The Student Room Group

A*AA in a year

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by shfh
I’ve been hoping to write this last post since I started this unexpected gap year. I’m going to Kings! For medicine! I got my grades! This thread has been inactive for a while so i’m not sure anyone is going to see this but it’s a way of me concluding my ‘grow your grades’ in the best way possible. When I was in this position last year, I wouldn’t say it was easy for me to choose to resit but it wasn’t hard either. I knew from seeing others, like Manisha, that this route could work and it was possible, and I was just so uncertain about doing the biomed to grad med route. In my opinion, I was tackling this now rather than later, and for me that worked better. This results day was possibly one of the best days of my life and it almost certainly validated my whole gap year experience. And that’s the issue with taking this route. It is tough, emotionally, to justify it at times. I wouldn’t say there’s an easier or harder route, it all comes down to personal preference and what you think you can get through and be the happiest in. It’s surreal to believe that I’m going to university, I’m still in a lot of disbelief. But I’m excited, and soon after writing this, I’m going to look back on my first few posts to see how far I’ve come since then. And one more thing, it’s going to be hard to find people in similar situations like you but use platforms like this to explore. I met a lot of amazing people throughout using the student room, and having that extra care and support helped absolute tons.
Reply 201
Original post by ShyB
Good luck @shfh! You can do it!

thank you so much!!!!
Reply 202
Original post by Quick-use
so, so very happy for you. Discovering your thread and just casually reading the posts has genuinely made my entire day. Thank you.

You're really inspirational. :rambo:

That's the most beautiful comment I've received, thank you so much. Almost made me tear up. I'm glad
Reply 203
Original post by RebmaKopy
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!! Do let me know how you get along next year, and any help, Im here!
Wow I am so happy for you, your determination paid off... People in your situation would quit or apply post-grad... Once again I'm really happy for you
So happy for you! What a journey :h: Well done
Hey I want to apply to kings med this year but in a bit of a mess.

My stats are not amazing

I’m resitting a levels this year due to extenuating circumstances (I got BCD)

My GCSE’s: A*ABBBB655CC (I’m going to resit eng Lang and maths)

My predicted grades; I think my teacher will give me AAA at highest but the thing is bc my stats are weak I want to apply to foundation med at Bristol (I’m not eligible for kings)

But for that they require you to be predicted less then AAB and no A in CHEM

And the thing is I really don’t want to go outside of London

But looking at my stats it looks like I’m more likely to get an offer from Bristol then kings

I’m revising for my ucat rn, suffering with AR but I’m aiming to get 680-720

In terms of work epxirrnce I think I’m quite good in that, I’m currently volunteering at a hospital and I’ve done a clinical experience day at another hospital, other then that I’ve worked at an opticians and tutored students with learning difficulties and some other stuff in academics like reading two books and doing a future online course
Reply 207
Original post by Emilio Ramirez
Wow I am so happy for you, your determination paid off... People in your situation would quit or apply post-grad... Once again I'm really happy for you

Thank you SO much, it really means a lot
Reply 208
Original post by biofrance
So happy for you! What a journey :h: Well done

Aww thanks, it really has been but I’m glad I am where I am now
Reply 209
Original post by Alayna1234
Hey I want to apply to kings med this year but in a bit of a mess.

My stats are not amazing

I’m resitting a levels this year due to extenuating circumstances (I got BCD)

My GCSE’s: A*ABBBB655CC (I’m going to resit eng Lang and maths)

My predicted grades; I think my teacher will give me AAA at highest but the thing is bc my stats are weak I want to apply to foundation med at Bristol (I’m not eligible for kings)

But for that they require you to be predicted less then AAB and no A in CHEM

And the thing is I really don’t want to go outside of London

But looking at my stats it looks like I’m more likely to get an offer from Bristol then kings

I’m revising for my ucat rn, suffering with AR but I’m aiming to get 680-720

In terms of work epxirrnce I think I’m quite good in that, I’m currently volunteering at a hospital and I’ve done a clinical experience day at another hospital, other then that I’ve worked at an opticians and tutored students with learning difficulties and some other stuff in academics like reading two books and doing a future online course

Hey, thanks for popping up.
I’d recommend you check the freedom of information requests on whatdotheyknow for both kings and Bristol med. check your stats against others there to see where you stand. Personally, I’d go for Bristol because it seems likely you could at least get an interview and would mean you’d be doing medicine at least. I can’t really say for kings because a*aa was by no means easy for me to get and I could have easily missed my offer. But it’s up to you. But if you have extenuating circumstances, couldn’t you also apply for places like Barts or St. George’s if you really want to stay in London? As far as I remember they don’t discriminate if you have evidence
Original post by shfh
Hey, thanks for popping up.
I’d recommend you check the freedom of information requests on whatdotheyknow for both kings and Bristol med. check your stats against others there to see where you stand. Personally, I’d go for Bristol because it seems likely you could at least get an interview and would mean you’d be doing medicine at least. I can’t really say for kings because a*aa was by no means easy for me to get and I could have easily missed my offer. But it’s up to you. But if you have extenuating circumstances, couldn’t you also apply for places like Barts or St. George’s if you really want to stay in London? As far as I remember they don’t discriminate if you have evidence

Heya,

Yh the thing with Bristol is even tho it’s a higher chace there’s only 11-18 places a year :/

And I got my ucat which was 622.5 avg band 2.

I don’t know where to apply because my GCSE’s don’t meet the requirements currently (it does for Bristol yet again) but I am resitting them November

I don’t think St. George’s accept resits even with e.circumstances and QM does but they’re strict with the requirements, when I went to the opening day for med they said the people who don’t meet gcse they cut off then a level then ucat etc etc, so they don’t look at each profile as a whole.

Kings :/ I think I might have to give that up too and just apply for a life science there :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending