yep definitely start with a timetable. It’s crucial time so make one that you can manage. I’ve got mocks from school in January too so kind of in the same position. I used a monthly calendar to write down what topics I want to achieve each day and then that makes it a whole lot easier for me to make a day timetable, with how much time I’m spending on each topic. Try to give 1 or 2 days before your exams start for nothing. I’m saying that because things will come up which You need to practise more or give more time to so you can do that calmly then. I’m giving myself time to do questions after the topic, so I can consolidate what I just learnt. Trying revision out properly tomorrow so let’s see if it works.

Thanks this is really helpful is there a specific monthly timetable you use, I just don’t know how to set it out really
Reply 184
Original post by hanaahxox
Thanks this is really helpful is there a specific monthly timetable you use, I just don’t know how to set it out really

I found this websie called timeanddate.com, and print their monthly calendar off. Tbh it was mostly cos I was lazy and didn't want to go out and buy one (also if one messes up, I just print a new one off). So for each day I write the topics I want to do, kind of like a to do list so I know when I'm finising by. They also have a weekly and daily version so all you have to decide then is how many hours you want to put in for that topic. I hated timetables so much last year, like absolutely detested them so maybe if this has lessened my hatred then you could try it out I guess
Hey, how’s it going?
Reply 186
Original post by uni20188
Hey, how’s it going?

Ah I forgot about this grow your grades thing. It’s going well actually, I’ve got exams in 2 months time and if things go to plan, I’ve actually got a place to go for uni for med! I think I may say more about this after exams are over and I’m planning to give a big fat reflection post after results day for those people who are in this situation next year. It’s been a good year, haven’t actually felt like this was a year it just went way too fast. Hbu?
Reply 187
Also, if anyone knows how to just be focused on revision consistently for a whole day, let me know, I’ll admit this is one thing I’m not doing very well in
Original post by shfh
Ah I forgot about this grow your grades thing. It’s going well actually, I’ve got exams in 2 months time and if things go to plan, I’ve actually got a place to go for uni for med! I think I may say more about this after exams are over and I’m planning to give a big fat reflection post after results day for those people who are in this situation next year. It’s been a good year, haven’t actually felt like this was a year it just went way too fast. Hbu?

I was thinking about resitting A Level chemistry but didn’t end up doing it. Got a place on the course I want anyways, and congrats on the med place!! Great to hear it’s going good for you this year
Original post by shfh

where do you have offers?
Reply 190
Original post by uni20188
I was thinking about resitting A Level chemistry but didn’t end up doing it. Got a place on the course I want anyways, and congrats on the med place!! Great to hear it’s going good for you this year

Oh wow, that's really good! As long as you're at uni doing the course you want, that's amazing! And thank you :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by social_chemist
where do you have offers?

Hmmm I was thinking to say after my exams are over but I suppose it wouldn't make a difference either way haha, i've just got to get the grades now! I've got all 4 offers this year - Kings, Southampton, Sheffield and Hull York thankfully :smile:
Original post by shfh
Hmmm I was thinking to say after my exams are over but I suppose it wouldn't make a difference either way haha, i've just got to get the grades now! I've got all 4 offers this year - Kings, Southampton, Sheffield and Hull York thankfully :smile:

that's really good congrats
maybe taking a gap year was a good idea hah
Reply 194
Original post by social_chemist
maybe taking a gap year was a good idea hah

thanks! yeh honestly, if this is the outcome, makes it worth the strange year this has been haha
Reply 195
I’ve been hoping to write this last post since I started this unexpected gap year. I’m going to Kings! For medicine! I got my grades! This thread has been inactive for a while so i’m not sure anyone is going to see this but it’s a way of me concluding my ‘grow your grades’ in the best way possible. When I was in this position last year, I wouldn’t say it was easy for me to choose to resit but it wasn’t hard either. I knew from seeing others, like Manisha, that this route could work and it was possible, and I was just so uncertain about doing the biomed to grad med route. In my opinion, I was tackling this now rather than later, and for me that worked better. This results day was possibly one of the best days of my life and it almost certainly validated my whole gap year experience. And that’s the issue with taking this route. It is tough, emotionally, to justify it at times. I wouldn’t say there’s an easier or harder route, it all comes down to personal preference and what you think you can get through and be the happiest in. It’s surreal to believe that I’m going to university, I’m still in a lot of disbelief. But I’m excited, and soon after writing this, I’m going to look back on my first few posts to see how far I’ve come since then. And one more thing, it’s going to be hard to find people in similar situations like you but use platforms like this to explore. I met a lot of amazing people throughout using the student room, and having that extra care and support helped absolute tons.
Reply 196
Oops, seems like I’m not done yet. Since starting this gap year, and praying since then that I would get the grades, I knew that if I do get the grades (or not!), I would make sure that if anyone has to face this situation, I can do my best and give all the advice I know. It’s a soul crushing experience and there’s so many questions to answer. So, I have a few tips, pointers and just observations to look out for
1. You have to know that this decision is the best for you. It’s a must to do as much research as you can on all your possible routes and then make an informed decision.
2. Resits are a bit tricky when looking at where to apply. Universities might change their mind when it comes to resit policies or become very vague with what they accept. For me both happened, good and bad. One university confirmed I could get a lower offer because of EPQ and then when i got the offer, they changed their policy and I got the normal offer instead. As for another university, they said resit applicants have to be extra competitive but this wasn’t as competitive as I’d expected, and I was treated the same as others at the interview, which is great. The point is, be cautious.
3. Schools might make resitting a bit tricky so definitely confirm with your school that the help they give to a school leaver is the same they will give to you. My school gave me a right scare when they said they wouldn’t predict me grades, however this was a misunderstanding in the end. There are resit colleges (very expensive imo) or private centres too, but I can’t recommend them as I haven’t tried them out.
4. Try and find people in similar situations to you as it makes the gap year less lonely, as sad as that sounds. For most unexpected gap years, your friends go off to uni and you’re left to pick up ur pieces. I was lucky that I had both friends I already knew in the same boat, and those I met through here!
5. It will take quite a while to accept the whole situation and you might find yourself feeling glum some days. I had a few of these days all the way to April. And it’s ok! But looking back, I’m happy with the choice I’ve made. Take breaks, do fun things, enjoy yourself too! Initially I was incredibly harsh on myself and limited myself to just studying but i did realise soon enough that that was a bit stupid. Make this gap year enjoyable too, for it really matures you up. The end ❤️
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by cytoplasm
Good luck! Which medical schools were you thinking of applying to?

I don’t even know why, but I love your username! 😂❤️
Good luck @shfh! You can do it!
Original post by shfh
Oops, seems like I’m not done yet. Since starting this gap year, and praying since then that I would get the grades, I knew that if I do get the grades (or not!), I would make sure that if anyone has to face this situation, I can do my best and give all the advice I know. It’s a soul crushing experience and there’s so many questions to answer. So, I have a few tips, pointers and just observations to look out for
1. You have to know that this decision is the best for you. It’s a must to do as much research as you can on all your possible routes and then make an informed decision.
2. Resits are a bit tricky when looking at where to apply. Universities might change their mind when it comes to resit policies or become very vague with what they accept. For me both happened, good and bad. One university confirmed I could get a lower offer because of EPQ and then when i got the offer, they changed their policy and I got the normal offer instead. As for another university, they said resit applicants have to be extra competitive but this wasn’t as competitive as I’d expected, and I was treated the same as others at the interview, which is great. The point is, be cautious.
3. Schools might make resitting a bit tricky so definitely confirm with your school that the help they give to a school leaver is the same they will give to you. My school gave me a right scare when they said they wouldn’t predict me grades, however this was a misunderstanding in the end. There are resit colleges (very expensive imo) or private centres too, but I can’t recommend them as I haven’t tried them out.
4. Try and find people in similar situations to you as it makes the gap year less lonely, as sad as that sounds. For most unexpected gap years, your friends go off to uni and you’re left to pick up ur pieces. I was lucky that I had both friends I already knew in the same boat, and those I met through here!
5. It will take quite a while to accept the whole situation and you might find yourself feeling glum some days. I had a few of these days all the way to April. And it’s ok! But looking back, I’m happy with the choice I’ve made. Take breaks, do fun things, enjoy yourself too! Initially I was incredibly harsh on myself and limited myself to just studying but i did realise soon enough that that was a bit stupid. Make this gap year enjoyable too, for it really matures you up. The end ❤️

so, so very happy for you. Discovering your thread and just casually reading the posts has genuinely made my entire day. Thank you.

You're really inspirational. :rambo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending